Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK53 setup question - Modem/Router/Switch connection?

fljoemon
Guide

Orbi RBK53 setup question - Modem/Router/Switch connection?

Greetings folks,

Planning to move into our new house. 2 storied, approx 5300 sq ft.. Spectrum cable coming in to my Office on the 2nd level. I have pre-wired Cat6 to almost all places where there is going to be a TV. Need some decent coverage upstairs & downstairs, hence opting to buy Orbi RBK53 from Costco. So Cable modem is a combo router/phone modem and I plan to disable the WiFi on it and use the Orbi in AP mode. Question is do I connect Cable Modem -> 16 port unmanaged switch -> Orbi Main AP or should I connect Cable Modem -> Orbi Main AP -> 16 port unmamaged switch. I also plan on setting up the satellites wireless as they will be residing in the halls upstairs & one satellite in the family room downstairs. Thanks for your insights!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Directly connection with the Orbi in AP mode to the ISP Modem would be preferred, however if in AP mode, it's not as important and you can connect the RBR in AP Mode to the un-managed switch. 

Be sure this un-managed switch doesn't have any Green Ethernet features. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 6
fljoemon
Guide

Appreciate the reply .. I read up on it also that directly connecting the cable modem to Orbi and then the switch is preferred. The switch is a very basic HP Office 1405-16 Desktop Switch. Might have to check in on the "green" stuff as it states on the description "All models are fanless for quiet and "green" operation, and are designed for high reliability, long life, low power consumption, and low total cost of ownership. " Argh .. will need to pick up a NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, Desktop (GS316)

Message 3 of 6
fljoemon
Guide

Seems like the GS316 is a green switch. Any recommendations for a 16-port non-green Gigabit switch?

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

If you already have the 16 port switch, I (personally) would give it a try before investing in another switch.  My TP-Link TL-SG108E claims to be "Green", and has given me no trouble at all.  (Heck, according to the description, in addition to being "unmanaged", it also has "intelligent management features".)  Anyway, what harm is it to try?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I use Hp 1400 series ProCurve Switches. I have a 24pt and couple of 8 ports

Also D-Links DGS-105/108 and 1016s are good. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7