Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR20 Keeps Rebooting

LARRYSTIT
Tutor

Orbi RBR20 Keeps Rebooting

I recently bought and installed an Orbi RBR20 Router with 1 satellite, and updated to newest firmware v2.3.5.26 .

It was working fine for about week. But now the router is randomly rebooting itself (wifi signal disappears from router but not satellite, hardwired connections report no connection DNS errors, power cycles through the router). The reboots seem totally random, sometimes every 30 minutes, sometimes not for hours. Each reboot last 30 seconds to 1 minute. Usually everything comes back online, wifi signal reappears and hardwired computer connects. So far I've had to hard power cycle the router only once after a reboot that failed to come back online.

I've done a bunch of research on these forums and I've found two threads that match almost exactly my problem:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK50-keeps-rebooting/td-p/1414120

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-keeps-rebooting-several-times-a-day-even-with-new-firmwar...

Its clear this is not an internet connectivity issue or just a wifi interference issue. The actual router is powering off and powering on at random intervals.

What could be causing this? Any solutions?

Thanks for any help, Larry

Message 1 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 31
LARRYSTIT
Tutor

I'm not sure of my modem, I don't have ccess to it, in landlords area of the building.

House is 2300 sq feet

Satellite was 30 feet away.

No wifi neighbors around.

I Factory reset then did all the things you suggested.

Channel on 1 for 2.4 and 40 for 5

I've enabled Beamforming, MIMO and WMM. I've disabled Armor, Circle, DaiseyChain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and I've set the 20/40 to 40 only.

Then I rebooted everything.

At first this caused the system to reboot everytime someone connected to the satellite.  After unplugging the satellite I had good connection and no reboot problems for 18 hours (longest yet since problem began.)

Now I've had 2 reboots again in the last 2 hours.  So back to the same problem.

Message 3 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

So your landlord runs you a cable from his modem or router? 

Would need to know if his modem has a built in router or not or if he runs your service from a router. What IP address are you seeing on the RBRs WAN internet port with in the RBRs web page? Under Advanced Tab.

Possible bad connection with what ever is in front of the RBR. 

If you turn OFF the RBS, just run the RBR alone, does it still reboot? 

When you saw the 2 reboots, was the RBS ON or OFF? 

Message 4 of 31
LARRYSTIT
Tutor

The modem is a NanoStation M5 5ghz indoor/outdoor airMax 16dBi CPE

Its just a modem not a router, my Orbi is the only thing plugged into the modem.

My router IP address is 192.168.1.1
My internet port IP address is 192.168.198.216
My IP subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
My domain name server is 192.168.198.1

My RTS satellite is unplugged. Crashes continue to happen with only the RTR running.
Message 5 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you configure the RBR for AP mode? 

Message 6 of 31
LARRYSTIT
Tutor

I tried that earlier.

The internet went out every 30 seconds or so. The SSID is still active and my devices stay connected but they all say no internet connection (as opposed to the reboot problem that makes the SSID disappear from all my devices until the reboot finishes).

Then the internet is back on for the devices for another 30 seconds or so before going back offline over and over again.

This happened with the old settings and the satellite plugged in.

Just put it in AP mode now with the new settings from the first post and no RTS and it's stable for now. I'll report if i get a reboot crash in the next 24 hours.
Message 7 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like there maybe a problem or compatibility issue between the RBR and this ISP modem. 

Message 8 of 31
LARRYSTIT
Tutor

"Sounds like there maybe a problem or compatibility issue between the RBR and this ISP modem. "

...and?

Orbi doesn't work with certain modems? Causing it to reboot whenever it wants to? Note the two links i posted in my first post that go to other users identical problems. Something is causing a crash that is rebooting the router.

Back to AP mode, so far no random crashes but i did have a minor authentication crash on all devices when I connected a new device. Not sure if it caused a full reboot or just a lack of internet momentarily.
Message 9 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Well there is a router infront of the RBR so this maybe an issue. Since AP mode is working better for you, possible a reason why router mode doesn't. 

Message 10 of 31
LARRYSTIT
Tutor

It's the power supply thats causing the Orbi router to trip and restart.  Any tiny fluxuation in the power supply causes the router to reboot itself.

