Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 Losing Configuration

VZNDAVE
Initiate

Re: Orbi RBR20 Losing Configuration

My ORbi RBR20 did a factory reset on its own 2 times in the last week. I completely lost all the setting and had start over again.. Twice now.  Has anyone found the solution to this.

Hardware Version    RBR20

Firmware Version    V2.3.1.44

GUI Language Version    V1.0.0.354

Operation Mode    Router
Message 51 of 84
CloudFirst
Aspirant

I own an RBR20 + satellite from Costco. Everything worked until today!

Updates are pushed through automatically, I believe.

Current FW rev 2.3.1.44

Symptoms that began today include:

- SSID is not visible

- System config is reset

- There's no internet

- This site is not safe to explore

Called the ISP to review their router and internet works. Their routers AP broadcast is shutoff. I use my Orbi in AP mode only.

Testing

I've only unplugged/plugged the Orbi + Satellite.

Solution

I may return this device to Costco, third in the past six months and go back to a NightHawk if NG does not provide a solution for the community.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 52 of 84
VZNDAVE
Initiate

Just got off the phone with netgear. They say it's a firmware issue. Most recent. They say they are working on it.
Message 53 of 84

@VZNDAVE wrote:

Has anyone found the solution to this.

Did your reading of this discussion find this?

Re: Orbi RBR20 Losing Configuration - Page 2 - NETGEAR Communities

It is easy to miss that sort of thing when you join in on a long running conversation with no Solved tag.

Here's another one that describes the process:

Re: Orbi RBR20 Losing Configuration - Page 2 - NETGEAR Communities

Maybe you tried it and it didn't work.

Message 54 of 84
mkepeter
Guide

Thanks for giving me somehting to try out!  I'll try the 30:30:30 reset and see what happens.  Since my issues only stem from firmware update installs, it may be a while before I update the status of my router.

Message 55 of 84
Steve_Hil
Tutor

In my case.. I had done a step-up FW upgrade from V2.2.1.210 on the RBR20 - (I didn't think to record the RBW30 Satellite FW ver) to:

RBR20 Firmware Version 2.3.0.28
RBW30 Firmware Version 2.3.0.4

That lasted about a day before I had the reboot/lost-config issue again.

I found RBR20 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44, factory-reset the config, updated the FW, factory-reset the config again and rebuilt config from scratch.

It remained stabled from Sunday night 3/31, until Saturday morning 4/6. HOWEVER.. while the router rebooted at approx 9am and again at noon.. it did not lose the config. I manually rebooted is later that day, and it did not lose the config.

Once again, just after 9pm Sunday 4/7, it rebooted while I was nearby, and I was able to jump in and grab some logs and debugs.

I'm not thrilled that it still randomly reboots, as this connection is used by someone who occasionally works remotely via corporate VPN, and requires a stable Internet connection.

But I'll grab a silver lining, since the unit has been holding its configuration.

I did notice that there is a 'crash dump' log at the root, but either it's locked or not an ASCII log. I cannot CAT the file for contents.

That aside, the remainder of the debug logs I checked, did not reveal a 'smoking gun'. But plenty of useful information.

The unit is beyond the 90 day support period, but still within 1-year hardware warranty. I'd rather see the issue resolved, than just RMA the unit, in hopes that an RMA "might" fix it.

The one thing I did not try, yet, is the 30-30-30 trick.

The unit I'm dealing with, will generally run fine for 5-10 days before it exhibits any issues. The next time I'm on-site with it, I'll blow it out, do a 30-30-30 and re-install .44 FW.

For now, I have the unit running on the RBR20 base alone. I've removed the RBW30 Satellite from the setup - and unplugged it. I've also reduced WiFi power to 75%, which provides a more appropriate range for the condo it's installed in. Possibly 50% would suffice, but I'll test that after I'm confident it's stabilized again.

I'm discounting any electrical power issues, as I'd plugged the unit into a wall-plug APC Surge/Conditioner.

With all the testing I've done, at this point I feel confident in saying, it's either an ongoing FW bug, or many of us are running into a hardware/RMA issue.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 56 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Looks like the 30-30-30 process is helping get the 20 series stable again:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Auto-firmware-update-resets-router-to-factory-default-settings...

