Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 Ethernet Backhaul

fiddickc
Follower

Orbi RBR20 Ethernet Backhaul

Hi All,

I've been trying to get Ethernet Backhaul working on my Orbi RBR20 / RBS20 setup. I have the one base and three satellites. One of my satellites is located in my garage which is starting to push the WIFI signal strength (also it is a metal colourbond cladded garage so think Farady cage). While the link does work I'm sure it could be better.

If I can get the ethernet backhaul working does this mean that the wireless signal strength isn't really a problem then since the satellite would communicate over Cat5 to the base instead? - and then it is basically only the wireless devices (Google Home, phones, etc) would use the satellites WIFI signal in the garage itself? 

I'm thinking this is how it will work!! If so, I definitely need to get this working!!

If it doesn't work like this then I'm going to have think of another idea.

Thanks

Craig

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
LoboTommy
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBR20 Ethernet Backhaul

I wish you all but luck. I have been fighting with the same setup with 3 rbs20 satelites and a rbr20 since November 2018. It's a constant dogfight to keep the network up and running. Spending over $400 on a mesh system, it should be simply plug and play, but you apparently need a tech-degree in advanced computing science as well as a masters degree from Hogwarth to keep this system in a semi stable mode...
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Ensure ALL LAN cabling is of good working quality. CAT6 is recommended.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Daisy Chain needs to be disabled if using ethernet back haul. 

@fiddickc wrote:

Hi All,

I've been trying to get Ethernet Backhaul working on my Orbi RBR20 / RBS20 setup. I have the one base and three satellites. One of my satellites is located in my garage which is starting to push the WIFI signal strength (also it is a metal colourbond cladded garage so think Farady cage). While the link does work I'm sure it could be better.

If I can get the ethernet backhaul working does this mean that the wireless signal strength isn't really a problem then since the satellite would communicate over Cat5 to the base instead? - and then it is basically only the wireless devices (Google Home, phones, etc) would use the satellites WIFI signal in the garage itself? 

I'm thinking this is how it will work!! If so, I definitely need to get this working!!

If it doesn't work like this then I'm going to have think of another idea.

Thanks

Craig

Message 3 of 7
altern8
Aspirant

im with you, i have just one router and one satellite setup in AP and i can't for the life of me get ethernet backhaul setup (everytime i plug it in, the entire network comes crashing down).  i have try everything mentioned in the forum to no avail.  i have come to accept it isnt in the cards for me and use 5G backhaul as that is my only option.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Try this, disconnect the main network or ALL other network devices from the RBR accept for 1 wired PC. Enusre Daisy Chain is disabled on the RBR. Then with the RBS in the same room as the RBR, connect the RBS via wireless or just power it up say 6 feet away from the RBR. Have a LAN patch cable ready. After the RBS is connected and its top ring LED turns OFF, connect the LAN cable between the RBR and RBS. The top ring LED should start to pulsate WHITE on the RBS. Give about 5 minutes. The LED should turn BLUE. Then go OFF. 

IF this happens, go in and do a IP address reservation ON the RBR for the RBS. Save and apply the change. 

If you can get this far. Turn OFF the RBS and place it back into it's remote location. Ensure the LAN connection between the remote location and RBR is connected now. Turn ON the RBS. Give a few minutes. Should see White, Blue the OFF on the top ring LED. 

Let us know if you get to this point. IF you do, connec the rest of your devices. 

What LAN devices do you have connected normally to the RBR? 

Message 5 of 7
altern8
Aspirant

Thank you for the info.  One thing that has always confused me is which port to use when connecting the router and satellite. Right now, all network runs terminate to a single switch in the basement and the switch he router (3rd party) is plugged into the same switch.  I have seen recommendations to plug the network jack not into the INTERNET (yellow) port but the ethernet port on the Orbi router since it s acting as a AP.  All documentation that I found reference RBR40 and not the RBR20 which is what I have. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe either Yellow or LAN port will work in AP mode. You may see the top LED ring light ON all the time if the LAN port is used. 

@altern8 wrote:

Thank you for the info.  One thing that has always confused me is which port to use when connecting the router and satellite. Right now, all network runs terminate to a single switch in the basement and the switch he router (3rd party) is plugged into the same switch.  I have seen recommendations to plug the network jack not into the INTERNET (yellow) port but the ethernet port on the Orbi router since it s acting as a AP.  All documentation that I found reference RBR40 and not the RBR20 which is what I have. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7