Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK53 - Performance

Franzmann
Tutor

Orbi RBK53 - Performance

Dear all,

I have installed a RKB53 on the weekend.

The performance is pretty slow on the satellite(s).

On the router I have a speed of 600Mbit/s and on the Satellites, I have only 160.

I have tried to check/uncheck already:

- Daisy chain

- Beamforming

- Mu-MiMo

- Fast Roaming

Nothing has helped.

Now I have read, that the firmware 2.3.5.30 may cause problems.

Shall I downgrade to xxx?

Any additional idea what I can do?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Franz

PS: The router is in the basement, the first satellite is in the first floor right (two ceilings in between - 26 feet), the second satellite is in the first floor as well on the left side (two walls - 26 feet). Status of everything is connected in "green".

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
Franzmann
Tutor

Thanks again @FURRYe38 @CrimpOn @ekhalil @tucsontico !

I have put now the router on the first floor, use a CAT6-Cable from the modem to the router and the performance is more or less ok.

The router get 600 Mbit/s, the 6210 Wifi stick (6 feet away) get 300 Mbit/s.

On the satellites on the other floors I get 150 Mbit/s.

It´s not what I had await from the Orbi, but I can live with it.

Best regards,

Franz

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 21

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you speed testing? Wired PC with RBR and RBS or wireless?

What devices are you using to speed test?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Also having the RBR in the basement is not recommended. This can be problematic as well. It's recommended to have the main base router on the main floor if possible. 

Beamforming and WMM should be enabled. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset of the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch been performed yet since the update to v30? 

@Franzmann wrote:

Dear all,

I have installed a RKB53 on the weekend.

The performance is pretty slow on the satellite(s).

On the router I have a speed of 600Mbit/s and on the Satellites, I have only 160.

I have tried to check/uncheck already:

- Daisy chain

- Beamforming

- Mu-MiMo

- Fast Roaming

Nothing has helped.

Now I have read, that the firmware 2.3.5.30 may cause problems.

Shall I downgrade to xxx?

Any additional idea what I can do?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Franz

PS: The router is in the basement, the first satellite is in the first floor right (two ceilings in between - 26 feet), the second satellite is in the first floor as well on the left side (two walls - 26 feet). Status of everything is connected in "green".

If you have the RBS placed in a line out from the RBR, then Daisy chain can be enabled. If there is a star formation, then Daisy Chain should be disabled. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 21
tucsontico
Virtuoso

What is your current firmware version? If it is 2.3.5.30, did you do a factory reset of the router and satellites after upgrading? If not, try that and reconfigure the system from scratch. DO NOT use a backup configuration file to reinitialize your system. (Yes, it is a PITA but it seems to work for situations like yours.) 

26 feet between router and satellite is a bit too close. 30 feet is the recommended minimum. While moving the satellites only 4 feet may sound foolish, a few feet can make a huge difference is signal strength and stability. Do you have any other nearby WiFi transmitters? Co-channel and cross-channel interference is one of the most common problems for WiFi signal degradation. Try setting the 2.4gHz channel to 1, 6 or 11 and the 5 gHz channel to any clear channel.

After any change you make allow the ORBI to "settle" for 20-30 minutes before running any speed tests. Also do not use ORBI's built-in speed test. Use an online speed test source separate from the ORBI.  Be patient and methodical during your changes to get the best location for the satellites and the best configuration for the system. Good luck!

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

If you do another factory reset or setup from scratch, after it's all setup again and working, do another backup configruation to file for safe keeping...

Message 4 of 21
Franzmann
Tutor

Thank you very much @FURRYe38 and @tucsontico ! 

At first I will make a factory reset. I was not aware, that I have to do it after the FW-Update (2.3.5.30). And I will change the channels if the reset will not have an impact.

May this will already help.

Thank you again for the useful information! 

Best regards,

Franz

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Normally one shouldn't have to do a reset, however with Orbi we find that some users need to. Still a mystery. Resets do help though. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 21
Franzmann
Tutor

Thank you again @tucsontico and @FURRYe38 !

Anyway, nothing has worked. I have reset the Router and the satellites, I have changed the channels (several times) enabled/disabled Daisy chain etc., ... nothing.

I placed the Router on the first floor and used a LAN-Cable. On the router I have 600Mbit/s and 10 feet away I have only 300Mbit/s on the 6210 WLAN-Stick. On the next satellite I have only 150Mbit/s.

