Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi (RBK53) AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System randomly blocks websites

JBRinSJC
Aspirant

Orbi (RBK53) AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System randomly blocks websites

The Orbi router is randomly blocking websites. Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBR50) - Router Firmware Version V2.3.1.44 Issue is affecting a laptop running MacOS v10.13.6 & an iPad running iOS v12.2 We've tried using Safari & Chrome browsers on each - same message shows NetGear router blocking access. There are no settings on the router that show any blocked websites. The issue started when NetGear first offered a promo deal on the NetGear Armor subscription service. We have not purchased it - do not need it. We have other security tools already in place.
Message 1 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JBRinSJC,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the screenshot. It looks like the Access Control and/or Block Sites feature is enabled. You can try and check page 57 of the user manual on this link to see if that has been configured. You can disable it from there as well.

Dexter

Message 2 of 5
JBRinSJC
Aspirant

Hello Dexter - Thank you for the info.  Unfortnately there are no words or sites blocked. I have gone through as many of the regular attempts to remove site blocking as I can by following the manual.  I am open to any other ideas that may address the issue.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@JBRinSJC wrote:

Hello Dexter - Thank you for the info.  Unfortnately there are no words or sites blocked. I have gone through as many of the regular attempts to remove site blocking as I can by following the manual.  I am open to any other ideas that may address the issue.

I am a bit confused because the text mentions "words or sites" blocked, but the graphic indicates "this device".  My Orbi has no blocks.  As a test, I created a keyword block for "algebra.com"  (it turns out there actually IS a web site by that name - who knew?)  Sure enough, Firefox popped up an ugly screen saying that this site was blocked by the Netgear Firewall.  The attempt was put into the Orbi log file.  Cool.  I then cleared the list of blocked keywords, clicked "Apply", and algebra.com was still blocked.  Tried a different browser, and it was not blocked.  Hmmm.  Cleared cache on my first browser, and "voila" the site was available again.

So, it appears there may be an interaction between Orbi firewall blocks and web browsers that persist even after the Orbi changes.  True, I deliberately created this block.  It did not suddenly appear by itself.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What other security tools do you have in place? 

I would factory reset the RBR and set up from scratch. Skip installing any Circle or enabled parental controls for now. 

@JBRinSJC wrote:
The Orbi router is randomly blocking websites. Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBR50) - Router Firmware Version V2.3.1.44 Issue is affecting a laptop running MacOS v10.13.6 & an iPad running iOS v12.2 We've tried using Safari & Chrome browsers on each - same message shows NetGear router blocking access. There are no settings on the router that show any blocked websites. The issue started when NetGear first offered a promo deal on the NetGear Armor subscription service. We have not purchased it - do not need it. We have other security tools already in place.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7