Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 Losing Configuration

sjayt
Guide

Orbi RBR20 Losing Configuration

About once a month, for the last three months, including this morning, I lose my internet connection on all devices. It's working one day, and during the night, it goes out (I'm woken by the lights on the satellite in my bedroom. 

Each time I've gone through the same drill. First I check the ORBI app on my phone, and it asks me to login. It doesn't like my password, so I try the default password, and it logs me in.  The router acts as if it's never been set up - losing the admin password I had set, the wifi network name, names of the three satellites, passwords, everything.

If I bypass the ORBI router and connect a laptop directly to the cable modem I determine that my Internet connection is fine.

I'm forced to go through the setup procedure again. Then it works.

I've tried just restarting the router, but that doesn't work - only going through the setup wizard, on a computer connected by ethernet, will let me get going again. Any idea why this is happening? Could I have a bad router? Firmware says it's on the latest version on all of the units.

Message 1 of 84

Accepted Solutions
sjayt
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR20 Losing Configuration

OP here. 

This weekend I took the advice of this thread and things I had learned, and have resolved the issue.

1) I didn't use the mobile app. I used an ethernet connected PC, and using Firefox, I connected to orbilogin.com. I had wasted lots of time at the beginning of this trying to use Chrome - which refuses to login correctly, and had to find in a forum that Chrome doesn't work. Would be nice if NG would fix that BUG.

2) I downloaded both of the new .48 firmware zip files (one for the Satellites, one for the router) and extracted the .img files).

3) I installed the satellite firmware updates first. Tedious doing three separate installs, but no problems.

4) I installed the router firmware update. No problems. I downloaded a backup config after all the updates for safekeeping.

After restarting everything, it all works. No issues at all. In fact I'm getting better connection on one of the daisy-chained satellites than before the update.

I'm ready to call this case closed. Thanks all.

View solution in original post

Message 74 of 84

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 3 of 84
sjayt
Guide

One RBR20, 3 RBS20's

Firmware 2.3.1.44 (all devices)

ISP modem is an Arris TS1602

Home size is 2088 sq ft, one satellite is in a separate shop. Closest satellite is about 25 feet, but it's got two walls between it and the router.

I have no control over the specific channels - it auto connects on either 2.4 or 5 Ghz, but I see no way to manually select a specific channel. No wifi neighbors - clean spectrum, I live in the country. The problem isn't just with wifi - even the ethernet connected laptop can't connect to the internet until I go through the configuration all over again. 

Message 4 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

v44 should not be on your 20 series system i think. Unless you updated via AutoUpdate? 

v28 is most current on the NG download site. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#download

You sure this is a 20 series Orbi system? Lets confirm model # please.

Message 5 of 84
sjayt
Guide

I've only used the auto-update, never a manual firmware update. It's DEFINITELY and RBR20

PNG image.png

Message 6 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I guess NG is pushing v44 to the 20 series now. 

I would do a factory reset and setup from scratch, using a wire connected PC and web browser. Set up and after all it set, do a back up of the configuration to file. 

Hopefully NG will post the v44 files so you could do a full re-load of v44 using a wire connected PC and reset. Untill then, see if the above helps.

Message 7 of 84
Phardy
Guide

My RBR20 repeatedly loses all my WiFi configuration settings. Worked perfectly for months, now, as of last few days, I can save the settings, but rebooting the router causes the router WiFi settings to default to the original settings.
My router is the RBR20 with 1 satellite.
Firmware version is 2.2.1.210
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a FW update to v44 if you see it in the auto update on the routers web page. If thats not available, update to v28 which the files are available for download on NG support page. Factor reset after updating and setup from scratch. 

@Phardy wrote:
My RBR20 repeatedly loses all my WiFi configuration settings. Worked perfectly for months, now, as of last few days, I can save the settings, but rebooting the router causes the router WiFi settings to default to the original settings.
My router is the RBR20 with 1 satellite.
Firmware version is 2.2.1.210

Message 9 of 84
Steve_Hil
Tutor

I recently started having the same issue with an RBK20W kit (RBR20 Router + RBW30 Satellite).

The units had run great for several months, but then on 3/16, and again on 3/26, it tossed out the config and reset to defaults.

It also just happened again, tonight - 3/29.

I don't recall what firmware was on it, out of the box, but it had auto-updated to V2.2.1.210, a few months back.

The Orbi itself, while configured, will not see any new firmware available, so my next step is to manually update it, and get off V2.2.1.210 firmware.

As an earlier response commented, I'm not sure how/where the OP got the .44 firmware.

On the D/L pages, the available firmware is:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#download - RBR20 Firmware Version 2.3.0.28 Download File size: 28.4 MB
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBW30.aspx#download - RBW30 Firmware Version 2.3.0.4 Download File size: 18.5 MB

The devices are not in my home, but a friend's condo. I won't be able to report on any results until I'm there, tomorrow.

