Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR/RBS50 Firmware Updates problem

BruceGreen
Tutor

Orbi RBR/RBS50 Firmware Updates problem

Did the 2.1.4.16 firmware update last night and it showed an update for both the router and the satellite. After they were downloaded, I clicked on “update all” and they were updated. However after that, the router would operate sporadically and only a couple of minutes at a time. Also, the website showed no satellites connected. Is there any way to revert back to the previous version or correct the problem?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF both router and satellite for 30 seconds then back on? If this doesn't clear the problems, do a full ERASE on the router and satellite and set up from scratch. Do not load any saved configurations from file.

Message 2 of 15
BruceGreen
Tutor

Yes, I tried the reboot, with no help. Right now I am operating on an old Apple router just to get online. By doing an erase, do you mean resetting to factory with the reset button (7 seconds)?  If so, will that return it to the factory firmware version?  Also, do I do the same to the satellite?  As you can probably tell, I’m pretty ignorant about how these things work. 

Message 3 of 15
tucsontico
Virtuoso

From what I can gather, your firmware update may have been corrupted. It is best to do a factory reset and retry the firmware update. Please DO NOT use the "update all" option. ALWAYS update the satellite first, then the router. After the firmware update allow the ORBI some time to "settle" (about 5-10 minutes).

Also, I suggest your turn off all your connected devices until completing the firnware update and settling time. Turn them back on, one at a time, sarting with the devices you want to connected to the satellite. Another tip, and something that's worked well for me, is to make IP reservations for all your devices. Do that through the "Advanced" tab, then "Setup">"LAN Setup">"Address Reservations". You must specify an address range before assigning addresses. I suggest using a range that is 5 maore than the number of devices, e.g., if you have 25 devices, set a range that is 30 wide: 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.32.

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Hold the reset button for about 10-15 seconds, wait for the top led to turn on Amber. Then let go. 

As mentioned, you may have corrupt FW load and need to manually download FW files and manuall up date, start with the satellite first, then the router. Factory ERASE only clears user configurations, doesn't revert FW versions. 

@BruceGreen wrote:

Yes, I tried the reboot, with no help. Right now I am operating on an old Apple router just to get online. By doing an erase, do you mean resetting to factory with the reset button (7 seconds)?  If so, will that return it to the factory firmware version?  Also, do I do the same to the satellite?  As you can probably tell, I’m pretty ignorant about how these things work. 

Message 5 of 15
BruceGreen
Tutor

I’ve tried resetting the router and satellite several times and the results are always the same: router will put out a wireless signal for a couple of minutes, then blank for anywhere from 15 seconds to 5 minutes , then back on again. When I do manage to get online to the orbi login page, it shows only the router and not the satellite, and the 2.1.4.16 version still on it. I’ve tried every possible way shown in the manual to sync the two, and they WILL NOT sync. 

I’ve thought of downloading the files using the Apple router to do a manual update, but how can I apply them to the orbi without it being online?  Besides,, if the current .16 version is corrupted, would loading new ones on top even accomplish anything?  

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would either return the unit for another unit at the place of purchase, or contact NG support and ask for an RMA. 

Message 7 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So I have to ask....has anyone downloaded the latest FW update (16) and NOT had any problems?

Have they turned off the auto-update?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Working fine with my friends RBK50:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@Retired_Member wrote:

So I have to ask....has anyone downloaded the latest FW update (16) and NOT had any problems?

Have they turned off the auto-update?

Message 9 of 15
BruceGreen
Tutor

Final update:

after the better part of 3 days on the phone with netgear support I finally got an RMA number to return the router for replacement. Even returning the router to the previous firmware version did not correct the problem so they at last determined that it had failed and grudgingly offered to replace it. 

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad they are replacing it. Let us know how the new one works for you. I would not upgrade it after you get it set up. 

Message 11 of 15
radamchak
Guide

I get 50 to 60 Mbs with .16 but my LiftMaster garage door openers get dropped all the time. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you got the replacement and how it working for you...

@BruceGreen wrote:

Final update:

after the better part of 3 days on the phone with netgear support I finally got an RMA number to return the router for replacement. Even returning the router to the previous firmware version did not correct the problem so they at last determined that it had failed and grudgingly offered to replace it. 

Message 13 of 15
BruceGreen
Tutor

Received the replacement router, and it already had the -16 firmware installed, as did the satellite. Paired them up and they work fine. At least all the time spent on the phone turned out to be worth it. Thanks for all the help. 

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements