Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK53s - Satellite Placement

Patrick_me
Follower

Orbi RBK53s - Satellite Placement

Does it help coverage to place satellites high off the ground (assumes they are in range of the router)?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK53s - Satellite Placement

@Patrick_me wrote:

Does it help coverage to place satellites high off the ground (assumes they are in range of the router)?

The less material WiFi signals have to penetrate, the better.  Placing units "down low", such as on furniture will tend to create more impediments, and thus worse performance.  For example, a typical refrigerator is going to cast a huge WiFi "shadow".  I know someone who placed the WiFi router 12" above the floor, inside a cabinet, between two metal equipment boxes and was surprised that he got poor performance.  Amazon seems to sell several brands of wall mounts for Orbi units, so there must be people who find it better.

I don't know about "high" vs. "middle", but "low" is certainly not a great idea. (which is one reason I had little interest iin the RBW30 satelllite.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7