Other than a possible firmware issue, the only other long-shot idea I have at the moment, is to plug the base router into a better quality surge protector, rather than the cheap power-strip it's in, now. A good APC unit will provide power conditioning, as well as surge protection. It's not common, but I have seen small surges blow out saved device configs.

The router is plugged into a VZW FIOS small indoor ONT - Image @ https://bit.ly/2uzgtkv - whilch I'll also be plugging into the APC.

Unfortunately.. Orbi, like most home/SoHo routers, is utterly useless at keeping quality logs, has zero SNMP tools, and since this issue causes a full reset, any on-unit logs, are wiped out.

So, it's a bit of a crap-shoot.

Message 10 of 84
ekhalil
Master

The router should not reset itself to default settings.

Likely, you have a poor password and someone is just playing with you! Please make sure to have a stronger admin password.

If I check my Logs, I see hundreds of remote login trials daily.

Message 11 of 84
Phardy
Guide

Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree, the router should not reset to default settings on its own. It only happens when there is a loss of power or if I reboot the Orbi. I had a strong password, and have taken the precaution of changing it and also enabled 2 layer authentication- but the router still continues to lose its settings on reboot and several devices are having issues connecting to the internet. I’ve been working on this problem strictly through the app and remotely as I’ve been out or town. Now that I’m back, I’m going to see if a factory reset fixes this issue, if not, then I’m going to manually update the firmware (currently at 2.2.1.210) - Netgear support shows a more recent version is available. (2.3.1.44), that for some reason is being auto updated. If this doesn’t work, not sure what I’ll do next. This has been a great system since I installed it, except for this issue that cropped up in the last few days.
Message 12 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Besure to factory reset after upgrading FW and setup from scratch. Once all has been setup and is working. Do a BACKUP of the configuration to file for save keeping. Try a power cycle or reboot of the system to see if the configuration persists or resets back to default settings. If it does, I recommend you file a support ticket and notify NG about this issue. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 13 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Bv44 has not been offically released for download. I believe v44 is coming thru the auto update feature on the routers web page.

If you don't see it there with current FW, means you may need to update to v28 first, then v44 may appear. 

Besure to factory reset after upgrading FW and setup from scratch. Once all has been setup and is working. Do a BACKUP of the configuration to file for save keeping. Try a power cycle or reboot of the system to see if the configuration persists or resets back to default settings. If it does, I recommend you file a support ticket and notify NG about this issue. 

@Steve_Hil wrote:

I recently started having the same issue with an RBK20W kit (RBR20 Router + RBW30 Satellite).

The units had run great for several months, but then on 3/16, and again on 3/26, it tossed out the config and reset to defaults.

It also just happened again, tonight - 3/29.

I don't recall what firmware was on it, out of the box, but it had auto-updated to V2.2.1.210, a few months back.

The Orbi itself, while configured, will not see any new firmware available, so my next step is to manually update it, and get off V2.2.1.210 firmware.

As an earlier response commented, I'm not sure how/where the OP got the .44 firmware.

On the D/L pages, the available firmware is:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#download - RBR20 Firmware Version 2.3.0.28 Download File size: 28.4 MB
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBW30.aspx#download - RBW30 Firmware Version 2.3.0.4 Download File size: 18.5 MB

The devices are not in my home, but a friend's condo. I won't be able to report on any results until I'm there, tomorrow.

Other than a possible firmware issue, the only other long-shot idea I have at the moment, is to plug the base router into a better quality surge protector, rather than the cheap power-strip it's in, now. A good APC unit will provide power conditioning, as well as surge protection. It's not common, but I have seen small surges blow out saved device configs.

The router is plugged into a VZW FIOS small indoor ONT - Image @ https://bit.ly/2uzgtkv - whilch I'll also be plugging into the APC.

Unfortunately.. Orbi, like most home/SoHo routers, is utterly useless at keeping quality logs, has zero SNMP tools, and since this issue causes a full reset, any on-unit logs, are wiped out.

So, it's a bit of a crap-shoot.

Message 14 of 84
choloman
Tutor

I have the same problem. Reset router and save config? Really? That’s the lamest resolution I have ever heard of. A router should not be loosing its config after a reboot. I reboot orbi and the custom WiFi ssid is lost along with everything else I added. This product is junk.
Message 15 of 84
Phardy
Guide

Ok, got it fixed.

Tried a factory reset while on firmware 2.1.2.210, setup my configuration but the router continued to reset to default settings upon reboot.

Connected via 192.168.1.1, and manually upgraded the firmware to 2.3.1.44 on the satellite first, then the router. Completed my custom config. Rebooted, and everything was retained and working like it should.

Thanks to everyone for your input on this issue.
Message 16 of 84
Steve_Hil
Tutor

I can appreciate the 'poor password' comment, but I assure you, it is nothing that simple.

Along the way of my discoveries and testing.. hopefully it can benefit the OP or give him/her some ideas to investigate. There are no 'Red Flags' to point in any particular direction, so I'm hitting all the usual suspects, based on pure speculation and past experience. ie:

1. Bug in the router code
2. There are 2 devices on their network, I'm not 100% trusting of
3. Dirty electicity/surges from a cheap old power-strip
4. The ISP is Verizon FIOS, and they have a 2 hour limit on DHCP WAN IP assignments.
5. The Satellite is faulty

So let's tackle in sequence:

1. Bug in the router code

With regards to the Original Poster (OP) having his RBR20 firmware v2.3.1.44 auto-update, that's surprising, as my 2.2.1.210 system cannot yet see it, and while the unit had auto-updated from the version that was installed out-of-the-box, I'm not certain it can auto-update under this version. A Manual update check fails to see new available firmware, yet it's clearly posted on the RBR20 (V2.3.0.28), and RBW30 (V2.3.0.4) support pages. So I've downloaded it and am manually updating the firmware from local device.

According to the Release Notes for both Satellite and Router, the 2.3.xx versions "Added the customer firmware pull" as a bug fix. Not the most friendly piece of info. Does that mean they broke, then fix auto-update? Whatever.. When all else fails, Update and Reboot!
---

2. There are 2 devices on their network, I'm not 100% trusting of

My friends parents have 2 'Chinese TV boxes' on the network. Basically, Android streaming boxes that connect to sources to view native Chinese broadcasts.. naturally they also connect to various pirate movie sites and cable TV feeds. They also poll for UPnP, which was enabled by default on Orbi. One of those boxes had opened 2 ports, so I shut off UPnP and a device restart allowed it to resume service. Suffice to say, I'm slightly suspect of Chinese pirate streaming boxes. And I've never ever encountered a valid reason to permit UPnP on any device.. ever.

I would love to isolate these units on another VLAN or Subnet.. but that's a level of geekery that Orbi does not support, and it would just confuse the device owners and frustrate them with an overload of gadget complications.

My best option in this firmware version, is to enable Guest Networking and force these 2 boxes onto that, while restricting device visibility to other devices. In the very remote chance that one of these pirate boxes actually "hacked" into the Orbi. Doing this prevents them from having accessibility to it.

Why this isn't the default condition for all home-wifi systems, I don't know. Every device should be isolated from every other device, unless explicitly permitted.

---

3. Dirty electicity/surges from a cheap old power-strip

Easy fix. Picked up a multi-outlet APC Surge Protector / Line Conditioner. Both Orbi and the FIOS ONT will be plugged into it.
---

4. The ISP is Verizon FIOS, and they have a 2 hour limit on DHCP WAN IP assignments.

I have seen a few other posts, which have noted Orbi losing Internet connections - but not configs. Usually this happens when Orbi was rebooted. Could this be related to a new DHCP poll and assignment? Extreme Longshot, but I discount nothing. Unfortunately, unless I'm watching the logs at the moment a config loss happens, I cannot correlate the events. But I've also sat thru several new DHCP WAN updates, including one a few minutes ago, and the only impact was one of the streaming Android boxes, pausing while it reconnected across the new route.

But if this causes ORBI to lose configs, we return to Option 1 - Code bug.

It also annoys me, that lack of static-IP, as well as a ridiculous frequent DHCP update, that I cannot establish any Wan IP uptime checks to know exactly what time the box drops offline.

Additionally, the very 1st time I connected to VZW FIOS, my Orbi was replacing the VZW crappy router. VZW would not let me online until I cloned the WAN MAC of their router. The 1st time my Orbi lost configs, 2 weeks ago, when I rebuilt the config, I managed to get online without cloning the MAC. I assumed VZW loosened their sphincters.

Tonight, when I rebuilt it for the 3rd time.. I reset it to factory defaults, and once more, I was unable to get online until I cloned the old VZW router MAC. There was no question about it, because I had failed PING responses from the FIOS gateway router at the nearest POP.

Lastly.. I'd been using non-VZW DNS. Namely, Cloudflare and Quad9 DNS servers. In the past, VZW has been draconian about using their network. Because I had success using the Orbi WAN MAC and non-VZW DNS, I assume there is no longer an issue with that.

However, for the purpose of testing this, I'm going to keep the "permitted" WAN MAC clone and use VZW DNS.
---

5. The Satellite is faulty

For the purpose of testing, I deleted and unplugged the Satellite until further notice.
---

So far, I've had the problem repeat itself at 10, 7 and 3 day intervals. So now we just sit back and see if it happens again.

To the OP, and anyone else who ran into this issue.. no matter how stupid a suspect cause sounds.. fix it. If there's one thing a few decades in technology has proven to me.. it's that "Technology Blows". The more advanced it becomes, the easier it breaks.

I've been banging at this for most of the day, because the damned thing has given me fits after the firmware updates, including after 2 factory defaults resets. I'm really suspect of one of the Chinese Android-TV boxes now, because despite isolating it to the guest network - ie: I manually configured it to use a non-advertised guest SSID and prevented it from seeing other network devices - it STILL tried to reconnect to the main advertised SSID. I had changed the main SSID WiFi password, so it failed, but the fact that it actively tried to jump off the SSID I manually assigned to it, makes me suspect it.

With regards to resetting my WAN MAC to clone the old VZW router, and keep the VZW DHCP assigned DNS? Well.. thanks to their **bleep**ty settings, I'm seeing DOS attacks hit the router and being dropped. Never saw these when I used Quad9 or Cloudflare DNS and the Orbi WAN MAC.

For now, I'll stick with RBR20 firmware V2.3.0.28 and no Satellite, and we'll see how it goes over the next week or so.

This is not the type of troubleshooting I would expect, nor typically tolerate, from a Home WiFi system. Usually it's business gear that is this much of a PITA. I'm not really amused.

Message 17 of 84
Steve_Hil
Tutor

Phardy.. 

How/Where did you get ahold of 2.3.1.44?

After spending nearly all day yesterday trying to bang out the issues, some which persisted after updating to RBR20 (V2.3.0.28), and RBW30 (V2.3.0.4), I may have to look into v1.44 soon.

Otherwise, if the Orbi keeps acting up, I'll be fine with replacing it with a SoHo level Linksys and call it a day.

Message 18 of 84
Phardy
Guide

Steve_Hil

I got 2.3.1.44 from the Netgear support download page for my product - RBK22. My devices are RBR20 (router) and RBS20 (satellite).

After installing these, all the problems I was having over the last few days were resolved.
Message 19 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Try manually upgrading to v44 on your system. Seems to fix this issue if done correctly.

If you can't seem to do this, then you'll to contact NG support and ask for help and information. If need be ask for an RMA:

@choloman wrote:
I have the same problem. Reset router and save config? Really? That’s the lamest resolution I have ever heard of. A router should not be loosing its config after a reboot. I reboot orbi and the custom WiFi ssid is lost along with everything else I added. This product is junk.

Message 20 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you finally got it fixed. Seems like a good reset and upgrade to v44 will be whats needed. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. 

@Phardy wrote:
Ok, got it fixed.

Tried a factory reset while on firmware 2.1.2.210, setup my configuration but the router continued to reset to default settings upon reboot.

Connected via 192.168.1.1, and manually upgraded the firmware to 2.3.1.44 on the satellite first, then the router. Completed my custom config. Rebooted, and everything was retained and working like it should.

Thanks to everyone for your input on this issue.

Message 21 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000060755/RBR20-RBS20-Firmware-Version-2-3-1-44

@Steve_Hil wrote:

Phardy.. 

How/Where did you get ahold of 2.3.1.44?

After spending nearly all day yesterday trying to bang out the issues, some which persisted after updating to RBR20 (V2.3.0.28), and RBW30 (V2.3.0.4), I may have to look into v1.44 soon.

Otherwise, if the Orbi keeps acting up, I'll be fine with replacing it with a SoHo level Linksys and call it a day.

Message 22 of 84
Steve_Hil
Tutor

PHardy and FURRYe38, Thanks for that info.

I'd pulled my updates directly from the separate RBR20 router/ RBW30 satellite pages, where .44 was not available.

I'm still having issues with the 2.3.0.28 code, with satellite removed from the system.
It hasn't lost config since the udpate yesterday, but I've had various WiFI drops and 3 random reboots today.

Curiously, it seems related to device connectivity TO the Orbi. I found there is an Orbi https://IP-add/debug.htm page, where you can pull debug logs, enable telnet access (But NO SSH!), and enable a Lan/Wan PCAP. Finally.. geek stats!

I've also changed the Lan subnet to a 172.x.x.x network and reduced wireless strength to 75%

I'll wipe it again and push the 2.3.1.44 code, sans satellite, and see how it progresses.

I really hope that resolves the stability, because the unit had worked fantastic for months, but totally jumped the shark within the last 2 weeks, and nothing but problems, since.

Message 23 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted. 

Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 84
Phardy
Guide

So far,it’s working as it should. If something changes, I will post.

Just one thing to add, this issue started the same day a Pacific Power worker, stopped by the house and advised to expect a short outage...coincidence, or was there enough of a surge to corrupt a part of the firmware? I can’t explain it exactly.... but the firmware upgrade has certainly fixed it.
Message 25 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 83 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7