Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR 50 Slow WiFi speed

fwt1968
Initiate

Orbi RBR 50 Slow WiFi speed

I have a Spectrum Internet connection rated at 200 Mbps.  I am getting slightly more on downloads.  

Speedtest on my phone is more like 15 Mbps.  Phone is Samsung 8+. sitting in room next to router, although I also have 3 satelites in the house. Orbi phone app shows Internet speed to be 200 Mbps+, same as the wired connection speedtest on my desktop on an wired connection. Firmware on router is current version. 

Any ideas?  I think phone should be faster. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR 50 Slow WiFi speed

Turn off the sateliites and then connect the phone to the router and try a speed test. Turn back on after testing...

Also try a speed test with speedtest.net app and not the Orbi app on the phone. 

How big is your home? SqFt? 

What is the disatance between the router and satellites? 

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming. 

Message 2 of 8
fwt1968
Initiate

Thanks.  WWM was diabled.  When enabled, speed is now 200+ Mbps.  I was using Speedtest on phone to check speed. 

I have disabled daisy chain only at this time.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

WMM should always be enabled for best performances on wifi.

Glad its working now.

Enjoy.

Message 4 of 8
mikemiddleman
Initiate

I recently experience a similar issue. I had swapped out several routers in search of resolution, switch every channel, done firmware rollbacks, resets, etc. In my instance I noticed the wifi speed would work ok after a modem and router reset and quickly go back to an intollerable speed (>5mbps). When the speed dropped I connected my computer straight to the modem and did a speed check and diagnosed that the issue was not the router as I suspected. I called up spectrum and for some reason the bandwidth codes were not properly communicating with my modem. Spectrum flashed my modem and at least for the moment resolved my issue. If you have this issue as a next step you may want to consider factory resetting your modem. Figured I would share just incase it helps someone out there.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@fwt1968 wrote:

I have a Spectrum Internet connection rated at 200 Mbps.  I am getting slightly more on downloads.  

Speedtest on my phone is more like 15 Mbps.  Phone is Samsung 8+. sitting in room next to router, although I also have 3 satelites in the house. Orbi phone app shows Internet speed to be 200 Mbps+, same as the wired connection speedtest on my desktop on an wired connection. Firmware on router is current version. 

Any ideas?  I think phone should be faster. 

Message 6 of 8
mikemiddleman
Initiate

Update:

Spectrum physically came to my property and identified that squirrels had chewed on the line coming into my home. The end cause of the issue was moisture impacting the signal coming into my house. Humidity levels and rain dramatically reduced speeds, the heat of the day would dry out the line and return speeds to normal. When the technician came and removed the wire water was pouring out like a straw... 

In summary as a last resort have the signal to your modem checked and ensure there is not physical damage to your line before you lose your mind like I did and swap out all your hardware.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you go it figured out. Darn squirrels. 

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

@mikemiddleman wrote:

Update:

Spectrum physically came to my property and identified that squirrels had chewed on the line coming into my home. The end cause of the issue was moisture impacting the signal coming into my house. Humidity levels and rain dramatically reduced speeds, the heat of the day would dry out the line and return speeds to normal. When the technician came and removed the wire water was pouring out like a straw... 

In summary as a last resort have the signal to your modem checked and ensure there is not physical damage to your line before you lose your mind like I did and swap out all your hardware.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7