Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK53 using Dovado Pro as router?

SSSTAINLESSS
Aspirant

Orbi RBK53 using Dovado Pro as router?

Hi, I am considering buying a RBK50 and possibly adding another RBS50, effectively making it a RBK53.

My question is,

I have a Dovado Router in the garage in the NBN box plugged into the ethernet switch. From there i will have the orbi units using ethernet points throughout thew house. As the wirelss signal from the garage is pretty weak can I still use the Dovado as the router and utilise all the orbi equipment inside the house? I just dont want to waste the main unit in the garage where it will give a poor signal when i could use it inside the house via ethernet.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK53 using Dovado Pro as router?

You can use the host router if you wish. It's recommended to disable wireless on the host router however. You can either use the host router in this configuration and use the Orbi in AP mode or use the host router and Orbi both in router mode however you'll have a double NAT condition. You can use the host routers DMZ for the Orbi router in router mode as well. 

Message 2 of 6
SSSTAINLESSS
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38,

So AP mode will just make it act like another satelite I can place anywhere in the house (with an ethernet point)?

That would be great, and eliminate the need to purchase the extra satelite if so.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR unit will act as a wireless AP only, not as a satellite. While the router portion of the RBR unit are disabled when in AP mode, the RBR will just be a wireless AP providing wireless signal for connected devices and satellites. The RBS units can only act as extenders for wireless signal between the RBR unit and connected devices. 

Message 4 of 6
SSSTAINLESSS
Aspirant

Excellent.

Also the satelites have 4 ethernet ports each yes? So they can do more than just act as wireless extenders for wireless signal?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the 50 series satellites have 4 LAN ports, while 40 and 20 series only have two ports. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7