Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK53 questions

Orbi RBK53 questions

I am in the market to buy a “mesh” system and all the reviews are pointing me towards Orbi. I had a couple of questions and hope to get them sorted before I pull the trigger.

My home is about 1600sq ft., in about 2 years we will be adding about 600sq ft. more. We have about a little over an acre, and my home is dead center of my lot. We have FiOS gigabit and currently use a Nighthawk R7000. The WiFi signals range from about 300mbps next to router to about 45 in the bedrooms and about 45 in basement. My router is as close to center of the home on first floor as I can get (about 15’ from front of house, 5’ from back and mid way width). My range outdoors is tolerable at best.

I am wondering a few questions:

1. Because my Nighthawk is struggle city to get more than 300mbps from FiOS (and it’s definitely the router), will Orbi have the same issues for devices directly plugged in?

2. Even though 3 units for 1600sq is overkill, my thought on the 3rd unit is for the garage, to help broadcast to the outside and that general area of the house. I hope to daisy chain them all together via wire. Is this a concern with too many units?

3. The fact that my main unit is close to center point, should a second unit be upstairs/basement in a corner? Or upstairs/basement center? I understand it’s a circular range, but is it a true sphere range or is the height a bigger drop off compared to left/right?

4. I don’t care about QOS or parental controls (future maybe), but I know these features destroy the Nighthawks performance. Would this be the same case?

5. Does anyone have this with gigabit and see any issues getting gigabit speeds through the router? My house is wired cat6.

And replies are much appreciated.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK53 questions

1. Because my Nighthawk is struggle city to get more than 300mbps from FiOS (and it’s definitely the router), will Orbi have the same issues for devices directly plugged in?
LAN devices should speed test capable up to 900Mb. Wireless will max out at around 400-500Mb based on device support and design.

2. Even though 3 units for 1600sq is overkill, my thought on the 3rd unit is for the garage, to help broadcast to the outside and that general area of the house. I hope to daisy chain them all together via wire. Is this a concern with too many units?
1600sq ft you really only need a base router and maybe one satellite for the garage. If your going to keep the same center placement of the router. I have a 5000sq ft home and use juse the base router at one end up stairs and 1 satellite at the other end of the house with 40 feet inbetween. I get great coverage and performance. You may just want to place a satellite in the garage if you our there alot.

3. The fact that my main unit is close to center point, should a second unit be upstairs/basement in a corner? Or upstairs/basement center? I understand it’s a circular range, but is it a true sphere range or is the height a bigger drop off compared to left/right?
30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

4. I don’t care about QOS or parental controls (future maybe), but I know these features destroy the Nighthawks performance. Would this be the same case?
Theres same features, however as long as you don't enable them or use them, you'll be fine.

5. Does anyone have this with gigabit and see any issues getting gigabit speeds through the router? My house is wired cat6.

QOS or parental controls and Traffic Meter, as long as you don't enable them or use them, you'll be fine.

Message 2 of 8

Thanks @FURRYe38. So even though a 3 setup would be overkill, would it cause issues? I only ask because its about $330 for RBK50, but I can get the RBK53 for $350. Seems silly to not get the 3.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes it may cause issues however get the better deal, after you get it you don't HAVE to connect the additional satellites. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 8

@FURRYe38 its unfortunate to hear that they speeds can still be a concern if using Parental Controls. I am not quite their yet, but my twins are 3.5 and will be soon enough.

Using Circle, do you think I would just be in the same boat as with my Nighthawk R7000? Or should it perform better?

How does it work with switches as well? My server (for media/Plex.etc) is wired as such, from router->switch->server. Currently it gets about 200mbps, as does everything through my router (so the switch seems fine). Does Orbi play well with switches?

ONT (FiOS) -> Orbi (no FiOS modem/router) -> Switch -> Server.

And one last Q I swear, but since my FiOS comes in via the basement, would it be smarter for my main hub to be in the basement or should it remain dead center of my house how it is now? I would assume center of house.

Message 5 of 8
djc6
Luminary

@donalcombright wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38. So even though a 3 setup would be overkill, would it cause issues? I only ask because its about $330 for RBK50, but I can get the RBK53 for $350. Seems silly to not get the 3.

Costco has 90 day return period to see if you like it.  Once 90 days are up, sell extra satellite from RBK53 on eBay!

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You have time.

Orbi is way newer than the R7000 and newer and updated hardware as well. 

Just make sure any switches you use are NON Managed switches. Orbi seems to have problems with managed. 

I have two D-Link DGS-105 in between my base and 1 satellite. 

I would keep the base centrally in the home. 

@donalcombright wrote:

@FURRYe38 its unfortunate to hear that they speeds can still be a concern if using Parental Controls. I am not quite their yet, but my twins are 3.5 and will be soon enough.

Using Circle, do you think I would just be in the same boat as with my Nighthawk R7000? Or should it perform better?

How does it work with switches as well? My server (for media/Plex.etc) is wired as such, from router->switch->server. Currently it gets about 200mbps, as does everything through my router (so the switch seems fine). Does Orbi play well with switches?

ONT (FiOS) -> Orbi (no FiOS modem/router) -> Switch -> Server.

And one last Q I swear, but since my FiOS comes in via the basement, would it be smarter for my main hub to be in the basement or should it remain dead center of my house how it is now? I would assume center of house.

Message 7 of 8
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Yeah I got mine at Costco for $350, and someone paid me $225 for my extra RBS50 Sat, as that is what they run for on Amazon.  Net result for me was a very good deal, for what I kept.

Also I have Circle and don't see a major performance issue.  I have the new beta firmware 2.2.0.66 (for the last day) and I do see a potential DNS resolution issue that could be related, but it's unproven so far and for sure not proven to be an issue directly related to Circle.  I am doing more testing before I even say it's a real problem.  Having said that, I ran Circle on the current, standard firmware, for a couple months and had zero issues with it and never noticed a performance problem.

I have symetric gigabit fiber and get full speeds when directly connected (wires) to the ONT and use wired clients.  There is a very slight processing hit but this is to be expected with a device such as this.  975/1000 is fine by me.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7