Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 with Rbk20 as a satellite?

Nitrous16v
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 with Rbk20 as a satellite?

Hello, I currently have the Orbi AC3000 RBK50 Router and Sat and decided to pick up a used AC2200 RBK20W system (router and wall sat) to try to add on to it with more satellites, Will this work?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The wall satellite will connect to the RBR50 Orbi router, but the router that is in the used package cannot be used as a satellite.  There are things that you can do with the router, such as set up a separate WiFi network or give it to a friend who has no WiFi at all.

Message 2 of 5
Nitrous16v
Aspirant

Ok thanks thats kind of what i was thinking would be my options

Message 3 of 5
Nitrous16v
Aspirant

Do i need to change the name of the wall plug in sat from the ac2200 system? i think its labeled Orbi33 and my existing system is Orbi13

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

When you sync the new satellite with the Orbi router, it will pick up the WiFi name automatically.  (The name comes from the router, not the satellite).  There is an option during setup to change the name to something more interesting (or obscure?).  For example, every time I buy a new WiFi router, I give it exactly the same WiFi name and password as the one I am replacing.  (1) This means that I do not have to do anything to my 30+ WiFi devices to get them to connect, and (2) If I do not like the new router, I can simply plug the old one back in again.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7