Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK53 Speed Issue with wired backhaul

PCSP
Guide

Orbi RBK53 Speed Issue with wired backhaul

Last time I found issue with unstable wireless backhaul. Now I using wirebackhaul. I found the problem. Orbi didn't support gigabit in WAN port or something. 

I use brigde mode from ISP and use PPPoE connection from Orbi. Max internet speed is ~500-600Mbps upload and download for LAN connection and ~400-500Mbps with Wireless connection (tested by Speedtest Mac App and nPref in website - MBP 16" 2019)

I try to connect PPPoE from my mac. Max internet speed is ~900 Mbps (upload / download) with LAN connection

Do you have any idea to fix it? I try with 2.5.1.16, 2.7.2.104 and 2.7.3.22 firmware too

and I have only one computer. I never test LAN gigabit of orbi ... with iPerf

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK53 Speed Issue with wired backhaul

Something to see if that works. Also might see if keeping PPPoE on ISP router, configure RBR for router mode and put the IP address the RBR get from the ISP router in to the ISP routers DMZ and speed test then...

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Maybe the PPPoE protocol, see some of these don't speed test well on this protocol.

Orbi does support near 900Mpbs on the WAN side:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-Satellite-setup-some-thoughts-and-questions/m-p/1695...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Download-speed-cut-in-half-on-wired-connection/m-p/1695372/hig...

Message 2 of 9
PCSP
Guide

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

MFR: ZTE

Model: F668

Hardware Version: 5.2

Software Version: 5.2.10P3T51

Boot Loader Version: 5.2.10

I try connect follow the diagram (see attachment)

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you leave PPPoE on the modem and set the RBR to AP mode? 

Message 4 of 9
PCSP
Guide

I didn't test it ...  and I need ISP to set PPPoE on Router/ONU. ISP block the menu and they will reset to default setting too

If AP mode can work at 900Mbps, How I can fix it if I want PPPoE at Orbi not ONU/ISP Router?

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to see if that works. Also might see if keeping PPPoE on ISP router, configure RBR for router mode and put the IP address the RBR get from the ISP router in to the ISP routers DMZ and speed test then...

Message 6 of 9
PCSP
Guide

Ok I will try this way ...

Message 7 of 9
PCSP
Guide

Now It works, 

- PPPoE on ONU / ISP Router

- Orbi use Router Mode

- Test Speed with Wired - 870-920 Mbps (Up and down)

- Test Speed with Wireless - 4-500 Mbps (Up and down)

But Why I cannot use PPPoE on Orbi to get full speed? 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible problem in PPPoE handling at the RBR or with the RBR and ISP Modem in bridge mode. Hard to say for sure. 

At least its working now for you. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7