Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 terrible upload speed especially with dropbox & nest cameras

petercnrd
Tutor

Orbi RBK50 terrible upload speed especially with dropbox & nest cameras

I pay for 400/40 ISP service.  My Orbi speedtest shows 350/35. 

But my actual upload speed isnowhere near that.  Especially from Dropbox Camera Uploads and Nest Camera upload stream.  My Nest cam keeps giving me a message that upload bandwidth is too limited, and Dropbox is taking many minutes to upload single photos (except that it's usually fast for the 1st photo or 2, then goes slow).  If i go direct to modem or use my old Apple router, it's super fast.

I worry that QoS or some other setting are throttling down my upload from these and other sources.  But there is no way to change QoS settings.

Brand new router & satellite, updated to latest firmware during setup process. 

Picked channels that removed issues connecting with certain websites. 

MuMimo & Beamforming on. Fast Roaming & Daisy Chain off. 

Modem is Arris TM1602, modem only, no wifi.

All else works well.

Netgear's only solution was to reset my router.  Which took my 6 hours to setup due to ID's and labeling all connected devices from my smart home and setting up some static IP's.  No way I am doing that again.

Any other thoughts??

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 terrible upload speed especially with dropbox & nest cameras

With that measured speed, there should be no issues.  One tool I use for troubleshooting is the Orbi "app" (iPad or Android) because under Device Management it shows which WiFi channel a device is connected to and the "link rate".  There have been instances where users report terrible performance on 2.4G and it turned out that they had a single device connecting at 2.4G that could only do 802.11b (the earliest, slowest standard).  2.4G adjusts to the device with the lowest capability, and no other devie can take advantage of their higher capabilities.

This, of course, may not be what is happening to you.

Message 2 of 6
petercnrd
Tutor

@netgear you going to chime in here?  I see hundreds of such complaints online, and NO solutions anywhere, aside from abondoning ORbi and getting a different brand.  Before you ask me to turn things on/off, and change channels, etc, I've done all that.  Nothing works.  There are obviously some back-end settings (Dynamic QoS?) which we don't have access to that are overriding the flow of upload traffic for certain apps or devices.  Rending the supposed high upload speed er the test, unavailable.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to ask about an RMA. If after all resets and making changes this hasn't resolved the issue, the system maybe faulty is all. 

Others have reported seeing upload speeds with there system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

Message 4 of 6
petercnrd
Tutor

Thanks for the idea.  I had checked, and nothing was connecting at an older/slower standard.  So unfortunately no progress from this angle.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements