Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 w/ Powerline

jkcrwdr
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 w/ Powerline

Hi all,

I have recently (in the last week) upgraded my family to the Orbi 50 system and it works great. To cut a long story short; we have an office/study at the bottom of the garden where the signal does not reach. My Father has just purchased a wired powerline kit for use in the garden building (electricity runs on the same circuit as the house), but for some reason I get no internet connection when one PL is hooked up to the Orbi router and the second PL is to my Macbook.

Is there any settings I need to enable to make things work, or are Powerlines & Orbi not compatible? I have struggled to find similar circumstances along with actual help, so I have taken the plunge here.

Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the PL work in the same room? I would test this out in the same room first.

PLs can be problematic...

How about adding another Satellite to near this office? 

Message 2 of 7
jkcrwdr
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does the PL work in the same room? I would test this out in the same room first.

PLs can be problematic...

How about adding another Satellite to near this office? 

My parents don't really want to shell out more money for an additional satellite.

I have tried two kinds of PL, one wireless (through a seperate SSID) and the most recent wired, but both don't seem to be chucking me any Internet access. I was wondering (hoping) there was an advanced setting I needed to enable to allow to make this possible, but I guess I'm out of luck in that regard?

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try both PLs in the same room to verify same room circuit connetion?

I presume if this also fails, there isn't any configuration I know of.

Might disable Daisy Chain and see if this helps any.

Message 4 of 7
AC641
Luminary

To be clear, Powerline Adapters are absolutely compatible with the Orbi; I have eight of them around my home without issue.  As others have suggested, establish a connection in close proximity and assuming that works move it to your office.

Message 5 of 7
budy
Luminary

+1 from me - PL adaptors are basically solo units, which present themselves as a bridge on the layer2 and as an IP device on layer 3, there is nothing there, which could interfere with the Orbi. However, be prepared for low performance and high latency…

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
AC641
Luminary

Can you tell us the make and model of your Powerline Adapaters?  Have you sync'd them and assigned a password?  Have you first got them working in close proximity to prove the connection?  How far away from the main house is the garden office?  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7