Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR 50

Nettyspaghetti
Follower

Orbi RBR 50

Hi
A quick question to anyone who can help. I have an orbi RBR 50 and satellite and wondered if I can add another satellite to it to boost my house WiFi signal I have had problems with my signal since virgin media changed to the super hubs and found it has improved with the orbi but I may need to reduce the distance between the existing satellite and router and therefore add another satellite. If I can add another satellite which one would be recommended

Cheers
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR 50

Yes you definitely can add another satellite if you're only running one. What one depends on your setup and what you're using it for.  this site breaks it down a little so you can see what specifics you need (extra backhaul speed, ethernet ports, etc)

https://www.tech21century.com/netgear-orbi-rbk30-vs-rbk40-vs-rbk50/

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@Nettyspaghetti wrote:
Hi
A quick question to anyone who can help. I have an orbi RBR 50 and satellite and wondered if I can add another satellite to it to boost my house WiFi signal I have had problems with my signal since virgin media changed to the super hubs and found it has improved with the orbi but I may need to reduce the distance between the existing satellite and router and therefore add another satellite. If I can add another satellite which one would be recommended

Cheers

Message 3 of 4
Chuck_M
Mentor

Short answer, Absolutely.

I have three satellites (RBS50s) in my house and they work superbly.

Another thing to think about is the associated backhaul -- e.g. how they connect back to the main router.  

The optimal solution is to hard wire them if possible to maximize speeds.  Of my three, I have two hardwired and the third uses RF to communicate back to the router.

See Orbi Network diagram below

Screenshot_20190319-152503_Orbi.jpg

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7