Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 IGMP proxy behavior

Surffa
Apprentice

Orbi RBR20 IGMP proxy behavior

Hi

I've been now debugging my IPTV device problems on Orbi for quite some time, with couple of past firmware versions without any clear difference.

Now how it seems to me, is that the IGMP proxy doesn't somehow behave properly. No matter what the setting is, Auto, or IGMPv3, the router seems to fall back to IGMPv2 when certain IGMPv2 speaking devices are turned on and connected to network.

Honestly, I don't know the RFC that well, maybe it is desired functionality, but somehow I'd expect the "IGMPv3" setting to stay in the v3 and never fall back to v2 in any case.

Additionally, I seem to have multiple IGMPv2 devices, but not all of them trigger the Orbi to fall back from v3 to v2. Especially it seems that certain Print Services on my HP Laser multipurpose device immediately cause the Orbi to fall back to v2. I managed to disable a few of them, but sooner or later the Orbi will still fall back to v2 and that I haven't been able to identify anymore, as it's so random.

Anyway, does someone know the IGMP RFCs that well, or the Orbi implementation to explain, why IGMPv3 setting on Orbi doesn't force the router to stay in IGMPv3? Is that really expected? Auto probably will fall back if needed, but is the plain IGMPv3 supposed to do that as well?

Thanks.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 IGMP proxy behavior

What happens if you disable IGMP on the RBR? 

Something you might contact NG support and and have them review this...

Message 2 of 6
Surffa
Apprentice

Disabling IGMP seems to work as I would expect. Membership queries stop coming and Multicast traffic stops pretty much immediately.

Just for notion. I'm running a real packet capture to do the Diagnosis, so I feel fairly accurate with my analysis so far..

But all right, let me contact the support directly. I have a feeling that IGMPv3 setting is not quite working..

Message 3 of 6
Surffa
Apprentice

Or probably I don't. My device is long past the complimentary support period and I'm not willing to pay anything for this.

I really can't figure out how to contact support or file potential bug reports. Hmh. Weird policy if you ask me..

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, sounds like something NG support needs to collect debug logs from you and get engineering to have a look. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 5 of 6
Surffa
Apprentice

Looks like something has changed in the behaviour since the last post.

At the moment I've been unable to reproduce this behaviour anymore and IPTV has worked fine for some weeks now.

That being said, it only works in router mode, if I run it behind a NAT, but setting Orbi as exposed host. I tried running PPPoE from Orbi as well, but in that use case the Orbi literally seems to crap in pants as soon as Multicast traffic starts to flow.. All devices start slowing down and dropping from the internet. I checked the debug page of the Orbi and loads are constantly between 60 and 100. Without PPPoE it runs around 30 iirc.

It's sort of ok now, but it's hard to see why Orbi as exposed host doesn't suffer from same symptoms. And running double NAT is far from a good idea.

AP mode always worked well, but that disables most of Orbi features. This all in VDSL network of Deutsche Telekom.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7