Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 shows 404 and 401 error codes but other routers don't - bad experience

rkarthik_75
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 shows 404 and 401 error codes but other routers don't - bad experience

Mobile phone, Smart TV, Andriod TV Box and laptop browsers showing 404 and 401 error codes or not loading up while using Orbi router - bad experience. 

Most websites are not loading after installing Orbi RBK50 router and satellite at my house. The TPG NBN TP-Link modem & router (built-in) still works and loads all websites without error codes if devices are connected to it. When switching wifi to Orbi86 the same websites are showing the 404 and 401 error codes. This happens across all smart devices - TV, set top box, laptop, tablet, mobile phone. 

Just FYI, same issue is seen when Armour is enabled or disabled. Latest firmware upgrades has been applied. This issue is seen only when using Orbi RBR50 wifi point. 

Not sure what the Orbi RBK50 router is trying to do by blocking some websites and not some. This is frustrating. 

Look forward to your inputs. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 shows 404 and 401 error codes but other routers don't - bad experience

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a reset and this time don't enable Armor or Circle. Seen some posts where Armor was enabled then disabled, yes problems still were seen until reset was performed then armor was not re-enabled. 

Message 2 of 13
LeBob
Initiate

Hi Karthik,

I've had a similar symptom after having unplugged the 3 devices of RBR 50 for changing my internet box.

When restarting everything

- connection to anything was perfect from the box wifi

- connecction to many websites was impossible (login page + 401 authorization denied) for devices connected to one of the satellites. YET (check it may be) if I forced https://thetargetsite.com in the browser (instead of only "thetargetsite.com" whatever browser on whatever device) it worked.

At the same time I noticed that the Orbi device map showed that this satellite was not linked to the router device, but was linked to the other satellite, which was itself linked to the router linked to the box (daisy chain kind of)

I rebooted this only satellite, which then connected to the router (map in the Orbi app) and not to the other satellite and everything went back square.

I guess the sequence of initialization of the router and the satellites matters.

No idea of why https goes through the filter. Obviously a security setting somewhere.

My2c

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 13
rkarthik_75
Aspirant

Armor and Circle is not enabled and was enabled first time app was installed as part of first time installation. The Armor trial period is showing as activated in the ORBI app dashboard. Tried many attempts resetting the RBK50 router pressing the small button hole at the back and rebootted the router using the app and still same issue exists - 404 and 401 error codes in all smart devices, phones, tablets etc. shown in browser. 

Just FYI, the Satellite and Router are synched and that is not an issue. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 13
rkarthik_75
Aspirant

Hi @LeBob Bob

Thanks. The issue about 404 and 401 error codes is that it shows up whenever I'm browsing and not just when I strart a new website address to be input. 

For e.g. whenever a link is clicked in an email, newsletter, or link within a wesbite and infact any action is routed for filter. I have replied in another reply to the same post the how it happens.  

Message 6 of 13
rkarthik_75
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 for the detailed answer. I only have answers to those I can see in the ORBI app. So only answered those. For the rest I don't see any way I make the changes you have mentioned. I have explained below inline to your questions:

- Hardware version RBR50 

- Firmware version - v2.5.1.16AU

- S/N - 5PK2925M00800 (for ORBI)

- Hardware type - Orbi 

- Orbi android app version - 2.5.4.1036

- ISP is TPG and the modem & router supplied is Archer VR1600V v1.0.

- Archer VR1600V Firmware - 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.56416n

- ORBI is connected to ISP's modem Archer VR1600v. I'm connected to ORBI router and only use apps like OBRI, youtube, facebook etc. is working. Any browser based activity is showing 404 and 401 errors.  

- I'm not sure what is meant in the second part of the question - NG router is connected?

-  I have no idea where to check this! Please let me know

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

- Less than 30 feet between satellite and router. Router and Satellite has synched.

- Satellite is showing the in app dashboard after resetting and rebooting the router.  

- BTW, the signal strength shown in Orbi app is -35dBm, which seems to be v good as shown in the app. So the signal is not weak from router! 

- 2.4 Ghz channel is changed to 6. Both 404 and 401 error codes are shown even when different channels 1, 6 or 11 are used. 

- Currently, 5 Ghz it's Auto and 36. 

- Yes, 3 neighbours on the side, none at the back. How does this help?

- Can't see Beamforming, MIMO options in the modem browser UI 

- WMM was enabled already 

- Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast roaming, IPv6 were disabled and rebooting done. Not helpful even after multiple times rebooting modem and Orbi router. 

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only - Is this also in Channel width currently only 20 Mhz and 40 Mhz are the options in the drop down. 

- Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes - Can't see this in Advanced settings in Modem or Orbi app. Where can I find this?

