Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR/RBS50 Firmware Updates

RWCPacific
Guide

Orbi RBR/RBS50 Firmware Updates

Hi,

Does anyone have experienced problems downloading the latest Orbi Firmware 2.3.1.60?  I downloaded the firmware on my computer.  When I opened the downloaded folder, there are two files:  RBR50-V2.3.1.60 (disc image) and a release note file.  There is no executable file in the downloaded folder.

Does anyone know how to download the firmware properly?  Also, I had tried downloading the firmware using the iOS app but I kept getting the same undownloadable error message.

Thanks,

Peter

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR/RBS50 Firmware Updates

This is correct.  A manual Orbi firmware update involves two steps: (1) download the firmware file from Netgear and "extract" the .img file to some place on the hard drive where you can find it, and (2) go to the web interface of the Orbi, navigate to the Advanced Tab, Administration, Firmware Update, and select the Manual Update tab.  This will direct you to browse on the hard drive to the .img file.  The rest of the process is automatic.  Orbi uploads the .img file, performs the update, and reboots.

Many people take this opportunity to "clean out the cobwebs" once Orbi is on the latest release and perform a "factory reset".  People who have done a lot of customizing (assigning IP addresses, defining device names, etc. etc.) often prefer to "wait and see."  In other words, if the Orbi seems to work just fine on the new release, do not bother with a factory reset.

Message 2 of 9
RWCPacific
Guide

Hi CrimpOn,

Thank you for the advice.  But how do I change the disc burning location?  Right now it is set default to my DVR drive and I can't change it.  Netgear is making upgrade a lot more complicated.

Thanks,

Peter

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

When I get files from the internet, the box that pops up asks if I want to (1) Open the file with Windows Explorer, or (2) Save the file to disk.  I always click the button "Save to disk", which means the file gets download to my "Downloads" folder.  I've attached a screen shot of (a) the Netgear prompt for one of the two files (router & satellite are separate), and (b) where I change from "open" to "save."

I forgot to mention that the recommended practice is to update the satellite(s) first and then the router.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

@RWCPacific wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have experienced problems downloading the latest Orbi Firmware 2.3.1.60?  I downloaded the firmware on my computer.  When I opened the downloaded folder, there are two files:  RBR50-V2.3.1.60 (disc image) and a release note file.  There is no executable file in the downloaded folder.

Does anyone know how to download the firmware properly?  Also, I had tried downloading the firmware using the iOS app but I kept getting the same undownloadable error message.

Thanks,

Peter

Message 5 of 9
RWCPacific
Guide

Hi CrimpOn,

I should mention that I am using Windows 7.  When I was downloading the file, I did not get a prompt to where to save the file.  The downloaded folder is automatically saved to my download folder.  When I opened the folder, there are two files in the folder.  When I clicked on the disc image file, I am prompted to burn to a disc.  I've attached a screen shot of the process.  Please let me know what I am not doing right.

Thanks,

Peter

Message 6 of 9
RWCPacific
Guide

Hi Furry,

I have V2.3.1.44 installed.  I had also tried downloading using iOS app but also no success.

Thanks,

Peter

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just making sure you were not using old v1 FW. 

Yes just download the v60 FW files for the RBR and RBS, unpack the .zip file. Just use a web bowser and log into the RBR and use the FW update to manually select the .img or .chk files to send to the RBS first, then manually select the file for RBR lastly. Manual FW update is preferred. 

Message 8 of 9
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @RWCPacific

Were you able to update the firmware to 2.3.1.60. Here's the reference link of how you can manually update the firmware:  https://kb.netgear.com/31573/

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7