Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 setup problem

Pamela1226
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 setup problem

Just got my rbk50, and try to do setup with my modem.

Followed the instructions, orbi light turn from white to magetna to blue, but after a few seconds (with enthena cable connect to modem), the light turn off.

Tried a few times, same issue happen.

Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 setup problem

Make sure your connecting the RBR to the modem and the RBS is place out at a remote location. You don't hae to setup the RBS first. I would first get the RBR setup with the modem. Set up a SSID name that you want. Can be anything. Something custom. Can even use your prior SSID name and use same Password as well if you like. 

Once you get the RBR setup well, then go for connecting the RBS. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Little more data needed.

Was it the satellite or the router doing the light changing? Usually if it goes blue and then shuts off, its linked. I'll link to what the led's mean at the bottom. 

Be specific with what device you're talking about as well as if its a solid color or if its blinking. They each can mean different things.

What modem are you connecting to?

Are you able to setup the main orbi (you can add satellites later) and get it working?

What firmware is on the orbi?

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 3 of 12
Pamela1226
Aspirant

It was the satellite.  The light change from magenta to blue and turn off while connecting with ethernet cable to modem.  After un-plug the cable, the light changed to magenta.

The fireware on the orbi should be under the factory setting, as I can't make change on anything now.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you want to connect the RBS to the RBR, it needs to be connected to the RBR, not the cable modem. 

The LED process is correct, when the LED turns WHITE, PINK then BLUE then OFF, OFF means the system is working. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...
https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

@Pamela1226 wrote:

It was the satellite.  The light change from magenta to blue and turn off while connecting with ethernet cable to modem.  After un-plug the cable, the light changed to magenta.

The fireware on the orbi should be under the factory setting, as I can't make change on anything now.

Message 5 of 12
Pamela1226
Aspirant

I am using the modem from internet service provider.  When I connect orbi to mobem with ethernet cable, the connection is working on orbi.  But once I try to un-plug the cable, the light changed back to magenta...i haven't even move the orbi yet.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The cable from the ISP modem needs to remain connected to the Orbi RBR always. You can't disconnect this between the modem and orbi RBR. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 12
Pamela1226
Aspirant

So what happen the people need to place Orbi in different floor?  They need to use ethernet cable to connect orbi with the modem?

Because my modem was put in my bedroom, and I want to put Orbi in living room, so i need to have ethernet cable to have them connect together?

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Well it kind of depends. LAN cabling can go for long lenths where needed up to a couple hundred feet on 1 run. 

Typical installations with Orbi is to set the Orbi RBR near the ISP modem, at about 2 to 6 feet. Then If you got a RBS with the RBR, then you place this out at a distance on a different floor and this will connect to the RBR wirelessly or wired. Then the RBS would from this remote location provide more wifi coverage to other places in the home. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 10 of 12
Pamela1226
Aspirant

Let me have a try again when back to home.

Thanks for your help 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure your connecting the RBR to the modem and the RBS is place out at a remote location. You don't hae to setup the RBS first. I would first get the RBR setup with the modem. Set up a SSID name that you want. Can be anything. Something custom. Can even use your prior SSID name and use same Password as well if you like. 

Once you get the RBR setup well, then go for connecting the RBS. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7