Thanks @FURRYe38 for trying to solve this but I really miss phone trouble shooting/tech support. Could you give me a  call at +61 469 241 444. I'm in Australian EST. 

I'm sure many cufstomers like me who don't have premium suppport and only have the community to depend on are going through what I'm seeing for myself during this difficult times. 

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@rkarthik_75 wrote:

Armor and Circle is not enabled and was enabled first time app was installed as part of first time installation. The Armor trial period is showing as activated in the ORBI app dashboard. Tried many attempts resetting the RBK50 router pressing the small button hole at the back and rebootted the router using the app and still same issue exists - 404 and 401 error codes in all smart devices, phones, tablets etc. shown in browser. 

Just FYI, the Satellite and Router are synched and that is not an issue. 

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem has a router built in, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@rkarthik_75 wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38 for the detailed answer. I only have answers to those I can see in the ORBI app. So only answered those. For the rest I don't see any way I make the changes you have mentioned. I have explained below inline to your questions:

- Hardware version RBR50 

- Firmware version - v2.5.1.16AU

- S/N - 5PK2925M00800 (for ORBI)

- Hardware type - Orbi 

- Orbi android app version - 2.5.4.1036

- ISP is TPG and the modem & router supplied is Archer VR1600V v1.0.

- Archer VR1600V Firmware - 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.56416n

- ORBI is connected to ISP's modem Archer VR1600v. I'm connected to ORBI router and only use apps like OBRI, youtube, facebook etc. is working. Any browser based activity is showing 404 and 401 errors.  

- I'm not sure what is meant in the second part of the question - NG router is connected?

-  I have no idea where to check this! Please let me know

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

- Less than 30 feet between satellite and router. Router and Satellite has synched.

- Satellite is showing the in app dashboard after resetting and rebooting the router.  

- BTW, the signal strength shown in Orbi app is -35dBm, which seems to be v good as shown in the app. So the signal is not weak from router! 

- 2.4 Ghz channel is changed to 6. Both 404 and 401 error codes are shown even when different channels 1, 6 or 11 are used. 

- Currently, 5 Ghz it's Auto and 36. 

- Yes, 3 neighbours on the side, none at the back. How does this help?

- Can't see Beamforming, MIMO options in the modem browser UI 

- WMM was enabled already 

- Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast roaming, IPv6 were disabled and rebooting done. Not helpful even after multiple times rebooting modem and Orbi router. 

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only - Is this also in Channel width currently only 20 Mhz and 40 Mhz are the options in the drop down. 

- Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes - Can't see this in Advanced settings in Modem or Orbi app. Where can I find this?

Thanks @FURRYe38 for trying to solve this but I really miss phone trouble shooting/tech support. Could you give me a  call at +61 469 241 444. I'm in Australian EST. 

I'm sure many cufstomers like me who don't have premium suppport and only have the community to depend on are going through what I'm seeing for myself during this difficult times. 

Message 9 of 13
rkarthik_75
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 --> GURU and @LeBob for your assistance and your inputs regarding my issue. The 404 and 401 error codes don't appear anymore and I can even connect to work VPN site and not just browsing websites! 

So, I called the tech phone support yesterday (based in Ireland, as India team is not working) and big high five to Alexandro who did a terrific job of troubleshooting with me step by step on the other side. 

Just FYI, to all your customers trying to get a tech phone support, to call during Ireland working hours/timezone. I'm based out of Sydney, Australia and the call was not assigned to any tech support staff for 1 hour 10 minutes. Yes! That's my waiting time on the phone. 

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So what resolved this for you? 

@rkarthik_75 wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38 --> GURU and @LeBob for your assistance and your inputs regarding my issue. The 404 and 401 error codes don't appear anymore and I can even connect to work VPN site and not just browsing websites! 

So, I called the tech phone support yesterday (based in Ireland, as India team is not working) and big high five to Alexandro who did a terrific job of troubleshooting with me step by step on the other side. 

Just FYI, to all your customers trying to get a tech phone support, to call during Ireland working hours/timezone. I'm based out of Sydney, Australia and the call was not assigned to any tech support staff for 1 hour 10 minutes. Yes! That's my waiting time on the phone. 

Message 11 of 13
rkarthik_75
Aspirant

Below settings were applied all at once and not separately. either one or a combination of these could've resolved it.
wireless set up - 2.4 ghz was set to channel 6. 5 Ghz was set to channel 36
parental control - smart and standard parental controls were disabled
advanced setup - enabled 20/40 MHz coexistence, enabled daisy-chain topology, enabled implicit BEAMFORMING, enabled MU-MIMO, enabled fast roaming
- kept router mode unchanged
- IPv6 was always disabled

rebooted orbi multiple times after above settings were applied

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Thanks for letting us know. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a factory reset is needed.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7