@Steve_Hil wrote:

In my case.. I had done a step-up FW upgrade from V2.2.1.210 on the RBR20 - (I didn't think to record the RBW30 Satellite FW ver) to:

RBR20 Firmware Version 2.3.0.28
RBW30 Firmware Version 2.3.0.4

That lasted about a day before I had the reboot/lost-config issue again.

I found RBR20 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44, factory-reset the config, updated the FW, factory-reset the config again and rebuilt config from scratch.

It remained stabled from Sunday night 3/31, until Saturday morning 4/6. HOWEVER.. while the router rebooted at approx 9am and again at noon.. it did not lose the config. I manually rebooted is later that day, and it did not lose the config.

Once again, just after 9pm Sunday 4/7, it rebooted while I was nearby, and I was able to jump in and grab some logs and debugs.

I'm not thrilled that it still randomly reboots, as this connection is used by someone who occasionally works remotely via corporate VPN, and requires a stable Internet connection.

But I'll grab a silver lining, since the unit has been holding its configuration.

I did notice that there is a 'crash dump' log at the root, but either it's locked or not an ASCII log. I cannot CAT the file for contents.

That aside, the remainder of the debug logs I checked, did not reveal a 'smoking gun'. But plenty of useful information.

The unit is beyond the 90 day support period, but still within 1-year hardware warranty. I'd rather see the issue resolved, than just RMA the unit, in hopes that an RMA "might" fix it.

The one thing I did not try, yet, is the 30-30-30 trick.

The unit I'm dealing with, will generally run fine for 5-10 days before it exhibits any issues. The next time I'm on-site with it, I'll blow it out, do a 30-30-30 and re-install .44 FW.

For now, I have the unit running on the RBR20 base alone. I've removed the RBW30 Satellite from the setup - and unplugged it. I've also reduced WiFi power to 75%, which provides a more appropriate range for the condo it's installed in. Possibly 50% would suffice, but I'll test that after I'm confident it's stabilized again.

I'm discounting any electrical power issues, as I'd plugged the unit into a wall-plug APC Surge/Conditioner.

With all the testing I've done, at this point I feel confident in saying, it's either an ongoing FW bug, or many of us are running into a hardware/RMA issue.

Message 57 of 84

Yes. Pity it took some people time to even try it, despite several suggestions

An interesting wrinkle seems to be that people can save their settings, do the recovery reset, reapply those old settings, and still stay in business.

This is contrary to the usual pattern, whereby reloading settings is a good way of bringing bugs back.

Message 58 of 84
Steve_Hil
Tutor

I'm not exaggerating when I say, I've spent more time testing and troubleshooting a home-use Router/Firmware issue, then is typically required of Enterprise level network equipment.

The disdain for vendors to provide adequate technical troubleshooting tools in their gear, asserts that they consider their products to be Return/Replace if anything goes wrong.

Even if I take the 30-30-30 approach, I'll just rebuild the config from scratch, rather than import the cfg. The problem is, the reboot and/or config-loss problem, occurs randomly within a 5-10 day period, so until I see 2+ weeks of stability, there's no celebrating a 'fix'.

---------
@michaelkenward wrote:
Yes. Pity it took some people time to even try it, despite several suggestions
An interesting wrinkle seems to be that people can save their settings, do the recovery reset, reapply those old settings, and still stay in business.
This is contrary to the usual pattern, whereby reloading settings is a good way of bringing bugs back.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 59 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try the 30-30-30 method and see. 

If it still fails, then you'll need to contact NG support and ask about an RMA. 

@Steve_Hil wrote:

I'm not exaggerating when I say, I've spent more time testing and troubleshooting a home-use Router/Firmware issue, then is typically required of Enterprise level network equipment.

The disdain for vendors to provide adequate technical troubleshooting tools in their gear, asserts that they consider their products to be Return/Replace if anything goes wrong.

Even if I take the 30-30-30 approach, I'll just rebuild the config from scratch, rather than import the cfg. The problem is, the reboot and/or config-loss problem, occurs randomly within a 5-10 day period, so until I see 2+ weeks of stability, there's no celebrating a 'fix'.

Message 60 of 84
mkepeter
Guide

The ptiy for me is it took going to a community board to get any response.  I first went direclty to Netgear support for help.  After the 

obligatory "so sorry you are having problems" response, they were silent for troubleshooting tips.  I'm waiting for the next firmware auto update before I consider this issue solved.

