Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK53 - Add NAS Drive

okactuary
Aspirant

Orbi RBK53 - Add NAS Drive

I would like to add a NAS drive to my Orbi RBR50 router.  I ran an ethernet cable from my NAS drive (it's a Western Digital My Book Live storage drive) to the Orbi router.  I am not sure what other steps I need to take to see the NAS drive show up in my networks on my laptop computer.  I am running Windows 10.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@okactuary wrote:

I would like to add a NAS drive to my Orbi RBR50 router.  I ran an ethernet cable from my NAS drive (it's a Western Digital My Book Live storage drive) to the Orbi router.  I am not sure what other steps I need to take to see the NAS drive show up in my networks on my laptop computer.

The Western Digital My Book has a USB interface and is intended to be connected directly to the Windows 10 computer.  Yes, the original RBR50 Orbi router has a USB port on the back and back in 2016 there was a general expectation that at some point Netgear would release the ability to attach a USB hard drive and share it on the network as many other routers can do.  Alas, that functionality never appeared. With version 2 of the RBR50, Netgear removed the USB port, and none of the other Orbi routers have one.

This has been a source of bitter disappointment over the years.

Message 2 of 5
okactuary
Aspirant

I used to be able to hook up a USB drive to my old router and I understand I cannot use the useless USB port on the Orbi router, but i was hoping there was some solution such that I could at least use one of the ethernet ports to still attach a hard drive somehow.  Is there not any way to attach a data storage drive to the Orbi, or do I just have to use a totally different router that can support a NAS or USB drive?  Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
okactuary
Aspirant

I found an article in the community that stated: "Yes, your Orbi WiFi System supports NAS. Connect your NAS device to the Ethernet port on your Orbi router or satellite."  I did that, but I am not sure where I go from there.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Geez.  This is two times today I have failed to find the correct web link.

Yes, the My Book Live certainly has a gigabit ethernet port and can be connected directly to any of the RBR50's LAN ports.

Have you downloaded the software described on page10?

https://products.wdc.com/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7