Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 VPN not assigning IP

kevinscott
Tutor

Orbi RBR20 VPN not assigning IP

Orbi RBR20

Router Firmware Version
V2.7.4.24

I'm able to connect using OpenVPN and Tunnelblick, but it's not using my home's IP Address.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 VPN not assigning IP

@kevinscott wrote:

I'm able to connect using OpenVPN and Tunnelblick, but it's not using my home's IP Address

Can you please explain more about "my home's IP address"

My Orbi LAN subnet is 192.168.1.x.

When I connect to the Orbi VPN, the device connecting is assigned an IP address of 192.168.2.x.

That means that Ethernet broadcast packets do not cross the VPN tunnel (in general a good thing).

There is an implied static router between the VPN tunnel and the Orbi LAN, so that I can reach any device on the LAN by its IP address.

Message 2 of 12
kevinscott
Tutor

I thought that when connecting to the vpn on my router at home, I'd be accessing the internet as if I was at home.

when I check to see what my ip address is in a brower using a site like whatismyip, I'm not getting my home ip address.

When using tunnelblick I get the message "this computer's apparent public ip address was not different after connecting to client"

Just for context, I'll be traveling internationally soon and need access to US websites that might have an international block on them.  Thank you for the help

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

(Not being an Apple person....) Some VPN clients have an option for whether ALL traffic goes through the VPN tunnel or just part of it.

suggest looking at Tunnleblick settings.

Message 4 of 12
kevinscott
Tutor

In the Tunnelblick configuration "Route all IPv4 traffic through the VPN" is set.

In the OpenVPN app, I don't see any setting like that.

Yes, I'm using Tunnelblick on a macbook pro, and the OpenVPN app on a iPhone and iPad

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Well.... this is a mystery.

I turned off WiFi on my phone and activated the WiFi Hot Spot.

Connected three different user devices to the Hot Spot:

• Windows 10 laptop
  • Linux Mint laptop
  • Android Tablet (Samsung Galaxy S6lite)

Activated the OpenVPN app on all three.

• They all appeared on the Orbi Attached Devices screen as 'vpn' and had IPs of 192.168.2.x
  • When I opened a "What is my IP?" web page, all three showed the public IP of my Orbi router.
    (Not the IP of my smartphone.)

How are you testing OpenVPN connections?

• Smartphone Hot Spot?
  • Coffee shop?
  • Friend or work network?
Message 6 of 12
kevinscott
Tutor

I tried from two remote locations and a hotspot.

With the OpenVPN I do says that Your Private IP is 192.168.2.2, it shows the correct Server Public IP and Port Number using UDPv4 protocol.  but when I go to whatismyip  it's different from my Server Public IP

With tunnelblick I get the following message in logs:

This computer's apparent public IP address was not different after connecting to client. It is still x.x.x.x

This may mean that your VPN is not configured correctly.

DNS server is known to Tunnelblick and is not being routed through the VPN.

DNS server Address 8.8.4.4 is a known public DNS server but is not being routed through the VPN

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

One of the "gotcha" things about VPN is that the IP subnet the device is on cannot be 192.168.1.x.

When I use my smartphone Hot Spot, it creates a goofy subnet which guarantees that when I VPN into the Orbi there is no conflict between subnets.

Have zero experience with Tunnelblick. Sorry.

Message 8 of 12
ekhalil
Master

In the VPN settings in Orbi there is a setting that says:

Clients will use this connection to access: (1) All sites on the internet & home network (2) Home network only (3) Auto.

What settings do you currently have?

Message 9 of 12
kevinscott
Tutor

It's currently set to "Auto"

Message 10 of 12
kevinscott
Tutor

Changing the setting from "Auto" to "All sites on the internet & home network" fixed the issue on the iPhone and iPad using OpenVPN.

Still having the issue with TunnelBlick on the MacBookPro

Message 11 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@kevinscott wrote:

Changing the setting from "Auto" to "All sites on the internet & home network" fixed the issue on the iPhone and iPad using OpenVPN.

Still having the issue with TunnelBlick on the MacBookPro

Great that th config chnage in Orbi helped with OpenVPN. Do you still see a different behaviour with TunnelBlick?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7