Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK53 Satellite's Firmware won't update

Bochco
Aspirant

Orbi RBK53 Satellite's Firmware won't update

I just installed my Orbi (2 satellite) system and everything is working perfectly. I went to update the firmware and it wouldn't autoupdate. I then looked on the discussion boards and found I could do it manually. The problem is the thread that I read mentioned nothing of updating the sats first, so I updated the router first with V1.4.0.34. Now, no matter what I try (based on the discussions) I am unable to update the sats. It keeps giving me a warning that says "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product." I downloaded a new .img file and it gave me the same warning. Any ideas on what to do now?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi RBK53 Satellite's Firmware won't update

I also updated my router first.  I was able to update my satellite by navigating to the Web GUI on the satellite's IP and updating from there.  Did you try that?  You will need to determine the IP address of your satellites first.  They are listed under attached devices on the router GUI.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

I also updated my router first.  I was able to update my satellite by navigating to the Web GUI on the satellite's IP and updating from there.  Did you try that?  You will need to determine the IP address of your satellites first.  They are listed under attached devices on the router GUI.

Message 2 of 12
MarkC1024
Luminary

You're sure your downloading the satellite file?  It's not the same one that was used on the router.

Message 3 of 12
Bochco
Aspirant

Thanks to both of you for your quick answers!

MarkC1024, I wasn't aware that there were different versions for the router and satellites, but I looked on Netgear and found a version for the satellites (I had to search for RBK53 whereas before I looked under RBR50 which showed up due to my model number). The odd thing was that it had the exact same file name, but I downloaded it anyway.

st_shaw, I was able to log into each individual satellite via your method and then using the new file I just downloaded, was able to successfully upload the file to both of them. They are now currently using the latest firmware. Thank you both for the great information! I really appreciate it.

Message 4 of 12
st_shaw
Master

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.  Glad we could help.

Message 5 of 12
grandad2944
Tutor

I just posted a help request because I can't update the firmware on my satellite either.  I have tried 6 times and each time it says incorrect or corrupt file.  I read the instructions and have not updated the router first as I noted some did, but it still does not work.  Just looking for some additional help.  Thanks.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 12
LewB
Aspirant

I am having the same problem. I won't update either auto or manual. When I download what is supposed to be the latest firmware I get v1.11.0.20  In the auto update window it says latest version is v.1.12.0.18.  
When I go to install what is available I am told it is incorrect file!!!!

Message 7 of 12
grandad2944
Tutor

I have the RBK50 and finally wound up paying for premium help to get the firmware updated. Even premium help took 3 hours to fix the problem. Cost me $129.99, but felt I had no options if I wanted the latest firmware. The latest firmware for my system says the version ending in .18 is the latest so either they just put out version .20 or it's for your system and not mine. Good luck.
Message 8 of 12
LewB
Aspirant

I finally found the right version on their website, though I don't remember how. 🙂 I also realized I needed to drag the .ing file out of the folder to the desktop. When I did that the manual update worked when I clicked on that file. Everything updated but it sure wasn't smooth or well explained. I am delighted with how well my home is now covered, so if it doesn't have any of the earlier glitches it is a keeper. 

Message 9 of 12
LewB
Aspirant

I take back what I said about the speed. Argh. Yesterday I was getting about 2/3 of wired speed in my kitchen, about 20 ft from the router. My old wirless router was lucky to get hald speed. I just did a speed test with the new firmware and am getting 1/3rd the ethernet speed. I will let it be for a while and see if things improve by tomorrow...

Message 10 of 12
LewB
Aspirant

Okay, back up to excellent wireless speed. Yeah! Here is the link to the newest firmware . https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

Message 11 of 12
JudeMills
Tutor

FYI since just went thru firmware update thing for the first time and had issues.  The reason you should update the Satellite(s) firmware first and then the Routers is that Satellites and Router cannot communicate if they are running different versions of firmware.  So if you do the router first, then it won't see the satellites.  But note, when you do the Satellites first, they will be lost to the Router UNTIL you update the firmware on the Router too.  They all have to be running the same version to be sync'd.  Hope this helps some - would have saved me a day and 1/2 if I'd known.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7