Message 61 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

So did you do the 30-30-30 reset? You mentioned you were going to try this...

@mkepeter wrote:

The ptiy for me is it took going to a community board to get any response.  I first went direclty to Netgear support for help.  After the 

obligatory "so sorry you are having problems" response, they were silent for troubleshooting tips.  I'm waiting for the next firmware auto update before I consider this issue solved.

Message 62 of 84
mkepeter
Guide

I did do the 30-30-30 reset this weekend.  I'm hoping this will fix the issue.  

Message 63 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, let us know if it happens again...

@mkepeter wrote:

I did do the 30-30-30 reset this weekend.  I'm hoping this will fix the issue.  

Message 64 of 84
RadRob
Aspirant

I second this complaint.  I have been having the same issue as descrribed by the OP.  Also restoring the previous config fails when trying to recover from the reset and results in yet another reset.

Operation Mode    Router

This has happened several times over the last few months.  This is the first post I have been able to find that is like my issue though.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 65 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

You should give this a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Auto-firmware-update-resets-router-to-factory-default-settings...

seems to help others...

@RadRob wrote:

I second this complaint.  I have been having the same issue as descrribed by the OP.  Also restoring the previous config fails when trying to recover from the reset and results in yet another reset.

Operation Mode    Router

This has happened several times over the last few months.  This is the first post I have been able to find that is like my issue though.

Message 66 of 84
RadRob
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Message 67 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Post back on how it goes. Hopefully fix this for you. 

@RadRob wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Message 68 of 84
Steve_Hil
Tutor

All,

After some exchanges with Netgear via Facebook, they opened a support case yesterday morning, and I'll update them with references to this thread, and my personal results and testing.  However, they state they could not replicate the problem on FW V2.3.1.44.  Since the problem has been random and none of us seem able to spot any red-flag conditions to trigger it, that's not surprising.

However, please be advised, that when I checked the Orbi unit this morning, it presented the availability of V2.3.1.48 to upgrade the base router - RBR20 in my case.  My RBW30 Satellite is stil on V2.3.0.4 - however, one thing I had done, for testing, since I upgraded to FW .44 a few weeks back, was to remove the Satellite for a duration of testing.

In my case, after I upgraded to the .44 FW, my Orbi stopped loosing configs after random reboots, but I've still caught evidence of it randomly rebooting anywhere from 5-10 days. By coincidence, it happened to reboot 1-week ago, while I was near the unit and I grabbed debug logs.  

For your awareness, the Orbi has a /debug.htm page you can manually load, where you can enable on-demand debug log captures, or debug @ reboot, and download to your local system. You can also enable Telnet - no SSH - but remember to always disable Telnet when you're done. The Orbi CLI is a trimmed down Linux system, to if you know your way around Linux, the same conventions apply, and you have a functional subset of commands to use.

If there is any greater progress with Support and/or this new .48 FW version, I'll provide the updates.

Message 69 of 84
aaronka
Guide

I'm not seeing any issues with reboots etc. since I got my RMA unit a couple weeks ago and since doing the 30-30-30 reset on my satellites while running the V2.3.1.44 firmware.

I have no evidence to support this theory and it is only based on my own experiences as a software developer, but here is what I think might explain our issues.  Essentially auto-update was baked into v2.2.1.21 and once the poison pill was sent out for the v2.3.0.28 in early March our routers started to flake out due to something done wrong in either of the two firmwares and was still present even after getting to the .28 version.  I am now seeing that the .44 firmware is back to just informing me of a new version instead of just auto-update.

Message 70 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

It's also recommended to do a factory reset and setup from scratch after new FW is applied if you seem to see problems afterwards. Seen problems appear or continue after new FW is updated. Reset and setup from scratch is helping to solve these oddities. 

@Steve_Hil wrote:

All,

After some exchanges with Netgear via Facebook, they opened a support case yesterday morning, and I'll update them with references to this thread, and my personal results and testing.  However, they state they could not replicate the problem on FW V2.3.1.44.  Since the problem has been random and none of us seem able to spot any red-flag conditions to trigger it, that's not surprising.

