Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 questions

Neil_Fawcett
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 questions

So I'd plan on getting the standard pair of units to cover a largish 3 bedroom detached house:-

1. My internet comes into my study (which is an extension on the outside of the house - so double brick wall etc coming into the main house) and plug it into my Sky Q router. This router currently gives fairly good wireless internet connectivity around the house, except for a couple of poor spots upstairs.
  2. I'd plan on putting one of the Orbis onto the router (in the study in the extension on the side of the house). And then the other on the opposite side of the house (on the ground floor) under the stairs, so in effect with one far left and one about 10m away far right of the house (in the extension) on the ground floor.
  3. I'd hope this would then give good coverage to the whole house, and also especially good wireless access to the front door should I want to put Ring door bell there (which is about 10ft away from the stairs where the second Orbi will be).

^ Is this likely to give good coverage?

Couple of questions:-

1. Can you assign devices to their own named groups? eg: Assign all the kids devices to a group call "Kids" to more easily see them? I assume they could still be on the standard wireless network, but just grouped?
  2. Can you easily logon on remotely to your Orbi (eg: phone app) and see what devices are logged on. ie: See which kids devices are logged on? So you can see if the kids phones are connected and they are therefore home etc?

^ Is this functionality available with the Orbi in AP mode (ie: Wireless access point onto a Sky Q Router)?

Any advice on the RKB50?

So I'd plan on getting the standard pair of units to cover a largish 3 bedroom detached house:-
1) My internet comes into my study (which is an extension on the outside of the house - so double brick wall etc coming into the main house) and into my Sky Q router. This router currently gives fairly good internet connectivity around the house, except for a couple of poor spots upstairs.
2) I'd plan on putting one of the Orbis onto the router (in the study in the extension on the side of the house). And then the other on the opposit side of the house (on the ground floor) under the stairs, so in effect with one far left and far right of the house on the ground floor.
3) I'd hope this would then give good coverage to the whole house, and also especially good wireless access to the front door should I want to put Ring door bell there (which is about 10ft away from the stairs where the second Orbi will be).

1) Can you assign devices to their own named groups? eg: Assign all the kids devices to a group call "Kids" to more easily see them? I assume they could still be on the standard wireless network, but just grouped?
2) Can you easily logon on remotely to your Orbi and see what devices are logged on. ie: See which kids devices are logged on? So you can see if the kids phones are connected and they are therefore home?

^ Is this still available with the Orbi in AP mode (ie: Wireless access point onto the Sky Q Router)?
Any advice on the RKB50?

1) My internet comes into my study (which is an extension on the outside of the house - so double brick wall etc coming into the main house) and into my Sky Q router. This router currently gives fairly good internet connectivity around the house, except for a couple of poor spots upstairs.
2) I'd plan on putting one of the Orbis onto the router (in the study in the extension on the side of the house). And then the other on the opposit side of the house (on the ground floor) under the stairs, so in effect with one far left and far right of the house on the ground floor.
3) I'd hope this would then give good coverage to the whole house, and also especially good wireless access to the front door should I want to put Ring door bell there (which is about 10ft away from the stairs where the second Orbi will be).

1) Can you assign devices to their own named groups? eg: Assign all the kids devices to a group call "Kids" to more easily see them? I assume they could still be on the standard wireless network, but just grouped?
2) Can you easily logon on remotely to your Orbi and see what devices are logged on. ie: See which kids devices are logged on? So you can see if the kids phones are connected and they are therefore home?

^ Is this still available with the Orbi in AP mode (ie: Wireless access point onto the Sky Q Router)?
Any advice on the RKB50?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 questions

@Neil_Fawcett wrote:

1. My internet comes into my study (which is an extension on the outside of the house - so double brick wall etc coming into the main house) and plug it into my Sky Q router. This router currently gives fairly good wireless internet connectivity around the house, except for a couple of poor spots upstairs.
  2. I'd plan on putting one of the Orbis onto the router (in the study in the extension on the side of the house). And then the other on the opposite side of the house (on the ground floor) under the stairs, so in effect with one far left and one about 10m away far right of the house (in the extension) on the ground floor.
  3. I'd hope this would then give good coverage to the whole house, and also especially good wireless access to the front door should I want to put Ring door bell there (which is about 10ft away from the stairs where the second Orbi will be).

^ Is this likely to give good coverage?

I would review this and get something based on the size of home:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx

I have a 5000sq ft two story home and use a 40 series system, 1 router and 1 satellite. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between the base router and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials.

1. Can you assign devices to their own named groups? eg: Assign all the kids devices to a group call "Kids" to more easily see them? I assume they could still be on the standard wireless network, but just grouped?
  2. Can you easily logon on remotely to your Orbi (eg: phone app) and see what devices are logged on. ie: See which kids devices are logged on? So you can see if the kids phones are connected and they are therefore home etc?

^ Is this functionality available with the Orbi in AP mode (ie: Wireless access point onto a Sky Q Router)?
The MESH system is designed for a 1 SSID wifi broadcast. So any and all devices will only see the 1 SSID name for the entire home. The WiFi MESH system is not designed to be separated. The intended design is to use a single SSID name for all devices connecting via wireless. 

Any advice on the RKB50?

Any advice on the RKB50?

Any advice on the RKB50?

Message 2 of 4
Neil_Fawcett
Aspirant

It's a fairly typical three bedroom detached house with a single story extension down the side (with the study in), so 1500-2000 square feet at a total guess?

With the Orbi units placed on the ground floor at the far left (under the stairs) and the far right (out in the study in the extension). I suspect they'd be about 30ft apart, and obviously then hopefully also give good wifi to the floors above (which the current Sky Router out in the study just about does).

And my question as regards "groups" was not regarding SSIDs, but simply being able to see attached devices and group them. And ideally being able to easily remote log on using an android app on my phone and see if my kids phones are connected - ie: They're home!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I think the app only shows devices in a list and what is connected to the system. I don't believe there is a grouping feature. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7