I guess, that there is nothing what I can do else.

Thank you again and best regards,

Franz

Message 7 of 21
ekhalil
Master

• In the Orbi app, do you see both  Satellites connected to the Router in a star configuration or to each other in a daisy chain configuration?
  • Have you tried to disable Daisy Chain (uncheck the option)? If your Satellites are close to each other then enabling Daisy Chain will make Satellites also broadcast backhaul channel and interfere with the backhaul transmission from the Router. Please uncheck Daisy Chain to get rid of this interference 
  • Please do a Wifi scan and see which channel is being used for the wireless backhaul. You should see the backhaul as a hidden network with no SSID. Check if that is a 2.4 or 5 GHz channel and if it’s using 20, 40 or 80 MHz bandwidth. Check also if that channel is being used by your neighbors. 
Message 8 of 21
Franzmann
Tutor

Thak you @ekhalil !

The configuration depends, where I have placed the satellites (I have tried a few positions). Sometimes as star, sometimes as daisy chain. I have tried Daisy Chain enable and disable. Always the same result.

"

• Please do a Wifi scan and see which channel is being used for the wireless backhaul. You should see the backhaul as a hidden network with no SSID. Check if that is a 2.4 or 5 GHz channel and if it’s using 20, 40 or 80 MHz bandwidth. Check also if that channel is being used by your neighbors. 

"

How can I do this? External programm or can I already do it with the Orbi-App or the Genie-App?

Thank you and best regards,

Franz

Message 9 of 21
ekhalil
Master

@Franzmann wrote:

........ Sometimes as star, sometimes as daisy chain. I have tried Daisy Chain enable and disable. Always the same result.

Please disable Daisy Chain and give the network some time to stabilize before concluding if all will be the same. I'm positive that this should give you an improvement.

@Franzmann wrote:

How can I do this? External programm or can I already do it with the Orbi-App or the Genie-App?

There are many free apps that you can use. Are you using a Mac or PC? iPhone or Android?

Message 10 of 21
Franzmann
Tutor

Thanks again @ekhalil !

I will disable Daisy Chain and I will wait one hour. I will let you know tomorrow the result.

I use a PC with Windows 10 and an Android phone. If you would give me a recommendation, would be great.

Best regards,

Franz

Message 11 of 21
ekhalil
Master

@Franzmann wrote:

Thanks again @ekhalil !

I use a PC with Windows 10 and an Android phone. If you would give me a recommendation, would be great.

@CrimpOn , what apps do you use for wifi scanning on your Android device please? I've never used Androids. 🙂

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I use WiFi Sweetspots and WiFi Analyzer on my Tab S2.

Message 13 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:

@CrimpOn , what apps do you use for wifi scanning on your Android device please? I've never used Androids. 🙂

My "Go To" Android WiFi analyzer is Wifi Analyzer 3.11.2 by Kevin Yuan.  It has "the usual stuff" with graphs, lists of AP's, etc.  My favorite part is the list of AP's shows the MAC address and channel of hidden AP's.  That's how I know my Orbi is using channels 4and 48, and the hidden backhaul is on 4 and 157.  There is another really cool one called WiFi Analyzer (capital F instead of lower case f) by Abdelrahman M. Sid.  There's a nice HeatMap that I use on the tablet from time-to-time.

Message 14 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

On Windows 10 I am really taken with WiFiInfoView from nirsoft, because waaaaay over on the right it shows the "Country Code" being broadcast.

Message 15 of 21
Franzmann
Tutor

Thank you @CrimpOn , @FURRYe38 , @ekhalil !

I will try some of the tools.

btw: My last configuration was already a star with Daisy Chain disabled.

May I get some new information now with the tools. 

Best regards,

Franz

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know know how it goes...

Message 17 of 21
Franzmann
Tutor

Thanks again @FURRYe38 !

I will do. but I need to do it on the weekend.

On Monday I will let you know.

Best regards,

Franz

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 21
Franzmann
Tutor

Thanks again @FURRYe38 @CrimpOn @ekhalil @tucsontico !

I have put now the router on the first floor, use a CAT6-Cable from the modem to the router and the performance is more or less ok.

The router get 600 Mbit/s, the 6210 Wifi stick (6 feet away) get 300 Mbit/s.

On the satellites on the other floors I get 150 Mbit/s.

It´s not what I had await from the Orbi, but I can live with it.

Best regards,

Franz

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 12 kudos