Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR 20 - 2.4g - 5g

JnGalt52
Initiate

Orbi RBR 20 - 2.4g - 5g

My Orbi and Satellite send a 5g speed to my devices. I need to have access to 2.4g from time to time to set up and manage certain smart home products like switches and lights.

How can I reset the router to do that?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JnGalt52
Initiate

Here's what worked for me.
I logged into my FiOS Frontier modem and switched the 2.4g "ON".
So, as a rule, everything runs on the Orbi network but when I "need" 2.4g... I log into my primary WiFi account and run off the modem.
When done, I switch back to the Orbi network which at 5g is faster.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
vajim
Master

This topic has been discussed many times here.  Your devices do have access to 2.4g.  In a 'Mesh' system, the Orbi router decides which freq to allow the device to connect.

Options that have worked for me:

Turn down the 5g 

or...

Setup a seperate 2.4g network with a seperate extender

Do a search here in the community or stand by for floods of advice.  Just make sure you let everyone know exactly what your whole network is comprised of and how the 2.4g device connects to your network.

Good luck

Message 2 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@JnGalt52 wrote:

My Orbi and Satellite send a 5g speed to my devices.

No, it does offer 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz concurrently. Both radios and the LAN ports are connected and represent the very same network, LAN, IP subnetwork. Access to all devices is fully transparent.

@vajim wrote:

In a 'Mesh' system, the Orbi router decides which freq to allow the device to connect.

Well, it's mostly up to the wireless client where and how it does try to associate, using the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band where available.

Mesh aware clients receive a list of BSSIDs where the same SSID i(network name) s served. Dual band clients (like decent mobile devices) will - especially on shorter range - prefer 5 GHz for the obvious reasons. Technically, there is nothing stopping anyone from operating and managing IoJ devices operating on 2.4 GHz. Except of some ***** Apps which still come with the (mostly nonsense) requirement to connect to the 2.4 GHz band. On some Apps, the check can be skipped - some makers do listen to their customer complaints. Something the crApp makers could easily fix, @JnGalt52 this is where you must head out and complain - everything you need is in this post!

Matter of fact, most mobile devices have no controls which band must be used, few advanced driver makers offer some preference controls on the driver level. But there is no "connect to 2.4 GHz" enforcement possible.

Under very rare conditions, outdated IoJ WiFI clients struggle to discover (e.g. caused by additional bits and bytes in the protocol coming e.g. from 802.11ax aka. WiFi 6 support, or from the enhanced radio resource management controls flying over the air. here again, the IoJ makers must be made aware and have to fix their junk.

This is definitively not a problem with the Mesh device. Just for the poor users.

Beyond, I agree with @vajim .

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear provides a simple mechanism to accomplish this:
Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
Uncheck the box, "Broadcast SSID on 5G"
Click "Apply"
All devices that are currently connected to the Orbi will remain connected.
On the smartphone, go to wireless settings and "forget" the Orbi SSID
Search for available WiFi networks. Select the Orbi WiFi. Enter the password. and connect.
If you are curious about whether the smartphone is actually connected at 2.4G, you have to wait a few minutes, because the "Attached Devices" display takes a while to update.
Open the app and set up the 2.4G device.
Once the device is connected and working as it should, reverse the steps.
Check the "Broadcast" box and click "Apply"
"Forget" the Orbi WiFi. Search. Enter password. Connect.

Be aware that there seems to be a time limit with some iOS or Android devices that will connect to the 2.4Ghz radio for a short period of time before changing automatically to the 5Ghz SSID, even though it's been hidden. The SSID is hidden only, thus the signal is still present. So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was.

@JnGalt52 wrote:

My Orbi and Satellite send a 5g speed to my devices. I need to have access to 2.4g from time to time to set up and manage certain smart home products like switches and lights.

How can I reset the router to do that?

Message 4 of 10
vajim
Master

It'd be nice if NG would make this type of info more widely known rather than forcing folks to come in here and sort through hundreds of insider bogart posts.

Again from my real life experience, this simple mechanism was NOT there when I first purchased my Orbi and unless you've ever been faced with this situation, you'll never know the pain and frustration.

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@vajim wrote:

It'd be nice if NG would make this type of info more widely known rather than forcing folks to come in here and sort through hundreds of insider bogart posts.

Can't agree more. Various information is absent, also the requirements when operating Orbi along with "managed" switches supporting STP/RSTP/MSP. Biggest problem is that community feedback from the Home Networking does often not reach Netgear. 

@vajim wrote:

Again from my real life experience, this simple mechanism was NOT there when I first purchased my Orbi and unless you've ever been faced with this situation, you'll never know the pain and frustration.

This options lined out by @FURRYe38 was developed and suggested by community members.

Message 6 of 10
JnGalt52
Initiate

So, as a rule, everything runs on the Orbi network but when I "need" 2.4g... I log into my primary WiFi account and run off the modem.
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Thats a good method too. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@JnGalt52 wrote:

Message 8 of 10
vajim
Master

Glad you got it working. Thats a good method too. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@JnGalt52 I don't fully understand the approach. Is this other router active as the router, and Orbi does host work as an Access Point - and of course the other router does have the same network name and security set, somit can temporary play the only 2.4 GHz network on air, while connecting to the same LAN?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7