Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 with satellite showing "no internet" when joining network.

jasonbb
Tutor

Orbi RBK50 with satellite showing "no internet" when joining network.

Hi all, I have had my Orbi RBK50 and RBS50 satellite since November 2016 and its been great, over the last week and a half its turned to rubbish, I suspect it was after the latest firmware update V2.3.1.44 because the timing looks to be about right?

What started happening was my iPhones and iPads started dropping off the network all the time, if you go into network setting it says connected to the orbi network but under it says No internet connection, the thing is I have some other iPads and devices on the network with the internet working just fine, one of my Mac laptop's was connected and the other was not so its really weird, the satellite was also dropping off. 

A bit over a week ago after some research it said to reset the network and start again.  The next day (Wednesday) I had some work going on with my network so he reset the Orbi and re set it up in AP mode as they installed a new Pakedge router with a Control4 upgrade, it worked really well for about 5 days and has now gone to dropping off constantly, I can't connect the satellite now either.

I read it should be set up in router mode but the Pakedge router is now in between the internet connection and the Orbi, please help.

Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I recommend that you manually re-load v44 and the factory reset and setup from scratch to see if this helps with the issue your seeing. There have been issues with Autoupdate and others seeing bad behavior. Doing a factory reset seems to resolve this for v44. 

Re-load the RBS first then the RBR. Reset and setup from scratch. 

I saw no issues after doing this process on v44. 

@jasonbb wrote:

Hi all, I have had my Orbi RBK50 and RBS50 satellite since November 2016 and its been great, over the last week and a half its turned to rubbish, I suspect it was after the latest firmware update V2.3.1.44 because the timing looks to be about right?

What started happening was my iPhones and iPads started dropping off the network all the time, if you go into network setting it says connected to the orbi network but under it says No internet connection, the thing is I have some other iPads and devices on the network with the internet working just fine, one of my Mac laptop's was connected and the other was not so its really weird, the satellite was also dropping off. 

A bit over a week ago after some research it said to reset the network and start again.  The next day (Wednesday) I had some work going on with my network so he reset the Orbi and re set it up in AP mode as they installed a new Pakedge router with a Control4 upgrade, it worked really well for about 5 days and has now gone to dropping off constantly, I can't connect the satellite now either.

I read it should be set up in router mode but the Pakedge router is now in between the internet connection and the Orbi, please help.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 20

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What pakedge router are you  using?

If you've only noticed the change since the firmware upgrade and you've already tried a full reset of the Orbi setup, you can downgrade the firmware to an earlier version. You'd follow the same manual update procedure but use the older firmware. Just make sure you disable auto update. there's been a couple posts in the forums about instability with the .44 update. I highly recommend any firmware changes be made over ethernet and make sure to do a full reset after making the changes. This tends to help with stability in my opinion. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How-do-I-enable-disable-auto-firmware-update

Message 2 of 20
jasonbb
Tutor

Thanks for your reply, its a Pakedge RK-1

The ineternet connection is running from the Optus router to the Pakedge then into the Orbi.

I'll give the downgrade a try.

Message 3 of 20
plemans
Guru

Also make sure to put the orbi back in AP mode after the downgrade. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Message 4 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I recommend that you manually re-load v44 and the factory reset and setup from scratch to see if this helps with the issue your seeing. There have been issues with Autoupdate and others seeing bad behavior. Doing a factory reset seems to resolve this for v44. 

Re-load the RBS first then the RBR. Reset and setup from scratch. 

I saw no issues after doing this process on v44. 

@jasonbb wrote:

Message 5 of 20
jasonbb
Tutor

Hi guys, I flicked the Orbi back into router mode and downgraded the firmware back to V2.2.1.212 on the Orbi then found I couldn't connect the satillite to downgrade that, I reupgraded the main Orbi, connected the satillite and then managed to downgrade the satillite, I then put it back into AP mode, I had the satellite connected in router mode but once I put it back in to AP mode I can't get the satellite to connect.

Under online update there is nowhere to turn off auto update, I have now noticed the satillite has upgraded itself to .44, I'm now going to have to upgrade the Orbi in order to try and connect to the satillite again.

Message 6 of 20
jasonbb
Tutor

I upgraded the main Orbi back to .44 and the satillite connected, I'm now going to leave it at .44 and see if I can stay connected, thanks very much for your help.

Message 7 of 20
jasonbb
Tutor

I’m back to square one, my phone won’t connect and is showing no interest connection but my ipad is connected and online.

Does anyone know how to disable auto update? The netgear documentation is wrong as there is no radio button to disable it, I don’t want to go down the road of downgrading to find the satellite upgrading itself again, the main orbi doesn’t seem to.

Message 8 of 20
plemans
Guru

here's a thread that walks through this. this is using telnet. I'd probably try other options first.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

here's some options

If you haven't, try disabling beamforming, MU-MIMO, and fast roaming. do a wireless scan and select the least used channel for 5ghz and 1,6,11 (least used) for the 2.4ghz. 

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307

and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Did you factory reset both RBR and RBS after v44 was applied as setup from scratch? 

Message 10 of 20
jasonbb
Tutor

Thanks guys, I woke up this morning and everything was working as it should, when I get home I'll apply some of the suggested changes and hope for the best.  Thankfully I'm in a low-density residential area so there are only 2 other networks in range.

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset both RBR and RBS after v44 was applied as setup from scratch? 

Let us know how it goes...

@jasonbb wrote:

Thanks guys, I woke up this morning and everything was working as it should, when I get home I'll apply some of the suggested changes and hope for the best.  Thankfully I'm in a low-density residential area so there are only 2 other networks in range.

Message 12 of 20
jasonbb
Tutor

Hi, I didn't do a factory reset after the last update on Tuesday night, it was factory reset the previous Wednesday while running .44, all of yesterday it was back and working as it should with the salellite connected, I am going to monitor it and see how it goes over the next few days.

I didn't factory reset it the other night as it was really late and didn't want to have to reset up all my Lifx globes again, if I have further issues I will try another reset.

Thanks for your help.

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to do a Back up configuration to file. So if you need to do another reset, you can save time by loading the back up from file. 

@jasonbb wrote:

Hi, I didn't do a factory reset after the last update on Tuesday night, it was factory reset the previous Wednesday while running .44, all of yesterday it was back and working as it should with the salellite connected, I am going to monitor it and see how it goes over the next few days.

I didn't factory reset it the other night as it was really late and didn't want to have to reset up all my Lifx globes again, if I have further issues I will try another reset.

Thanks for your help.

Message 14 of 20
jasonbb
Tutor

Thanks for the tip, I didn’t know what that was about.

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

It's a time savor. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 20
jasonbb
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307

and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Hi Furry, I just made the above changes to the CTS/RTS threshold from 2347 to 2307 but couldn't see the option to set the coexistence to 40 only.

Message 17 of 20
jasonbb
Tutor

I also did a wireless scan and found no one on channel 6 for 2.4 Ghz so I changed over to that, the 5 Ghz network is on channel 36.

Message 18 of 20
jasonbb
Tutor

When I changed it to channel 6 the internet started to drop off again, I put it back to auto and its been all good again.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Sounds like you may have some wifi neighbors or some form of interferences on wifi. 

@jasonbb wrote:

When I changed it to channel 6 the internet started to drop off again, I put it back to auto and its been all good again.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7