Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 General Query

bktyee
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 General Query

Hi,

I just have a query the answer which I have not been able to find in previous postings.

All documentation said to connect the modem (in my case Virgin Media SuperHub 3) to the yellow internet port on the Orbi router. My router is also connected to a switch for wired ethernet around the house.

It's working fine but I would like to know if it is possible to connect the router and the modem to the switch i.e. modem is not connected directly to the Orbi router? I wanted to do this because I would like the modem and router to be in different locations (but linked via the switch).

Is that possible/advisable?

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 General Query

@bktyee wrote:

It's working fine but I would like to know if it is possible to connect the router and the modem to the switch i.e. modem is not connected directly to the Orbi router?

My guess is that this is not going to work, although to be honest I am unable to set up an experiment to verify my conclusions.  If the modem is truly a "modem", i.e. not a "router", then the Orbi is providing IP addresses to devices around the house via DHCP.  I do not think the Orbi expects to be receiving DHCP requests through the WAN port, and thus devices attached to the switch would be assigned IP's.  It's pretty easy to test

Message 2 of 5
bktyee
Aspirant

Thanks for your response CrimpOn.

I think I am inclined to agree with you.

I could easily just try it out of course but it had taken me quite a long time to get my VM broadband to be trouble free and I didn't want to muck about with it 🙂

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 5

The place for a switch is "downwind" of the router.

-> Modem -> Orbi Router -> Switch

That's how I have it. But mine is a dumb switch with nothing clever going on.

If you have a router before the switch, , the Virgin box for example, this would work

-> Modem/router -> Switch in AP mode -> Orbi Router

You could use Powerline Ethernet in that scenario. I do.

-> Modem/router -> Switch in AP mode -> Powerline -> Orbi Router

Message 4 of 5
bktyee
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply Michael,

I have a "dumb" switch too. The Virgin Superhub 3 is used as a modem (router disabled). The ORBI is the router and DHCP server.

I think I don't have much of a choice here, the superhub will need to connect directly to the WAN port on the ORBI Smiley Sad

Thanks again.

B

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7