Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 total failure (ring led blink white)

Mdkart
Tutor

Orbi RBK50 total failure (ring led blink white)

Hello,
I need some help. My netgear orbi router rbk50 led ring blinks white this evening. The router doesn't works at all (either on wire or wireless connection). Seems it's a total failure.
I've tried reset (factory reset button) but doesn't work.
I've also seen the tftp reset by sending new firmware by LAN : https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP
Don't know if I am in the appropriate mode because this method doesn't work and I can't ping the router on 192.168.1.1

Can anyone confirm how to enter the tftp upload mode on the orbi router? Can't get a flashing green power led.
Also, can anyone confirm which Lan port use?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 total failure (ring led blink white)

Can try this:

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP 

Use Windows built in tftp program, don't use the one suggested in that link. Others have mentioned it's doesn't seem to work well. 

If this fails, i would get in contact with NG support asap. 

Message 2 of 20
Mdkart
Tutor

I have tried this method but not with the Windows built in tftp client. Will try in the next hours.
But do you know if it's normal that I can't ping 192.168.1.1 with this method? Do I have I any chance that this solution works in this case?
Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Won't know for sure until you try it. Again, if you can't get anything loaded and back online, contact NG support asap. 

Message 4 of 20
Mdkart
Tutor

Tried with the native Windows tftp client and can't connect to the router to push the firmware (what I thought before as I can't ping int neither)

Try to contact the support

Message 5 of 20
Mdkart
Tutor

Just for information , here is the sequence that the reset button does when I press it and power the orbi then : Green fix (~5s)> Red fix (~5s) > Red flash (~3s) > Green Fix (~20s) > Red flash (~3s) > Green Fix

Message 6 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck.

Message 7 of 20
Mdkart
Tutor

For sure.

I will contact the Netgear support tomorrow and let you know.

Thank you

Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 9 of 20
Mdkart
Tutor

I have contacted the support today. They made me do some tests with the reset button. Then they sent me the instructions for the tftp firmware update.

It didn't work.

They told me they will contact me soon after they will have the engineer's opinion.

Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Hope they will get you an RMA. Sorry the recovery didn't work out.

Keep us posted.

Message 11 of 20
borwornsuk
Aspirant

I think I'm having the same problem as this case.

At first, My devices couldn't connect to wifi which used to work smothly. I found out that my Router couldn't find the Satellite, so I tried to reset by pressing the reset button at the back (first time only 1 click) on both devices.

Then I tried to set everything up from the begining using Orbi App in iOS as I did in the first time. The wifi doesn't seem to be stable (unable to join, incorrect password) and even I could connect to the wifi then it will be disconnected after few second.

After that I switched to my PC setting up the router by LAN instead of Wifi. Then I was strucked since the Router coun't find the Satellite. Even I moved it so close to the Router, there was still magenta light on it.

I did the hard reset once again with longer press (1 mins) as read from this community but nothing change. So once you got the exact solution please help update to this forum.

Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you have a RED LED blink on the router? 

What model Orbi system do you have? 

What FW is currently loaded? 

How big is your home? SqFt? 

How far appart is the router from the Satellite? 

Set the router using a wired connected PC or laptop instead of the orbi app.

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

What channels are you using on the router? 

@borwornsuk wrote:

I think I'm having the same problem as this case.

At first, My devices couldn't connect to wifi which used to work smothly. I found out that my Router couldn't find the Satellite, so I tried to reset by pressing the reset button at the back (first time only 1 click) on both devices.

Then I tried to set everything up from the begining using Orbi App in iOS as I did in the first time. The wifi doesn't seem to be stable (unable to join, incorrect password) and even I could connect to the wifi then it will be disconnected after few second.

After that I switched to my PC setting up the router by LAN instead of Wifi. Then I was strucked since the Router coun't find the Satellite. Even I moved it so close to the Router, there was still magenta light on it.

I did the hard reset once again with longer press (1 mins) as read from this community but nothing change. So once you got the exact solution please help update to this forum.

Message 13 of 20
borwornsuk
Aspirant

Top LED ring blinking white. Power LED is now green.

> RBS50 — Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System

2.1.3.4 but it used to be 2.0.1.4 before I tried to manually install the FW to it

I'm not sure about FW of the satellite since I was unable to pair the satellite.

> It was function well for more than 4 months. My home has 2 floors. Aprx 1400 sq.ft. for each floor.

> Before having problem, my router is on the 2nd floor and the Satellite on the 1st, around 30 ft from each other.

> First use was set by Orbi app. But since I was disconnected everytime I tried to find Satellite, I used wired connect to PC instead but I didn't work so far.

> 3 neighbors' Wifi near by around 30-60m. from the router

> What channels?

Message 14 of 20
Mdkart
Tutor

Just to inform you, Netgear will replace me the router. It may be a problem with the last automatic firmware update.

Waiting the new router now.

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad there replacing it. Let us know how the new one works for you.

@Mdkart wrote:

Just to inform you, Netgear will replace me the router. It may be a problem with the last automatic firmware update.

Waiting the new router now.

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Please made a new thread in the main forum with this information and we'll help you out. This isn't realted to this post and lets not confuse the two. This users router has to be replaced. Yours is a different issue.

@borwornsuk wrote:

Top LED ring blinking white. Power LED is now green.

> RBS50 — Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System

2.1.3.4 but it used to be 2.0.1.4 before I tried to manually install the FW to it

I'm not sure about FW of the satellite since I was unable to pair the satellite.

> It was function well for more than 4 months. My home has 2 floors. Aprx 1400 sq.ft. for each floor.

> Before having problem, my router is on the 2nd floor and the Satellite on the 1st, around 30 ft from each other.

> First use was set by Orbi app. But since I was disconnected everytime I tried to find Satellite, I used wired connect to PC instead but I didn't work so far.

> 3 neighbors' Wifi near by around 30-60m. from the router

> What channels?

Message 17 of 20
borwornsuk
Aspirant

thanks FURRYe38

Message 18 of 20
Mdkart
Tutor

I have received today the router that replaces the faulty one. Everything works again now. However, I would be curious to know what happened but I think we will never know.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably a bad router and hw failure.

Glad the replacement is working now.

Enjoy.

@Mdkart wrote:

I have received today the router that replaces the faulty one. Everything works again now. However, I would be curious to know what happened but I think we will never know.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7