Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 as VPN client?

Orbi RBR20 as VPN client?

As indicated in the subject, is there any way to connect my RBR20 to a VPN as a client?

My current ISP is Cox Cable. They provide a public IPv4 address from which I forward ports to a server on my internal network. The server has dynamic DNS software to update DNS tables if Cox changes the DHCP public address.

I'm testing T-Mobile High Speed Internet. They use CGNAT and their internal network is IPv6 only. I don't get a public IPv4 address and port forwarding is not an option, so I can't connect to my server from outside my local network.

I'm testing TorGuard VPN to create a public IPv4 address that I can forward through a VPN tunnel to the router. My GL-iNet mobile router has an option to set up the router as a VPN client, as opposed to a VPN server. Is that an option with the Orbi?

Thanks for any well-intended suggestions.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 as VPN client?

Sorry, no.  The Orbi firmware supports OpenVPN Host mode for connecting to the ORbi from the Internet.  It does not support VPN Client mode.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry, no.  The Orbi firmware supports OpenVPN Host mode for connecting to the ORbi from the Internet.  It does not support VPN Client mode.

Message 2 of 3

😞

Thanks for your reply.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7