Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR-50 cannot see all satellites

Piggington
Tutor

Orbi RBR-50 cannot see all satellites

My RBR50 system has two satellites.

They were running 2.3.1.44 on the other day when I was checking the system status.

However, both Orbi App and direct login to router web page indicated that only one satellite was online and backhaul status for the other one was "disconnected".

I resetted the "offline" satellite and manually synched it to router, but still it showed offline in web page. 

The I upgraded the firmware in router and one satellite to 2.3.5.30, but it did not help. Both app and web page indicated that the other satellite (which is still running 2.3.1.44) is offline.

However, if I connect my laptop (Airplane mode, WiFi disabled) with ethernet cable to "offline" satellite, I can access internet just fine. 

RBR50 is being used in router mode, with following default settings:
Region North America 
2.4G Channel Auto ( 7 ) 
2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps 
5G Channel 36+40+44+48(P) 
5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps
BEAMFORMING - not enabled
MU-MIMO - not enabled
Fast Roaming - not enabled

What needs to be done to get second satellite to appear on Orbi App?
Can satellite FW be upgraded with USB stick?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Piggington
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR-50 cannot see all satellites

Now all ORBIs are running the same Firmware.

It seems that the extension cord, where the problematic satellite was getting its power, was flaky. By replacing the cord, I was able to update the firmware. 

Now both Orbi App and web page are correctly showing 2 satellites. Problem solved.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Is Daisy Chain enabled? 

How are the RBS placed? Star configuration or out in a line from the RBR? 

Has the effected 2nd RBS not upgraded FW yet? v44

If not, factory reset the effected RBS and connect a wired PC to the back of this satellite. Don't sync it, just wait for the top LED to pulsate WHITE. Have the RBS v30 FW on the wired PC ready. Log into the RBS web page at 192.168.1.250. Log in is admin and PW is password. Load the v30 FW file. AFter it loads, I would do one more reset and wait for the pulsating WHITE led on top, then re-sync with the RBR. 

@Piggington wrote:

My RBR50 system has two satellites.

They were running 2.3.1.44 on the other day when I was checking the system status.

However, both Orbi App and direct login to router web page indicated that only one satellite was online and backhaul status for the other one was "disconnected".

I resetted the "offline" satellite and manually synched it to router, but still it showed offline in web page. 

The I upgraded the firmware in router and one satellite to 2.3.5.30, but it did not help. Both app and web page indicated that the other satellite (which is still running 2.3.1.44) is offline.

However, if I connect my laptop (Airplane mode, WiFi disabled) with ethernet cable to "offline" satellite, I can access internet just fine. 

RBR50 is being used in router mode, with following default settings:
Region North America 
2.4G Channel Auto ( 7 ) 
2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps 
5G Channel 36+40+44+48(P) 
5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps
BEAMFORMING - not enabled
MU-MIMO - not enabled
Fast Roaming - not enabled

What needs to be done to get second satellite to appear on Orbi App?
Can satellite FW be upgraded with USB stick?

Message 2 of 8
Piggington
Tutor

My two story home is about 2100 sqft.
The system has been in use since 2017 and it has been able to see all the satellites and only recently Satellite 2 was not seen. I do not know what is the exact time, but I suspect that FW upgrade to 2.3.1.44 was successfull, since it is also in Satellite 2.  

The router is in the downstairs, satellite 1 (which can be seen in Orbi app) is in garage, Satellite 2 (which cannot be seen in Orbi App) is upstairs in master bedroom. Satellite 1 is about 15 feet from router, Satellite 2 abt 30 ft. 

Daisy Chain is set as enabled. 

Btw, I took Satellite 2 from upstairs and brought it to same room where RTR is. Still it cannot be seen in Orbi App, but I can access internet when in wired only configuration.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

"Satellite 1 is about 15 feet from router" - This one is too close to the RBR. 30 feet to begin with. 

What happens if you turn off the #1 RBS...? Does the other appear in the app then? 

See if you can get the effected RBS updated then see if it appears in the app.

Message 4 of 8
Piggington
Tutor

As I mentioned, the system used to see all of the satellites before and was working flawlessly, even Satellite-1 was abt 15 feet from router.
Unfortunately I cannot move the satellite away from the garage as my security cameras are hardwired to it. I might be able to move it few feet. 

But then again, if distance is an issue to begin with, why the system used to work fine earlier? But I'll try to switch it off and see if it has any impact to visibility of Satellite-2 upstairs.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBR and RBSs all on the same version of FW now? 

Message 6 of 8
Piggington
Tutor

Now all ORBIs are running the same Firmware.

It seems that the extension cord, where the problematic satellite was getting its power, was flaky. By replacing the cord, I was able to update the firmware. 

Now both Orbi App and web page are correctly showing 2 satellites. Problem solved.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it running. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements