Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR10 / RBS10 - speed through satellites about 20% of router speed

CarmenS
Aspirant

Orbi RBR10 / RBS10 - speed through satellites about 20% of router speed

So, I've been reading many many threads on this topic, so I know this is an ongoing discussion, but I've yet to find any great solution to my problem.  If the answer is out there, please let me know, it's not for lack of trying.

Set up:

Router - RBR10

Satellites - RBS10  (three of them)

FW - 2.7.3.22

2 Story House.  Router is upstairs centrally located in a open Gameroom

3 Satellites downstairs spaced evenly through a couple of rooms

3200 sq house, about equal upstairs and down stairs

Daisy Chain - off

Beamforming - on

Mu-MIMO - on

CTS/RTS - 500

Issue - download speed at router (obviously wired) is 450MB

wirelessly connecting to any of the satellites will get me between 50 and 90 MB down using my iphone and speedtest

I did just unplug two of the sat's and have just one downstairs and I'm getting closer to a 100 down, which is better, but still not great.  my phone is now connected to the satellite and I'm downstairs with a couple of walls between me and sat.  standing next to it puts me around 180 down.

it appears I just had too many satellites for my space?  

Am I doing something wrong?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR10 / RBS10 - speed through satellites about 20% of router speed

WiFi coverage and speed is a really complicated topic.  The dual band "10" series Orbi's use the one 5G WiFi channel for both backhaul between router and satellites and connection to use devices. Every Speedtest data packet consumes radio time going from the router to satellite, then more radio time going from satellite to phone.  Anything happening with the other two satellites (even "beacon frames" and other management overhead) also consumes radio time.

That 866mbs speed described in the product literature only applies when two devices are (literally) right next to each other. WiFi performance falls off with distance and obstacles, such as walls and floors.  So, yes, in one sense having fewer satellites can improve performance.  5G WiFi is much more impacted by distance and obstacles than 2.4G.

Dimensions are also important. 1,600 sq. ft. could be a 40x40 square, or an 80x20 rectangle.  The square would probably do fine with a single satellite in the center.  The rectangle might be better off with two.  Three definitely seems overkill.

The 450mb wired baseline is useful, but another baseline would be to test the phone upstairs close to the router.  That is the absolute maximum the phone will ever achieve.  Compare satellite results against that benchmark.

The "10" series product was designed to compete head to head with other dual band systems where cost is an important consideration. When customers have 100mbs internet connections, that 5G bandwidth is probably more capacity than the customer can generate.

Reading this, I do not know if it adds anything you did not already know. (a) reduce the number of satellites, and (b) shorten the distances and obstacles as much as you can while covering the entire house with a good signal.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Try removing one or two RBS and test with just the other RBS...

Try setting CTS to 2347...

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

WiFi coverage and speed is a really complicated topic.  The dual band "10" series Orbi's use the one 5G WiFi channel for both backhaul between router and satellites and connection to use devices. Every Speedtest data packet consumes radio time going from the router to satellite, then more radio time going from satellite to phone.  Anything happening with the other two satellites (even "beacon frames" and other management overhead) also consumes radio time.

That 866mbs speed described in the product literature only applies when two devices are (literally) right next to each other. WiFi performance falls off with distance and obstacles, such as walls and floors.  So, yes, in one sense having fewer satellites can improve performance.  5G WiFi is much more impacted by distance and obstacles than 2.4G.

Dimensions are also important. 1,600 sq. ft. could be a 40x40 square, or an 80x20 rectangle.  The square would probably do fine with a single satellite in the center.  The rectangle might be better off with two.  Three definitely seems overkill.

The 450mb wired baseline is useful, but another baseline would be to test the phone upstairs close to the router.  That is the absolute maximum the phone will ever achieve.  Compare satellite results against that benchmark.

The "10" series product was designed to compete head to head with other dual band systems where cost is an important consideration. When customers have 100mbs internet connections, that 5G bandwidth is probably more capacity than the customer can generate.

Reading this, I do not know if it adds anything you did not already know. (a) reduce the number of satellites, and (b) shorten the distances and obstacles as much as you can while covering the entire house with a good signal.

Message 3 of 5
CarmenS
Aspirant

thank you Furry and CrimpOn

I just did a speedtest from my iphone standing next to the router and it's basically the same as the wired download speed.  So, that's my baseline.  I then walked downstairs to my office and it went to 70 down.  

So, it appears that having 3 sat's, (2 of of them very close.....too close to each other) was the main contributor.  I live in a 1999 suburban home that is a little 'boxy' and realize I have to manage the number of walls that are in communication path.  I also have a large backyard, which is one thing I was trying to solve for.

I do apprecaite that signal degradation will occur over distance and hops, I just didn't think it would be to degree that I'm experiencing.  So now it's just a matter of finding the right balance of satellites and locations (I'm currently limited on the location of the router, unless I run some ethernet cable through out my house, which is on my to-do list).  While I know there isn't some magical answer in the settings, you did confirm that I won't find the solution in advanced settings and I just need to keep working to find the optimal configuration.

Thank you again, this is the post that needs to be flagged on google.  could have saved myself a lot of time and effort.  

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7