Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR 50 with outdoor access point

rppt
Follower

Orbi RBR 50 with outdoor access point

My recent uprade to Orbi has created some network issues in my home and I could use some advice. My current setup includes an Arris modem/router all in one, provided by my ISP. The Orbi RBR50 is plugged into the Arris, creating the wifi network that I use throughout my home. Addtionally, I have an TP Link Outdoor Access Point, also plugged into the Arris, in order to provide wifi at my pool. Unfortunately, with my current setup, I cannot use the TP Link Access point to control my sonos system, as the two "networks" are secluded. I have no issues accessing the internet, but devices on the separate networks cannot see one another.

Unfortunatley, I am not able to plug the TP link access point into the Orbi router, as all ethernet cords run to my basement (where the Arris modem/router is located)

Can anybody provide some advice on how I can maintain the Orbi as the "primary router" on my network, but allow devices to communicate that are connected through the Arris/TP link network as well? My goal is to continue using the Orbi as the primary router for the network inside my home, rather than using the Orbi as just an access point through the arris.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR 50 with outdoor access point

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.The ISP modem would be your main router.

The addition of a non-managed LAN switch should be installed behind the Orbi router, then connect your LAN devices and connections to the switch along with the TP Link AP. If you set up the TP-Link AP on the same network and it gets it's IP address from the Orbi router, you should be able to get cross network shares and resources from anywhere on the network.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7