Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 Wifi Sucks

joeyruan
Tutor

Orbi RBR20 Wifi Sucks

I have had the Orbi RBR20 from Costco for a few months now and I have to say it sucks.Originally we had the satellite dropping the connection from the router ever minute. That was bad enough. Now we have 10 megabits down and 5 megabits up over wifi. Over ethernet however we get our normal speeds: 70 megabits down and 7 up. At the beginning I was very impressed but now I'm really not. We also have terrible bufferboat. Is there a way I can fix all these issues? Setup: Comcast Cable to Netgear C3700-100NAS (modem) with wifi off to Netgear Orbi with wifi on in router mode. The following are photos of the test with wired and wifi and my settings for the orbi. Let me know if I need to provide more info.

Wired Test: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/42216673. Wifi test: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/42216860. My settings are default except the name and password change.

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 Wifi Sucks

Try testing with the satellite OFF. 

20 feet maybe too close. What is the signal of the satellite seen on the satellite? Good, Bad? 

If you tring AP mode, the modem should have been in router mode and the Orbi in AP mode should have been passed internet traffic. DMZ will not be used in this mode on the modem. 

For Apple wireless issues:
Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Have-to-keep-rebooting-my-RBR50/m-p/1658603/highlight/false#M4...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

@joeyruan wrote:

So first of all, my apple tv is more stable when my modem wifi is on so any other options? Also, any solutions for bufferbloat or should I open a different topic about that?

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 17
joeyruan
Tutor

Thanks for responding so quickly.

FW: V2.2.1.210

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.: Maybe 20 feet with a brick wall in between them. Note that the test I took with Wifi was right next to the router. Here's a test in my office: (Actually it seems to be fixed now I'll report back when i have a bad score)

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?: I set the wifi on the Orbi to unused channels.

Settings

Disabled MUMIMO and 20/40 and Daisy Chain. The rest were already off. What exactly is a DMZ and what would be an alternative name for it? And when I disabled all the wifi on my modem and set my orbi in AP mode it wouldn't connect to the modem's internet. Also what can I do to minimize my bufferbloat?

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet maybe too close. What is the signal of the satellite seen on the satellite? Good, Bad? 

the DMZ is for passing as much traffic as possible thru the modem to the Orbi router in router mode. It can be used when the modem can't be fully bridged. 

If you tring AP mode, the modem should have been in router mode and the Orbi in AP mode should have been passed internet traffic. DMZ will not be used in this mode on the modem. 

Message 4 of 17
joeyruan
Tutor

So first of all, my apple tv is more stable when my modem wifi is on so any other options? Also, any solutions for bufferbloat or should I open a different topic about that?

Message 5 of 17
ekhalil
Master

- What wired devices do you have connected to Orbi?
- Do you see the bufferbloat issue from specific devices or all? Devices connected to satellite or even router?
Message 6 of 17
joeyruan
Tutor

- What wired devices do you have connected to Orbi?

ORBI Router:

• Laptop
  • Modem/Router/NAS
  • Apple TV
  • Switch: Arlo, Powerline
  • Powerline: Dell Laptop, 2 Printer

- Do you see the bufferbloat issue from specific devices or all? Devices connected to satellite or even router?

All devices from Android, iOS, and Windows. It affects my gaming too. It doesn't matter if it's satellite or router, it's always present.

Message 7 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Are you sure all your devices and Orbi base stations on the same IP network? Please check this.
Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

For Apple wireless issues:
Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Have-to-keep-rebooting-my-RBR50/m-p/1658603/highlight/false#M4...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

@joeyruan wrote:

Message 9 of 17
joeyruan
Tutor

How do I check if they’re on the same IP network?

Message 10 of 17
joeyruan
Tutor

For the Apple TV, it’s actually a iTalkBB. Basically an Apple TV but Chinese. Should I still use the settings that you recommended?

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

u can use the suggestions, if you don't notice any change in behavior you can revert back to default settings. 

Message 12 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@joeyruan wrote:

How do I check if they’re on the same IP network?

Please check the IP addresses of the devices one by one and check if they are having IP addresses in the same DHCP range that is set in you LAN settings in Orbi.

Message 13 of 17
joeyruan
Tutor

Those settings helped but now the bufferbloat is terrible. Any suggestions?

Message 14 of 17
joeyruan
Tutor

First of all, how do I check the dhcp range. Second, is this for bufferbloat? Third, the device that bufferbloat affects the most is wirelessly connected over 5GHZ to the satellite. Will this help that device?

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What device are you using on 5Ghz are you concerned about bufferbloat? This a gaming console? 

DHCP doen't effect bufferbloat. QoS and connecton with ISP Modem and wireless connetions can. Best to use wired connections for doing anything with buffer bloat. 

Message 16 of 17
ekhalil
Master

I agree with FURRY that DHCP should not have anything to do with bufferbloat. It was a suggestion fir your other connectivity issues.
How much bufferbloat are you experiencing? Can you please do Speed Test app and see how much Jitter the app measures.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7