Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 seems to be blocking ICMPv6 traffic to Internet Gateway

ianklug
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 seems to be blocking ICMPv6 traffic to Internet Gateway

I have an Orbi RBK50 on FW 2.2.1.210 set up in IP Passthrough mode from an Arris NVG599 RG from AT&T, which is connected to our fiber ONT. We have native IPv6 provided by AT&T.

Whenever I connect my computer directly to the RG via ethernet, IPv6 browsing works great and it has no trouble sending and recieving ICMPv6 error messages such as Packet Too Big (these packets are necessary for IPv6 browsing).

However, when connected to the Orbi (via ethernet or wifi), IPv6 kind of works, but ICMP messages do not seem to make it through, as evidenced by IPv6 sites not loading sometimes, and test websites like ipv6-test.com listing ICMP as "Filtered" rather than "Reachable".

This leads me to believe that perhaps the Orbi is blocking ICMPv6 traffic. Is there a way to disable this? Is the Orbi not the culprit?

I'm happy to provide more information if it will help. Thanks.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 seems to be blocking ICMPv6 traffic to Internet Gateway

Can you put the Orbi router in AP mode and test again? Remove the IP Passthru configuration on the modem when you do this. 

Message 2 of 4
ianklug
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion! I had it in AP mode with DHCP managed by the gateway for a couple weeks recently to see if it improved things, same problem was occuring then when connected to the Orbi, wired or wireless. Ended up switching back to passthrough mode because it enabled settings that weren't available on the gateway, like setting custom DNS servers. Doesn't seem to matter if the gateway or the orbi is doing the routing, this problem still seems to occur. 😕

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact NG support and ask about a beta. Other users were having IPv6 problems and one user said he got a beta which fixed his IPv6 problems. Maybe this might be helpful for you:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-IPv6-Stops-Working/td-p/1574052/jump-to/first-unread-mes...

@ianklug wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion! I had it in AP mode with DHCP managed by the gateway for a couple weeks recently to see if it improved things, same problem was occuring then when connected to the Orbi, wired or wireless. Ended up switching back to passthrough mode because it enabled settings that weren't available on the gateway, like setting custom DNS servers. Doesn't seem to matter if the gateway or the orbi is doing the routing, this problem still seems to occur. 😕

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7