However, please be advised, that when I checked the Orbi unit this morning, it presented the availability of V2.3.1.48 to upgrade the base router - RBR20 in my case.  My RBW30 Satellite is stil on V2.3.0.4 - however, one thing I had done, for testing, since I upgraded to FW .44 a few weeks back, was to remove the Satellite for a duration of testing.

In my case, after I upgraded to the .44 FW, my Orbi stopped loosing configs after random reboots, but I've still caught evidence of it randomly rebooting anywhere from 5-10 days. By coincidence, it happened to reboot 1-week ago, while I was near the unit and I grabbed debug logs.  

For your awareness, the Orbi has a /debug.htm page you can manually load, where you can enable on-demand debug log captures, or debug @ reboot, and download to your local system. You can also enable Telnet - no SSH - but remember to always disable Telnet when you're done. The Orbi CLI is a trimmed down Linux system, to if you know your way around Linux, the same conventions apply, and you have a functional subset of commands to use.

If there is any greater progress with Support and/or this new .48 FW version, I'll provide the updates.

Message 71 of 84
Steve_Hil
Tutor

I get what you're saying, but my challenge back to Netgear, is that, this is a band-aid approach. It means their FW and system is not properly clearing NVRAM and/or loading config files, upon either reboots or FW updates.

So the whole 30-30-30 and/or factory-reset approach, is a band-aid handed to, and putting the onus upon, the community, to overcome a Dev bug issue in the product.

I'll do it, after Netgear responds to my most recent response to them, but as of earlier today, I'm putting the issue firmly in their hands to provide a demonstrated reason for the reboots/config-loss, or demonstrate a proven fix, where the units don't randomly reboot at all.

And BTW, my unit had a random reboot overnight, 3 days after I updated to FW Version: V2.3.1.48

I've provided them with more than enough logs and support data, and offered to setup a WebEx with senior support and/or Dev.. but the issue is fully on Netgear. I've already done more than enough troubleshooting on their behalf.

------------------
@FURRYe38 wrote:
It's also recommended to do a factory reset and setup from scratch after new FW is applied if you seem to see problems afterwards. Seen problems appear or continue after new FW is updated. Reset and setup from scratch is helping to solve these oddities. 

Message 72 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree, NG should fix this and I presume they will. Hopefully next FW update. You'll have to be patient and see what happens. Good Luck. 

@Steve_Hil wrote:

I get what you're saying, but my challenge back to Netgear, is that, this is a band-aid approach. It means their FW and system is not properly clearing NVRAM and/or loading config files, upon either reboots or FW updates.

So the whole 30-30-30 and/or factory-reset approach, is a band-aid handed to, and putting the onus upon, the community, to overcome a Dev bug issue in the product.

I'll do it, after Netgear responds to my most recent response to them, but as of earlier today, I'm putting the issue firmly in their hands to provide a demonstrated reason for the reboots/config-loss, or demonstrate a proven fix, where the units don't randomly reboot at all.

And BTW, my unit had a random reboot overnight, 3 days after I updated to FW Version: V2.3.1.48

I've provided them with more than enough logs and support data, and offered to setup a WebEx with senior support and/or Dev.. but the issue is fully on Netgear. I've already done more than enough troubleshooting on their behalf.

------------------
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 73 of 84
sjayt
Guide

OP here. 

This weekend I took the advice of this thread and things I had learned, and have resolved the issue.

1) I didn't use the mobile app. I used an ethernet connected PC, and using Firefox, I connected to orbilogin.com. I had wasted lots of time at the beginning of this trying to use Chrome - which refuses to login correctly, and had to find in a forum that Chrome doesn't work. Would be nice if NG would fix that BUG.

2) I downloaded both of the new .48 firmware zip files (one for the Satellites, one for the router) and extracted the .img files).

3) I installed the satellite firmware updates first. Tedious doing three separate installs, but no problems.

4) I installed the router firmware update. No problems. I downloaded a backup config after all the updates for safekeeping.

After restarting everything, it all works. No issues at all. In fact I'm getting better connection on one of the daisy-chained satellites than before the update.

I'm ready to call this case closed. Thanks all.

Message 74 of 84

@sjayt wrote:

I had wasted lots of time at the beginning of this trying to use Chrome - which refuses to login correctly, and had to find in a forum that Chrome doesn't work. Would be nice if NG would fix that BUG

Not sure what you mean by "refuses to login correctly" but Chrome works fine here.

Message 75 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 83 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7