Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR 50 New firmware v2.0.0.74: Can you enable MU-MIMO, fast roaming and Beamforming now??

JudeMills
Tutor

Orbi RBR 50 New firmware v2.0.0.74: Can you enable MU-MIMO, fast roaming and Beamforming now??

Wondering if under the newest firmware v2.0.0.74, you can now enable Beamforming, MU-MIMO and fast roaming? Under the older firmware version, Netgear suggested unclicking those boxes to get the system to communicate with itself better. Trying to tweek more speed out of the wifi. Appreciate any input. Also, read somewhere, that with the newest firmware version, the orbi satellites can now communicate with each other to pass along connectivity to form a true "mesh" system? True, or does each satellite still only communicate with just the router?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
Hydro130
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBR 50 New firmware v2.0.0.74: Can you enable MU-MIMO, fast roaming and Beamforming now??

My own experience has been that Orbi is OK with implicit beamforming (IB) and MU-MIMO (MM) "On", but my setup is better with both off.  Your mileage may vary - I suggest experimenting and seeing what's best for you.

In my case, I don't any older wireless devices (i.e. non-ac) that would benefit from IB, so I generally haven't ever had that option enabled, outside of doing some gee-whiz testing.  

I don't have multiple MM devices, so I wouldn't benefit from having that option checked, so I don't have it enabled.

As for Fast Transition (FT)...  I tried that when it foist rolled out with the 2.0 firmware, but I experienced quite a few drops with my wifi-calling, so I now have the FT option unchecked too.  

In my setup, most of my house has some overalp between my router and sat unit, so i think the having the FT option enabled just caused my iPhone to constantly jump between the router and sat.  I'm fine with my phone being "sticky" with whatever unit (router or sat) it wants to be sticky with, so FT does more harm than good for me.

I don't have multiple sat units, so I have no interest in the new mesh option (that's the "Daisy Chain"option in Settings).  I disabled that option, since it seems to be enabled by default.

But if you have multiple sat units that have problems connectimng using the current "star" topology, then the Daisy Chain (mesh) option is certainly worth trying.

Message 2 of 8
JudeMills
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR 50 New firmware v2.0.0.74: Can you enable MU-MIMO, fast roaming and Beamforming now??

Good info. Thanks for the feedback.  Hoping the daisy chain feature works, since want to buy another satellite [currently have 2] and it would be placed where it would have to connect to a satellite since it would be too far away from the router to be able to establish a connection.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 8

@JudeMills wrote:

Hoping the daisy chain feature works, since want to buy another satellite [currently have 2] and it would be placed where it would have to connect to a satellite since it would be too far away from the router to be able to establish a connection.

it works but its very sensitive to placement and you need to make sure its well out of range of the router or it will and can cause connectivity issues

eg there should be no wireless overlap from the router where you want to set the third sat

so like

sat -------- router --------- sat --------------sat

Message 4 of 8
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have all of those options on with 25 or so devices connected, even older stuff and everything is working great.

A couple of Ring Doorbells, Wifi cameras around the house, WEMO devices, Computers, IPads, iPhones, Airplay, Synology NAS, TV, etc.. so all generations from b ot AC.

Message 5 of 8

i would be throwing out the wireless B devices though as it will be effecting all your other devices capability as the wifi is forced to work really badly with a B device connected

Message 6 of 8
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@peteytesting wrote:

i would be throwing out the wireless B devices though as it will be effecting all your other devices capability as the wifi is forced to work really badly with a B device connected

Working on that. fortunately most things I need speed on are on the 5 Ghz band.

Message 7 of 8
rgadue
Aspirant

Right after I enabled IB and fast roaming my system doesn't see one of my satellites; I have two and router.  Wondering if there's something I need to do so the missing one returns.  I just disabled both settings and still showing 1 satellite. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7