Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi RBR20 Devices Connecting To Wrong Satillites ?

imacattack
Aspirant

I am having issues with devices not connecting to the proper Orbi Satillite most are connecting to the Router rather then connecting to the closest Satillite is there a way to move the device to there proper satillite for better stronger connection ?

It's running the latest firmware V2.7.3.22

I am using Apple OS for connection and setup of Orbi.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 Devices Connecting To Wrong Satillites ?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

it's up to devices ti pick and choose where they connect too. 

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@imacattack wrote:

I am having issues with devices not connecting to the proper Orbi Satillite most are connecting to the Router rather than connecting to the closest Satillite is there a way to move the device to the proper satillite for better stronger connection ?

The Orbi system has no mechanism to force a device to connect to a specific access point (router, satellite).

The 802.11 standards provide a framework for devices and access points to communicate their capabilities. The user device compares responses it gets and decides which access point it will use.  Here's a typical web page explaining the process:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/802.11_Association_Process_Explai... 

Notice how the device selects the access point it wants.

This issue of devices connecting where we damn well know they should not connect is one of the most frustrating aspects of mesh WiFi systems, certainly for the Orbi system.  There are some strategies that some people have reported trying:

• Reduce the Transmit Power of the entire system. Perhaps the device has a "threshold" value and considers any access point above that level suitable.  5G is very sensitive to distance.  Maybe reducing the Transmit Power will cause a satellite that is slightly closer to become more attractive.  (I have never tried this technique myself.  Tim the Toolman taught me "More Power.")
  • Ensure that the entire Orbi system is active before connecting the device.  There is a feeling that when power is applied, the Orbi router "wakes up" first and begins transmitting management frames before the satellites have completed their sync and begin transmittion.  If a device is awake and waiting for an access point it knows about to become available, it may 'latch onto' the router and then ignore the satellite which comes up later.

So, my suggestion is to go into the network settings of the device, "forget" the Orbi network, search for networks, enter the password, and see if it picks the satellite this time.  If you could try that and describe what happens, I would appreciate it.  (In my case, my Orbi and satellite are on UPS power, so temporary (short) power outages do not cause them to reboot.)

Message 3 of 9
imacattack
Aspirant

None of those solutions work at all.

I have devices connecting to a satillite on the other side of the house and vice versa and some straight to the Orbi router.

Netgear needs to look into this so you can select a device and make it connect to the correct satelillite.

PS. there is no power option ????

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@imacattack wrote:

Transmit Power is on the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net), on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, WiFi Settings.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I meantioned this in my responce...

@imacattack wrote:

None of those solutions work at all.

I have devices connecting to a satillite on the other side of the house and vice versa and some straight to the Orbi router.

Netgear needs to look into this so you can select a device and make it connect to the correct satelillite.

Message 6 of 9
imacattack
Aspirant

????????

Message 7 of 9
imacattack
Aspirant

On another note I can not access the Orbi via the web browser as it will only connect me to my X500 Gamer Router ??? can only use the App.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using two routers on the same line? 

Message 9 of 9