Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK53

wes1414
Follower

Orbi RBK53

#1 The signal strength is strangly lower in some places than others around the base router. Just on the other side of my home office wall, the signal drops to 50%?  Does this have anything to do with channels or is there a way to optimize channels throughout the orbi network?  I can't find anything on the topic. 

#2  Also if i can't get the signal up by optimizing channels, can i add a nighthawk router to the orbi so i don't have to buy another sattelite?  I have a centurylink modem/router.  I turned off the router part and installled orbi.   Orbi is then connected to my ethernet switch that runs throughout the home for security, cameras, tv's etc.  Can i add the nighthawk to an ethernet port elsewhere the signal sucks and configure it as an access point? 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@wes1414 wrote:

#1 The signal strength is strangly lower in some places than others around the base router. 

That's Wi-Fi.  How are you measuring signal strength, for 2.4G and 5G?  How big is this house that an Orbi and two satellites do not provide adequate service?

@wes1414 wrote:

#2 ...Can i add the nighthawk to an ethernet port elsewhere the signal sucks and configure it as an access point? 

Yes, of course you can add the Nighthawk as an Access Point.  (I have done so.)  HOWEVER, please understand that ONLY Orbi satellites create a "seamless mesh" Wi-Fi network.  Devices will not "hand off" between the Orbi and Nighthawk.  (It doesn't matter to me because I put the Nighthawk in to provide Wi-Fi to some IP cameras that do not move.  I even gave the Nighthawk a different SSID.)

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@wes1414 wrote:

#1 The signal strength is strangly lower in some places than others around the base router. Just on the other side of my home office wall, the signal drops to 50%?  Does this have anything to do with channels or is there a way to optimize channels throughout the orbi network?  I can't find anything on the topic. 

#2  Also if i can't get the signal up by optimizing channels, can i add a nighthawk router to the orbi so i don't have to buy another sattelite?  I have a centurylink modem/router.  I turned off the router part and installled orbi.   Orbi is then connected to my ethernet switch that runs throughout the home for security, cameras, tv's etc.  Can i add the nighthawk to an ethernet port elsewhere the signal sucks and configure it as an access point? 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7