Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 with Xfinity (Arris TG862G) modem/router

earoberts
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 with Xfinity (Arris TG862G) modem/router

Hello All: I have an Orbi RBK50 mesh system (router & 1 satellite) to install with my Comcast Xfinity modem/router. From what I have read so far, I should enable bridge mode on the Xfinity as well as disable the xfinitywifi hotspot. Then wire the Orbi to the Xfinity and proceed with the instructions on the Netgear app (or manual or online how-to). However, my brother-in-law - who swears by this system and actually talked with a tech at NetGear about this - tells me I definitely have to be on the phone with NetGear tech support before I do this. I'm no engineer, but I'm not a dunce, either, so I'm wondering if I really need to wait for tech support and then have him/her walk me through this? And if so, any advice on getting through easily? Is NetGear tech pretty responsive and patient? What else should I look out for? Is there a better step-by-step instruction than "How do I install my NetGear or Orbi router after I've enabled bridging"? 

Thanks for your patience and any advice for a newbie. Doing this sort of stuff is not how I like to spend my time so I'm trying to get prepared before I actually start disconecting the existing hardware. My wife is working from home and doesn't like the idea of days with no internet.  

Cheers,

Andy

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Orbi RBK50 with Xfinity (Arris TG862G) modem/router

@earoberts wrote:

However, my brother-in-law - who swears by this system and actually talked with a tech at NetGear about this - tells me I definitely have to be on the phone with NetGear tech support before I do this.

You don't need to be on the phone with Netgear.  You might need to talk to Comcast technical support if your modem has some temporary issues assigned an IP address to your new Orbi router (and its different MAC address).  I called 800-COMCAST and used the phone menus to send a reset signal to my modem when I recently switched from my Orbi AC to Orbi AX router.  When I first switched my Orbi RBR850 could not get an IP address but I don't know why nor why it eventually started working.

Here are Xfinity instructions for configuring bridge mode: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode.  Enabling bridge mode will automatically disable the wireless radio on the modem because it's no longer a router and will no longer give out IP addresses.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can get the ISP modem bridged fully, you don't need to be on the phone with NG support to setup the Orbi system. 

You can use the Orbi app or I prefer a wired PC and web browser connected to the RBRs web page. 

You can refer to the installation guide or user manual for additonal information as well. 

Message 2 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

@earoberts wrote:

However, my brother-in-law - who swears by this system and actually talked with a tech at NetGear about this - tells me I definitely have to be on the phone with NetGear tech support before I do this.

You don't need to be on the phone with Netgear.  You might need to talk to Comcast technical support if your modem has some temporary issues assigned an IP address to your new Orbi router (and its different MAC address).  I called 800-COMCAST and used the phone menus to send a reset signal to my modem when I recently switched from my Orbi AC to Orbi AX router.  When I first switched my Orbi RBR850 could not get an IP address but I don't know why nor why it eventually started working.

Here are Xfinity instructions for configuring bridge mode: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode.  Enabling bridge mode will automatically disable the wireless radio on the modem because it's no longer a router and will no longer give out IP addresses.

Message 3 of 10
earoberts
Aspirant

Mikey94025 and FURRYe38, thanks for the help integrating the Orbi mesh system and Xfinity router/modem. I'm going to do tha tomorrow when my wife is out of the house. 

-Andy 

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it goes well. I would have the ISP help you with bridging the ISP modem if you need and is recommended then you can fully using the orbi in router mode. Hope it all goes well. 

Message 5 of 10
earoberts
Aspirant

All: Since this forum seems ot have the best and speediest responses I'll follow up my original post wth another: It appears that I did successfully get my Orbi RBK50 connected with my Xfinity hardware (thank you!) - at least there are no real issues at this point. However, my hardwired connection from my original Xfinity router/modem to my solar panels is no longer working. This could be coincidence, but I doubt that since it stopped during the time I installed the Orbi. There is no connectivity when the ethernet is plugged into either the Xfinity or the new Orbi. There is a blinking signal traffic light on the Xfinity port, so something is going on  there. No indicator lights on the Orbi so I can't tell. 

I know router functionality on the Xfinity is reduced in bridge mode, but shouldn't I still have ethernet? And shouldn't I have ethernet also from the Orbi router? Just trying to pin this down before I contact the solar panel people. 

Thanks again for the earlier help, and thanks in advance for help on this one.

Cheers,

Andy

Message 6 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

@earoberts wrote:

However, my hardwired connection from my original Xfinity router/modem to my solar panels is no longer working. This could be coincidence, but I doubt that since it stopped during the time I installed the Orbi. There is no connectivity when the ethernet is plugged into either the Xfinity or the new Orbi. There is a blinking signal traffic light on the Xfinity port, so something is going on  there. No indicator lights on the Orbi so I can't tell. 

I know router functionality on the Xfinity is reduced in bridge mode, but shouldn't I still have ethernet? And shouldn't I have ethernet also from the Orbi router? Just trying to pin this down before I contact the solar panel people. 

In bridge mode you get only one connection from your Xfinity modem, to your Orbi.  Anything else must be connected to the Orbi (wired or wirelessly) as it's now you're only router.

So try plugging your solar panels into one of your Orbi network ports - This should work.  If not, use a computer and visit http://orbilogin.com - When you click to Attached Devices do you see the solar panels listed as a device there?  Is there another way for you to check if the solar panels has a valid network connection?

Message 7 of 10
earoberts
Aspirant

Thanks Mikey94025. Good to know the old Xfinity modem only supplies one ethernet port. I was confused when the network traffic lights were blinking on the port with my solar panel wire. I had tried it in the orbi to no avail, but ater testing the Orbi ports with a cable to another device I saw the Orbi is working fine. So, it's an issue for my solar panel installers so that's where I'm headed now. Thanks againfor the help.

-Andy

Message 8 of 10
earoberts
Aspirant

Okay - got it all worekd out. Finally got someone at the solar panel place to point me to a tool to reset the network with the new router, so all is working and everyone is happy. Thanks for the help, all of which was critical to me figuring this out. 

Cheers & Happy 4th.

Andy

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos