Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 Dropping Wi-Fi Network Coverage

Chydroski
Tutor

Orbi RBR20 Dropping Wi-Fi Network Coverage

Hi everyone. I’ve seen similar posts but never an actual solution to this problem.

I’m running an RBR20, and 2 RBS20 satellites. All 3 with the latest firmware. I’ve replaced the modem, I’ve got a replacement Orbi system (hoping my previous was a hardware issue), and I’ve spent several cumulative hours on the phone with NETGEAR Support who were absolutely no help... so the community is my last hope before I just give up on the Orbi.

My problem is simple, sporadically (I just went 2 days without it happening at all) the Wi-Fi network will completely disappear, disconnecting both satellites and all devices from the router. The router doesn’t change colors or do anything, but the Wi-Fi network completely disappears for random times. Sometimes 10-30seconds before reappearing and reconnecting everything. Let me be clear, it’s not an issue with internet connectivity. The modem is getting internet, and the router isn’t changing color (like it would if I unplugged the Ethernet). Some days it will do this 15-20 times and then stabilize and work great for several hours, before throwing a fit again.

Please help...

Thank you.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 Dropping Wi-Fi Network Coverage

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 16
Chydroski
Tutor

Understanding I’ve seen this “copy-paste” questionnaire all over the forums, I’ll play along. Also acknowledging that I’ve tried all the advanced settings you mentioned already.

Modem: Netgear Nighthawk CM1200
Orbi is in Router mode
2400sq ft with the satellite and router roughly 25ft apart
And I’ve already set the frequency channels and other advanced settings below.

Let me reiterate that it’s not a connection quality issue with my devices or satellites. When they are connected, they work great. The issue is that the entire network (even trying to detect it) disappears sporadically, dropping all devices when it does.
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for playing since we don't know what you have tried or what your configuration is, I ask these questions. Helps us to know what you have configured. Not everyone as the same configuration. 

"2400sq ft with the satellite and router roughly 25ft apart" a bit too close. 30 feet  or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

If your turn OFF the RBS, is wifi stable? 

Message 4 of 16
Chydroski
Tutor

Absolutely. That’s understandable.

I have had the same exact issue with both of the RBS powered off and not connected to the RBR.

I’ve also done a factory reset, booted up only the RBR and sat in the same room while this has happened. Essentially, the Wi-Fi network just toggles randomly between being available and not being available, kicking me and every device off the network whenever it toggles.
Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. If this doesn't change anything on the RBR, I would contact NG support. 

Message 6 of 16
Chydroski
Tutor

Yeahhhh... that’s my problem. I’ve done a factory reset, I even replaced my previous Orbi system for a brand new one, and I’m having the same issue.

I’ve contacted NG Support on 3 separate occasions but when I try to speak with them, no one seems to understand my problem, so I figured I’d try the community forums. Thanks for trying to help 🙂
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe environment cause possibly.

Any devices you have that have there own wifi broadcast by chance? 

What devices do you have all connected to the Orbi system?

Message 8 of 16
Chydroski
Tutor

That’s what I’ve been trying to rule out, going as far to change power outlets, house location, etc.

I can only pick up 4 other Wi-Fi network signals at my house. So a couple of neighbors. They are not very close to me. I do not have anything else generating a Wi-Fi signal in the house.

I’ve got the 2 RBS, 2 laptops, 2 phones, a desktop, and a doorbell camera on the Wi-Fi, however, this behavior happened long before I had several of those devices on the network. I can’t seem to find a rhyme or reason as to why it started happening/happens randomly.
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Where in the home do you have the RBR and RBS placed? 

Is this a one level home or multi story? Any basements? 

Do you have your prior router by chance? Did this happen with that router? 

Message 10 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Chydroski wrote:
Understanding I’ve seen this “copy-paste” questionnaire all over the forums, I’ll play along.

The sad part is that it's all from the same person Smiley Sad
Message 11 of 16
Chydroski
Tutor

The RBR is placed on the main floor and the RBS are placed upstairs.

Do you mean my router previous to me getting the Orbi system? Yes I do, and no, this issue did not happen with that router. The issue was that the single router was not good enough to cover the entire top floor, which is why I wanted to get the Orbi mesh system in the first place.
Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Last system was  20 series Orbi? Not sure if a 50 series system would have different behavior or not. 

Seems like the 20 series isn't working well in your home. Most materials of mostly wood and sheet rock or something else? 

Message 13 of 16
Chydroski
Tutor

If it were just the RBS dropping offline, I potentially would agree with you. But I’ve sat in the same room as the RBR, with phone and laptop, with full strength Wi-Fi signal, everything working completely fine.. and then within the span of 5 minutes, the Wi-Fi network disconnects and reconnects (I.e. completely disappearing) 5-10 times. So that issue would have nothing to do with the building materials of my home.
Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try a 50 series system to see if this has any changes in behavior then. 

Message 15 of 16
Chydroski
Tutor

Thanks for trying to help.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements