Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 speed locked at 100M

Claudi0
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 speed locked at 100M

I have a Orbi RBK50 and I am having an issue with getting more than 100M over a cable connected in the sattelite.

My ISP speed is 300+ and I am getting that over WAN but if I plug in a ethernet cable in the sattelite is capped at 100M.

My version is V2.3.5.30

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do you get to spec speeds with your wired PC connected to the RBR? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Message 2 of 7
randomousity
Luminary

Ok, based on your screenshot, it looks like you're getting a gigabit connetion between the Orbi router (RBR50) and your modem (which would be the WAN connection), and only 100 Mbps over the wired LAN to a device (computer?). Since the Orbi has gigabit ports for both the RBR50 and RBS50, for all ports, both WAN and LAN, it's probably the case that whatever device you have connected by ethernet to your RBR50 only has 100 Mbps capability. This may be a technical limitation of the NIC, or a software setting in the device, or, potentially, a cabling issue, where the devices (the Orbi and your computer or whatever is connected) both have gigabit capability, and both have it enabled, but your cable is either not capable, or is damaged, and so the best they're able to autonegotiate is 100 Mbps.

Start by checking the capability of the attached device and make sure it both has gigabit ethernet, and that it's enabled in the settings. If yes to both, then try replacing the cable. For testing purposes, you could use the cable you have connecting the modem to your router, since that's already showing 1,000 Mbps. You may just need to replace the cable you're using.

Also, to be clear, your screenshot shows the RBR50, which is the router (and only the router has a WAN port anyway), but your post talks about a device connected to the satellite (the RBS50). But, regardless, all the ports on both the router ans satellite are gigabit ethernet, so it's either the attached device's NIC, the NIC settings, or the cable used to connect the device to whichever Orbi device you're referring to.

Message 3 of 7
Claudi0
Aspirant

It is indeed a PC that I am connecting to and I can assure you that both the cable and the network adapter are not the issue as they have been tested.

If you have any additional advice I am more than willing to try as this is trully frustrating now.

Message 4 of 7
Claudi0
Aspirant

Tried all of the above and it does not change anything.

Just to be clear I am getting 300+M on wifi devices, the issues here is with wired devices connected to the satelite.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you get 1000Mbps and to spec speeds when connected to the RBR? 

Possible the RBS could be faulty. 

@Claudi0 wrote:

Tried all of the above and it does not change anything.

Just to be clear I am getting 300+M on wifi devices, the issues here is with wired devices connected to the satelite.

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Claudi0 wrote:

I have a Orbi RBK50 and I am having an issue with getting more than 100M over a cable connected in the sattelite.

Thanks for including the screen shot.  Would you by chance happen to have a gigabit ethernet switch (or be able to borrow one temporarily)?  Would be useful to connect the switch to the Orbi LAN port and the computer to the switch.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7