I moved the router to a new location (after getting a new antenna modem and trying different configurations to no avail).  From my kitchen table I can see the router flicker and turn purple on top every time the refrigerator compresser comes on and the lights dim just for a second.

I tried getting a voltage regulator for the router but the power fluxations even through a regulator were still enough to trip the Orbi router.

My old routers have had no problems, with or without the regulator.  But this router is too fragile and finicky to handle even the slightiest power fluxations and maintain a stable connection.

I imagine this may be what the other two users who I linked in my first post may have encountered too as both of their problems remained unsolved.  The only responses from Netgear always focused on internet connectivity and wifi interference despite all three of us reapeatedly saying there was nothing to that effect that should be causing the router to physically reboot.

Bottom line is this router is a brick to me and probably anyone else who has an old electric grid in their house.

Message 11 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Find a new power supply on Amazon. 

Maybe a power conditioner would help. 

Message 12 of 31
Amdahl
Tutor

Similar Problem-

Brand new out the box Orbi RBR20 - keeps rebooting intermitently, the Router restarts. I did have a Wifi  device that kept trying to connect(GE CONNECTPLUS WIFI MODULE) , have removed that and not seen this again (yet!).

Serial 5eh68c5e10dd0

Firmware - 2.3.5.26

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset. Hold the reset button for 15 seconds the let go. Walk thru the set wizard with a wired PC. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the RBR is connected too? 

Please don't post the serial numbers of your Orbi systems. 

@Amdahl wrote:

Similar Problem-

Brand new out the box Orbi RBR20 - keeps rebooting intermitently, the Router restarts. I did have a Wifi  device that kept trying to connect(GE CONNECTPLUS WIFI MODULE) , have removed that and not seen this again (yet!).

Serial 5eh68c5e10dd0

Firmware - 2.3.5.26

Message 14 of 31
Techieforhire
Aspirant

This product is about as frustrating as they come. I had the ISP set our cable modem to bridged mode so the Orbi could act as a router and the network stability was terrible. It was constantly dropping connections and resetting them.  We decided to put the cable modem back into routed mode and use the Orbi as an AP.  This was no better for wireless clients. We brought the Orbi upstairs to be closer to the Satellite and although it shows the status from the web interface (and app) as good with a good backhaul status the Orbi shows as purple connection status between it and the satellite.

Still wireless clients only stay connected to it for a maximum of two minutes however my laptop connected to the passthrough Ethernet connection CAN surf and stay connected so the issue is not with the Internet connection.  I am not sure if there is something askew with its auto selection of 2.4 Ghz wireless channel that causes it to kick everyone when it decides to look for a less saturated channel constantly but suffice to say I have never had issues like this with any other wireless product including mesh offerings from other manufacturers.

Message 15 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

RBS wireless or wire connected to the RBR? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Be sure your modem routers wifi is disabled fully if it's in router mode.

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Be sure to read option #2...

@Techieforhire wrote:

This product is about as frustrating as they come. I had the ISP set our cable modem to bridged mode so the Orbi could act as a router and the network stability was terrible. It was constantly dropping connections and resetting them.  We decided to put the cable modem back into routed mode and use the Orbi as an AP.  This was no better for wireless clients. We brought the Orbi upstairs to be closer to the Satellite and although it shows the status from the web interface (and app) as good with a good backhaul status the Orbi shows as purple connection status between it and the satellite.

Still wireless clients only stay connected to it for a maximum of two minutes however my laptop connected to the passthrough Ethernet connection CAN surf and stay connected so the issue is not with the Internet connection.  I am not sure if there is something askew with its auto selection of 2.4 Ghz wireless channel that causes it to kick everyone when it decides to look for a less saturated channel constantly but suffice to say I have never had issues like this with any other wireless product including mesh offerings from other manufacturers.

Message 16 of 31
Amdahl
Tutor

Router Firmware Version
V2.3.5.30

After updates and checking, basically the power supply/ router cannot tolerate any kind of power frequency issues. I spent months now (bought in Jan, now end of April) chasing this, finally i got out my plain old Belkin power strip with UPS and the router has not rebooted in several days, vs multiple times a day.

