Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 and 2.4GHz devices

mrsbeisly
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 and 2.4GHz devices

I have a new Shark robot vacuum that requires access to the 2.4 band.  I followed the steps outlined by @FURRYe38 in the response when I initially set it up. Unfortunately, it's no longer connected, so I'm trying to repeat these steps and even after rebooting my iPhone, I can't get off the 5.0 band. So I'm unable to reconnect the Shark.

Why doesn't Netgear make it easier to attached 2.4 devices, it should be as easy as selecting an option in the basic settings and should require all this mucking around between 3 apps, the Orbi app, Shark app and the iPhone wifi settings. What a headache.

I've turned off the broadcast of the 5g SSID but on my iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15.1.1, I select Forget this Network and when I reconnect, I'm still on the 5G network. How do I fix this?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 and 2.4GHz devices

Could you please comment on what indicates the iPhone is connected to WiFi at 5G?

(is it the iPhone itself or the Orbi app?)

(Another) of the frustrating things about the Orbi app and web interface is how long it takes them to update the status of connected devices.  I always thought, "it's a computer. the status will update faster than I can blink."  Alas, that is not the case.  There is a timer in the Orbi firmware that periodically scans for connected devices.  It can be 4-5 minutes before a device status is updated.

The robot vacuum was connected to WiFi before? (for how long?)

On the Shark TroubleShooting Guide, https://www.sharkclean.com/include/pdf/robot-troubleshooting-guide.pdf 

item #6 talks about hidden networks and mentions typing in the SSID "instead of choosing it from the list displayed in the SharkClean® mobile app".  Does the Orbi WiFi appear on the Shark mobile app?  Since the Shark can detect only 2.4G WiFi, displaying the Orbi WiFi SSID on the app would seem to indicate that it has detected the Orbi 2.4G WiFi channel.  What error message appears after selecting the Orbi WiFi?

Message 2 of 14
mrsbeisly
Aspirant

I was seeing my iPhone listed as connected to 5G even though I had turned off the broadcast function for 5G. It was listed that way on the Orbi app on my phone as well as the laptop app.

The robot was connected to the 2.4 network for 3 days.

I don't see anything related to the network in the shark app, but I can't get to the pairing mode until I can get my phone on 2.4 band. 

Message 3 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

When you use the app, Step 3 does not display the Shark WiFi?

instead of choosing it from the list displayed in the SharkClean® mobile app 

Message 4 of 14
mrsbeisly
Aspirant

I'm not sure what Step 3 you are referring to. The Shark Robot is no longer connected to Wi-fi. I have to get my phone off the 5G band and onto the 2.4 band to try to connect with the Robot. That's where I'm stuck. I have disabled the broadcast of the 5g band in the Advanced Router settings. On my phone, I disconnect and "Forget" the network but when I reconnect, I'm still on the 5G  band.

Message 5 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@mrsbeisly wrote:

I'm not sure what Step 3 you are referring to. The Shark Robot is no longer connected to Wi-fi. I have to get my phone off the 5G band and onto the 2.4 band to try to connect with the Robot. That's where I'm stuck. I have disabled the broadcast of the 5g band in the Advanced Router settings. On my phone, I disconnect and "Forget" the network but when I reconnect, I'm still on the 5G  band.

I don't know why your phone is still connecting to the 5Ghz band even after you hid its SSID.  This post also shows how you can use the admin website's Advanced settigs to reduce the 5Ghz power transmission to 25%, so your phone is more like to connect via 2.4Ghz if you're far away from the Orbi units: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-netgear-Router-Wont-Let-My-Shark-Ion-Robot-vacuum-through...

Message 6 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@mrsbeisly wrote:

I'm not sure what Step 3 you are referring to.

Totally "My Bad".  The installation directions:

https://www.sharkclean.com/include/pdf/qsg-RV1000.pdf 

The instructions say nothing about connecting the phone to 2.4G.  They say only that the WiFi system must support 2.4G, and the Orbi does.

Can you please try those instructions and describe what happens on Step 3?

Message 7 of 14
Tandemist
Aspirant

I have a similar problem with my motorized shades.

The ioT device (whether the vacuum or motorized blinds) connects to the Orbi at 2.4gHz.

That's NOT the problem. The problem is that the setup of the device requires a computer, smartphone, tablet connected at 2.4 as well.

I have found no way of forcing the Orbi RBR20 to use the 2.4 band only. The smart device connection to the router is not user-determinable.

I will also comment that many manufacturers of IoT devices don't require that both the IoT and the setup device are connected to the same band. In my experience, this includes MyQ (Chamberlain garage door openers) and Enphase (solar).

The information I have found in other posts do not apply to the RBR20.

Message 8 of 14
Tandemist
Aspirant

The instructions for the vacuum hint at the 2.4 GHZ band connection requirement without explicitly stating that the smart device MUST be connected to the 2.4 band

Here's the quote

"Note: your network
must be 2.4 GHz to
work with the app."

Message 9 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tandemist wrote:

The information I have found in other posts do not apply to the RBR20.

Could you please be more specific about which information does not apply to the RBR20?

Message 10 of 14
Tandemist
Aspirant

I was referring ONLY to instructions I have seen regarding selecting only one of the broadcast bands. That does not seem to be possible on the RBR20.
Message 11 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tandemist wrote:
I was referring ONLY to instructions I have seen regarding selecting only one of the broadcast bands. That does not seem to be possible on the RBR20.

Page 82 of the RBR20 user manual shows how to disable broadcasting the SSID of the 2.4G or 5G channel.  A common suggestion for dealing with troublesome IoT setups is to temporarily disable the 5G SSID broadcast, "forget" the Orbi WiFi, then reconnect - which will be to the 2.4G channel.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

I have no idea why Netgear seems to have removed this ability from the AX product line,, but it does remain available on the original AC Orbi products.

Message 12 of 14
Tandemist
Aspirant

Stopping the broadcast of the SSID does not effect connecting to it.

Besides the orbi does not allow separate SSIDs for each band
Message 13 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tandemist wrote:
Stopping the broadcast of the SSID does not affect connecting to it.

Yes, it does affect connection.  It does not prevent connection.

If the WiFi system is not broadcasting an SSID at 5G, then consumer devices will detect only the 2.4G access point and present it on the list of available WiFi systems.  Most devices allow the user to manually specify the SSID that they wish to connect with, and the Orbi will happily accept the manual connection.

This is one of the complaints people have with the new AX products.  Whereas the original Orbi (and almost every previous WiFi router) allowed the SSID broadcast to be turned off, the new AX products have dropped that capability.  There is an interesting argument between the people who claim not broadcasting the SSID is more secure, and those who claim it is worthless. (An internet search for "is not broadcasting ssid secure" turns up articles on both sides.)

More trivia: whereas Netgear has held firm to their policy that Orbi systems broadcast only one SSID on both 2.4G and 5G channels, the new WiFi6E system allows the 6G WiFi to have a different SSID.  WTF?  Seems goofy to me.  My guess is that they believe consumer devices may be too stupid to select a 6G WiFi signal when presented with a choice of 2.4G, 5G, or 6G.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7