Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50...want try Ethernet backhaul again - suggested config

Cheeser64
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50...want try Ethernet backhaul again - suggested config

I want to try Ethernet backhaul again after giving up on it this summer...tried multiple configs without any luck.

I am using an Asus AC86R router, with the Orbi main unit in AP mode, and the satellite connected via wireless.

Before moving forward, I want to verify the potential config:

-Connect router internet port to Orbi main unit Internet port

-Connect Orbi main unit lan port to satellite lan port

-Disable daisy chain setting

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
Cheeser64
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBK50...want try Ethernet backhaul again - suggested config

I went ahead and tried the following:

Both Orbis assigned fixed IP addresses.

Asus router lan port to Netgear unmanaged switch

Orbi Master setup in AP mode and "daisy chain" setting disabled.

Orbi Master internet port to Netgear switch

Orbi Satellite lan port to Netgear switch

This didnt work at first, so I tried connecting satellite directly to master and it worked.  I then reverted to the setup above and it worked.

The only issue I have noticed so far is the Satellite Orib web page shows 4 connected devices, but on the Master Orbi web page, its says those same 4 devices are connected to the Master.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The main process is to get the satellite to connect wirelessly first, then connect the satellite with LAN to the Orbi router. Wait 5 minutes for the top to turn on BLUE. Once this happens, reserve an IP address for the satellite ON the router. Then you should be good to go. 

Glad you got it working though. 

Enjoy. 

Message 3 of 6
ekhalil
Master

When you have a wired backhaul then wired devices connected to the Satellite will appear as connected to the Router under "Attached Devices".

I guess this is because everything will be connected to the same "switch" and the system will not be able to differenciate between those devices connected to the Router (wired) and those that are connected (wired) to the Sattelites

Message 4 of 6
Cheeser64
Aspirant

The 4 devices connected to the satellite are wireless.  I would have assumed the satellite would have passed that info to the main unit in order for the main unit to properly illustrate that data on its "attached devices" page.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

When the satellites is wired to the router, devices, even though connected to the satellites will appear as wired to the router. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7