Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK53 System Acting Odd Lately

bigbruin
Aspirant

Orbi RBK53 System Acting Odd Lately

I posted this yesterday, but it seems the thread was locked. If something is wrong with what I am posting, please let me know, as I really would like some help.

I have an RBK53 system with the RBR50, 2x RBS50's, and a RBS20 I added later. The two RBS50's are hardwired back to the RBR50, while the RBS20 uses a wireless backhual as it is more remote (@40 feet from the nearest satellite, and two floors and about 50 feet straightline from the router). They have been up and running just over a year with minimal issues. In December two things happened that may have lead to issues, but since they were simultaneous I am unsure what lead to my problems.

A. The Armor subscription "auto-renewed". I say that as the money was taken through Bitdefender's store front, but the service lapsed anyway. They claimed I chose the wrong product, but since I chose nothing and it auto-renewed, I don't see how I screwed it up. Took a while to try to resolve with them, and in the end I got a refund and gave up the renewal since it was still showing "Security Off - Expired" in the app and the web interface after they 'helped' me. I eventually checked out on a new subscription through the Armor app and it is now showing security is on.

B. I got an email in December about allowing the critical firmware updates to apply, but I wasn't getting any pushed to the devices. After a couple weeks of checking, and during the whole expired Armor issue I finally saw that the website had V2.7.1.60 for the RB_50s, and 2.6.1.38 for the RBS20. I applied them, and then the RB-50's wanted to automatically update to 2.7.2.102, which is where they are now.

The issue is that the app and the web interface are hit or miss as to what they will do. Wondering what my best path forward would be, and if a firmware rollback is typical or even allowed... I have not tried yet, but I have had routers where you could not go backwards. Hoping to avoid a reset due to the number of static IP addresses, Dynamic DNS, and other settings that would have to be redone, and my inability to load all those pages reliably to generate a backup right now. Advice?

The issues, none of which existed before recently:

1 - The app and main page of the web interface will show random number of satellites, from 0-3, but I am sure theat the three are all still functioning since my coverage is good and devices hardwired to the satellites stay functional.

Image of App Home Page  

2 - They will show random number of connected devices, between 0-50, with 50 probably being about right, and 0 not being correct since everything seems to be working and with three kids remote learning right now I am sure I would be hearing complaints.

3 - Somewhat randomly it will not load some pages in the router web interface, sometimes with long swirly icons that never go anywhere, and sometimes with a 500 error.

4 - If I try to go to Advanced -> LAN Setup in the web interface to look at the static IP addresses that have been previously set, it will typically load slowly, flash the contents of that page for a split second, and then go to the ADVANCED Home page.

5 - While looking to do a firmware rollback, I found that page is screwed up, showing me with dozens of satellites. See image below, where the first 4 are real, and yes one is named Squee, but there should be a single Squee. I didn't capture them all, but by the size of that scroll bar on the right, trust me that list goes on for a while.

Image of Firmware Update Page 

To address other network related configs - The system is connected to the Internet via a Netgear CM600 cable modem. I have two simple Netgear switches near remote endpoints on the network, and right at the router I have a Netgear GS116Ev2 managed switch which is not setup to do any management right now (used to use it to do link aggregation for two NAS devices).

Thanks!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok this is finally unlocked.

So if you turn OFF all but the RBR first and check the FW update page, what do you see? Then turn ON the RBS50s and check.

Would be a good test to disable Armor as well on the RBR, apply the setting, power OFF the RBR for 30 seconds then back ON and check the FW update page. 

Message 2 of 10
bigbruin
Aspirant

Thanks - I'll try these ideas later and see what happens.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You might factory reset and setup from scratch on everything as well if nothing seems to change. 

Message 4 of 10
vajim
Master

Message 5 of 10
bigbruin
Aspirant

OK, well it may be sorted out now, thanks.  I'll wait a few days to be sure since the performance was erratic.  But, I took the ideas here and  rebooted the router with the satellites off.  I was nervous as while it was rebooting it seemed to take forever.  I added the two hardwired satellites, and the app showed I was online with two satellites...  The first time it had not shown 0 in days, so that was a good start.  Web interface was looking good, too.  Eventually added the RBS20 slightly closer to the nearest other satellite now (it is still the only wireless satellite), and everything is back to how it used to be with all 3 satellites online.  The RBS20 always seems like the problem child of the group, but I don't want to say it was ll its fault for why things went completely haywire for a few weeks.  I will think of how I can get it hardwired, and maybe that is all it really needs.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Daisay Chain enabled on the RBR? Just curious.

You might downgrade FW on the RBS20 and see. Others have posted seeing problems with recent FW on the RBS20. 

Glad it's working not. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed. 

Message 7 of 10
bigbruin
Aspirant

I had to look just now, but yes, daisy chain topology is enabled. 

I will see how it goes for now, but may downgrade the RBS20 if it seems like it is still flaky.  Just recently learned of the RBS40's existence...  Wishing I had gotten that one instead now.  

Backup has now been made!  Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Maybe downgrading the RBS20 will help that unit. 

Enjoy. 

Message 9 of 10
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok. Maybe downgrading the RBS20 will help that unit. 

Enjoy. 

and all the others

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7