Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR 50v2 wont connect to new CM1200 modem

Sleepdoc502
Aspirant

Orbi RBR 50v2 wont connect to new CM1200 modem

I upgraded my cable modem from CM600 to CM1200, registered it with the cable company and it is connected to the internet and works fine. I connected the ORBI router to the modem but it cannot connect to the internet.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR 50v2 wont connect to new CM1200 modem

Be sure to connect the WAN port of the RBR to port #1 of the CM1200. Disable LAG on the CM1200 prior to connecting the RBR. 

Power OFF both CM and RBR for 30 seconds, then power ON the CM modem first and let it sync, then power ON the RBR. You might want to walk thru the setup wizard by doing a factory reset on the RBR and use a wired PC and web browser to walk thru the wizard. This will help you get the RBR connected and setup with the CM modem. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Do you have anything else plugged into the CM1200? it does have extra ethernet ports but they can't be used unless your isp allows multiple public ip addresses (most don't) or unless you have port aggregation (orbi doesn't). 

Did you try it in this order?

power off both devices.

plug in cm1200. give it several minutes.

hook up the orbi.

power on the orbi, give it a few minutes.

Then try it. 

So again, key is don't have anything other than orbi plugged into the cm1200. 

Message 3 of 6
Sleepdoc502
Aspirant

Thanks for your help.  I unplugged the other devices from the CM1200 and reset the ORBI.  It was able to connect to the internet, however i am still working ot connect the sattelites.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Sleepdoc502 wrote:

Thanks for your help.  I unplugged the other devices from the CM1200 and reset the ORBI.  It was able to connect to the internet, however i am still working ot connect the sattelites.

sorry didn't know you were having issues connecting the satellites. I'm glad to hear you resolved your issues with getting the orbi online though.

1. What firmware is on the router? And on the satellites?

2. Here's the install article for satellites with description of problems based off the led's. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31018/How-do-I-sync-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite

Tell me exactly where its failing, what the leds are doing, and what you've tried. this helps with troubleshooting. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The LAN ports on the back of the CM are not for additonal devices. You can connect up a LAG supporting router to Ports 1 and 2 if you enable Link Aggregation on the CM1200. Ports 3 and 4 are for static assigned IP WAN addresses from an ISP. In most cases these will never be used. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Sleepdoc502 wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7