Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR 50 no internet connection

snes
Aspirant

Orbi RBR 50 no internet connection

I'm not abe to connect to the internet with my Orbi. I've browsed this forum and many others but so far none of the solutions provided worked for me. Here's my setup:

I'm connected to the internet (fiber) with a Draytek Vigor 2132FVn router. My ISP doesn't allow me to replace the Draytek with my own router, so I connected the Orbi to the Draytek. Just to be absolutely clear: an ethernet cable is plugged in one of the LAN ports of the Draytek and the WAN port of the Orbi.

I used the ethernet cable that came with the Orbi and also tried another cable that I know for a fact works.

I tried setting the Draytek into bridging modus, only to find out that my ISP disabled this.

I tried setting the Orbi in AP mode. Big mistake, now I couldn't even access it anymore via orbilogin.com / orbilogin.net / routerlogin.com. So I reset the Orbi.

Then I did a manual update of the firmware, hoping that would fix it. Nope.

After reading something about cloning the MAC address of your old router or a pc, although I didn't really understand what good it would do, I tried it anyway using the MAC address of the Draytek. To no avail.

During all this I rebooted the Draytek maybe 5 times, so I don't think that's the problem although my Orbi keeps insisting it is. And it doesn't seem to matter if the Draytek wifi is on or off.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it a lost cause because of my ISP's limitations?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
st_shaw
Master

If you must use the Draytek as the router, then you should run Orbi in AP mode.

The reason you could not connect to Orbi after changing to AP mode is twofold:

1) The IP address schema of Orbi changes the moment you activate AP mode. In router mode you access Orbi from the LAN subnet established by Orbi, usually 192.168.1.X.  After setting AP mode, this subnet no longer exists, and you must access the Orbi using the IP address assigned to Orbi by the Dratek DHCP server.

2) orbilogin.net is simply a DNS entry provided by the Orbi in router mode, and only works in router mode. When you changed to AP mode, Orbi is no longer your DNS

After setting AP mode, just log into the Draytek and lookup the Orbi IP address in the DHCP settings on the Draytek.  Log into Orbi using this IP address.  I assume this can be done on the Draytek. If not, then download and run an IP scanner like fing and lookup the Orbi's address.

Everything should work fine in AP mode. If the Draytek has WiFi you should turn it off though, so it doesn't interfere.

Message 2 of 8
snes
Aspirant

Thank you for replying.

I put the Orbi in AP mode and found the Draytek's DHCP table under Diagnostics, but none of those IPs lead to Orbi's login page. It's like the Draytek doesn't see the Orbi at all.

Message 3 of 8
st_shaw
Master

Several things could be going on.

Orbi should work in AP mode without you needing to log into it. If you cannot access the LAN or Internet, something else is wrong.

1) You need to make sure you connect the Yellow Internet port on Orbi to a LAN port on your Draytek router for AP mode to work.

2) When you set Orbi into AP mode, it is possible to assign a fixed IP address to Orbi.  I don't know if you did that, but that would prevent Orbi from obtaining an IP from the Draytek, and could cause AP mode not to function. When choosing AP mode, make sure you select "Get dynamically from existing router."  (You could also assign Orbi an address within the subnet used by Draytek, but outside the Draytek DHCP range, and that would work.)

Look on the bottom of the Orbi router.  There is a sticker there and a field labeled "MAC".  This is the MAC address of the Orbi router.  This should be listed in your Draytek DHCP listing.

Download Fing, and scan your network.  Look for the entries for the Orbi units. The Orbi router and Satelites will show up as "WPS Access Point, openwrt.org". Click on the line to verify the mac address of the Orbi router.

https://www.fing.io/download-free-ip-scanner-desktop-linux-windows-osx/

Message 4 of 8
snes
Aspirant

1) the Orbi and DrayTek are connected correctly

2) I didn't set a static IP for the Orbi

After using Fing I did find the IP of the Orbi, but only after scanning Orbi's network. Not on DrayTek's network. The Orbi's light is magenta.

What should be my next step?

Message 5 of 8
st_shaw
Master

Good.  I don't understand why Orbi is on a different network than Draytek though. If Orbi is set to AP mode, Orbi should optain an IP from the Draytek on the Draytek network. Orbi must be in router mode still.

Now that you have a way to find the Orbi IP address, you should be able to log into the Orbi router and set it to AP mode.

After Orbi reboots in AP mode, you should be able to run fing and find Orbi's new address on the Draytek network.

You should then be able to connect to Orbi's WiFI (or its wired ports) and access the network and the Internet.

You should disable the Draytek WiFi to avoide interference.

If Orbi does not obtain an IP address from the Draytek, or you cannot access the network via Orbi, then perhaps the Draytek is set to block access somehow.

Message 6 of 8
snes
Aspirant

@st_shaw wrote:

If Orbi does not obtain an IP address from the Draytek, or you cannot access the network via Orbi, then perhaps the Draytek is set to block access somehow.

I think this is the case. I checked and Orbi is in AP mode, but still doesn't have access to the internet. And I can't find Orbi when I scan Draytek's network with fing.

I'll look more into the Draytek's settings and see if I can do something about this. Next month I'm switching ISP so I can get rid of the Draytek and just use Orbi as a router. I'm positive that will be much easier.

Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 8
st_shaw
Master

Sorry it's still not working.  If the Draytek can assign addressess to other devices it should be able to give one to Orbi.  Weird.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7