This can be seen on the  hidden page;

http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm

Where it shows uptime in Days/hours/mins/seconds.

So, IMHO pending your poison it looks like this resolves this for me  with a low cost UPS power strip of your choice, make sure it has the following;

Not an endorsement,  but what seems to resolve  my  constant reboots...

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-BE106000-06/

PROTECTS AGAINST SPIKES AND FLUCTUATIONS

With a maximum spike amperage of 48,000 amps, the Belkin 6-Outlet Surge Protector prevents power spikes or storms from damaging your valuable devices. Intelligent circuitry with built-in voltage sensing detects and responds to your device's power needs, while safety features ensure that your devices are protected. Simply plug the surge protector into any AC wall outlet and connect your device to keep it safe from surges, lightning strikes, and AC contamination.

REDUCED ELECTROMAGNETIC INTERFERENCE

This surge protector's essential power filtration is up to 43 dB, reducing electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI), blocking unwanted line noise, and ensuring better performance of your protected equipment. It also helps prevent equipment lockup.

Message 17 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try v16 FW as well. 

Bad power supplies can cuase problems as well. 

Message 18 of 31
fmalloy
Luminary

I am having the exact same problem with a days-old RBR20 - spontaneous rebooting of the router. Could it really be sensitivity to the line voltage? I'm in a relatively new house, and haven't seen the lights flicker or any other sign of spikes or sags.

I guess I'll try swapping one of the satellite power bricks with the router.

I upgraded to Orbi from a very unreliable Nighthawk R7000 but decided to give Netgear another chance. Very disappointing...

Message 19 of 31
CrimpOn
Guru

Power fluxuations used to bother me until I purchased a substantial UPS for my "office" (modem, Orbi, switch, desktop computer) and small UPS for my Orbi satellite and Tivo (being Linux, the Tivo takes forever to restart after a power outage).

Besides being a "good practice", UPS would also rule out power "fluxuations" as a cause of the problem.

Message 20 of 31
fmalloy
Luminary

To be straight - you shouldn't need to buy a UPS for a router. It should be designed to handle minor power-line fluctuations without rebooting. I have many devices plugged in - computers, TVs, and other electronic devices that don't have such problems with the power. I could understand it if rebooted say, during an electrical storm, but we have very stable power here where I live.

Message 21 of 31
CrimpOn
Guru

@fmalloy wrote:

To be straight - you shouldn't need to buy a UPS for a router.

I agree, electrical devices should withstand power interruptions, spikes, etc.  There have been a number of posts in the past few months stating, "had a power outage and my Orbi is now DEAD, and out of warranty."  When our power goes "blip" and we have to go around and reset every electric clock in the house (oven, microwave, refrigerator, bedside, etc. etc.), the Tivo says, "Just a few minutes more", I got tired of it really quickly.

The question was "could power fluxuations be causing this"?  My answer is, "probably not, but you can eliminate that as a possibility by using a UPS."

Message 22 of 31
fmalloy
Luminary

Sure, I understand your point. In my case, I've never had a computer, clock, or any other electronic device reset or hang up. Our power here is very stable, and we never have electrical storms.  I'm in a modern home and the lights never flicker.

I have an old Apple AirPort Extreme power supply - 12V with the same connector. It has a better amperage rating (1.8A vs. 1.5A) and the same polarity. The power brick looks beefier and a better quality and may have cleaner, more stable output voltage. I am going to try that and see if it improves things. 

A well-designed, quality power supply should have enough filtering and capacitance to handle minor fluctuations. Perhaps Netgear is shipping power warts that just barely provide enough voltage.

Message 23 of 31
fmalloy
Luminary

With the substituted power brick (borrowed irom an Apple AirPort Extreme) the router has gone 24 hours without a spontaneous reboot.

The Apple AirPort Extreme power supply seems beefier and better made. It also has a slightly better current rating. No surprise - it's Apple.

Message 24 of 31
fmalloy
Luminary

Well, after about 25 hours with the substituted power supply, the router rebooted itself again. It's going back. I'm tired of debugging Netgear's products for them.

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7