Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR 50 Connecting Remotely

SteveDT
Tutor

Orbi RBR 50 Connecting Remotely

Why is there a "Connect Remotely" button on the iOS app, but when I touch it (when away from home), it says that my RBR50 is Disconnected?  I have already turned on the Remote Connection option on the router.   Is there something I'm missing?

Message 1 of 11
ekhalil
Master

There are two "Remote Management" settings in Orbi, one for the web GUI remote management and the other for Orbi app remote management. If you want to use remote management in the app you need to enable "Remote Management" in the Orbi app as follows:
fullsizeoutput_691.jpegfullsizeoutput_68c.jpeg

Message 2 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Complete odd - back on the Genie App times there was  clear differentiation by using Remote Management vs. REmote Access. But some over-smart people mixed the same designation fro two very different features.

Message 3 of 11
SteveDT
Tutor

I've done both, but still seeing "Disconnected."

IMG_0901.PNG

Message 4 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@SteveDT wrote:

I've done both, but still seeing "Disconnected."

Are you able to remotely access the web GUI from a browser to https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443 

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your public IP address or DDNS host name.

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Does the App based remote access (for the App) stick with on?

Reason asking, for a while, and since multiple attempts of factory resets, the R9000 does not keep the Remote Administration ... it does slide to off immediately after enabling.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@SteveDT wrote:

Why is there a "Connect Remotely" button on the iOS app, but when I touch it (when away from home), it says that my RBR50 is Disconnected?  I have already turned on the Remote Connection option on the router.   Is there something I'm missing?

Message 7 of 11
SteveDT
Tutor

I'm on Verizon the Fios Quantum Gateway router.

Message 8 of 11
SteveDT
Tutor

No, I'm afraid I'm not able to access remotely via the web GUI.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a possible double NAT condition which isn't recommended and would be a cause of remote management not working. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@SteveDT wrote:

I'm on Verizon the Fios Quantum Gateway router.

Message 10 of 11
ekhalil
Master

Please check that you don't have double NAT.  One quick way to test if double NAT exists is a traceroute.
Please open a Command Prompt on any computer connected to Orbi and type:
> tracert 8.8.8.8
this will make a traceroute to Google’s DNS server. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good. 
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7