Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 - Security issue - Allows creation of new SSID

sunil_monet
Follower

Orbi RBR20 - Security issue - Allows creation of new SSID

I have Orbi RBR20 with Disney circle. My frustrated highschooler is able to hack into the system in the night and create a new WiFi SSID with his own name of choosing and password, plays the damn Minecraft for hours in the night without sleeping. Well, I am impressed that he can do this, he is not telling me how he is doing that. He mentioned something about changing DNS settings etc. Did anyone encounter this problem? Appreciate any help.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 - Security issue - Allows creation of new SSID

Orbi has only a single WiFi SSID/password.  If the teenager were able to change it, then every other device in the house would immediately lose connection.  My guess is that is not what he is doing.  It is more likely that he is tinkering with the settings on his computer to (a) give it a different MAC address, thus fooling Disney Circle into thinking it is a different device, or (b) changing his DNS settings from those assigned by the Orbi so as to avoid Disney Circle entirely.

I have no kids at home, and no Disney Circle on my Orbi, so I can't do any experiments.  Just personally, I would probably start with a Google search on how to get around Circle or post in the Netgear forum devoted to it: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, geez.  I just Googled "How to defeat Disney Circle".  Oh, my.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements