Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR 20 Connecting a thermostat

JGobeil
Aspirant

Orbi RBR 20 Connecting a thermostat

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a Honeywell thermostat without success.  It seems that the problem is that it requires a 2.4 Ghz only connection.  How can I do that ?

Thanks for your help

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

People have reported connecting Honeywell thermostats in the past.  Like most Internet of Things (IoT) things, thermostats typically include the least expensive WiFi radio chip (2.4G only) which fortunately also has the greatest range (compared to 5G or 6G radios).

The Orbi broadcasts 2.4G WiFi, so the Honeywell can "see" it.  (The Honeywell cannot detect or have any interaction with the 5G radio simply because it does not have a 5G chip in it.)

Can you please provide the specific Honeywell model?

and.. at what specific step in the connection process does setup fail?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

People have reported connecting Honeywell thermostats in the past.  Like most Internet of Things (IoT) things, thermostats typically include the least expensive WiFi radio chip (2.4G only) which fortunately also has the greatest range (compared to 5G or 6G radios).

The Orbi broadcasts 2.4G WiFi, so the Honeywell can "see" it.  (The Honeywell cannot detect or have any interaction with the 5G radio simply because it does not have a 5G chip in it.)

Can you please provide the specific Honeywell model?

and.. at what specific step in the connection process does setup fail?

Message 2 of 4
JGobeil
Aspirant

Thanks  CrimpOn for your reply and sorry for the delay in responding.

My Orbi model is RBR20 and my thermostat is theLyric Pro WIFi.  My phone is a Google phone wunning Android 12.

I gave up trying and I couldn't find a solution to make this connection 2.4 only.  I'm using the thermostat without WiFi and it works fine.

For my use, being able to use the thermostat from my phone is more a gadget than a utility.

Have a great day and thanks again.

Jules

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

There are loads of videos on the web about connecting Honeywell t6 Pro to WiFi.  And, I believe there was a post recently from a user about how his t6 needed to update firmware before it would connect.  (dim memory) but I seem to recall something about connecting it to a phone Hot Spot so that it could update firmware and then it connected to his home WiFi.

My wife will not get out of bed in the morning until she has changed the temperature setting.  There are signs that she no longer remembers how to work the physical thermostat. (Nest)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7