Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 compatible Sattelite

AshrafulHasan
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 compatible Sattelite

Hi.
2 questions please.

Question 1:
I am already on an ORBI RBR20 Router with no Sattelites. I want to add a Sattelite. Which model do I need to buy that will be compatible with my RBR20?

Alternarively, in case the above doesn't work or buying a Sattelite is expensive, which ORBI Router can I buy which will allow me to use the existing RBR20 as a Sattelite?

Question 2:
When I search for a firmware update the router doesn't find any. But when I Google I see a newer firmware on the Netgear website. Why does this happen? Should I manually update the RBR20 firmware?

Thank you in advance for the help.
Regars
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 compatible Sattelite

@AshrafulHasan wrote:

With the below and the fact that I will only need 1 sattelite, I should buy no 1, right? No 2 offers the same benefit but at a higher price. No idea why though.

Will work:

1. Netgear Orbi RBR20 AC2200 Tri-band Mesh WiFi Router with Smart Parental Controls - USD126, I have this device currently at home. No.  This is another "Router".  You need a satellite.

2. Netgear RBS40 Orbi Satellite Only for Orbi Routers - USD182 Yes. This works.

3. Netgear RBS50 Orbi Satellite Only for Orbi Routers - USD235 Yes. This works.

4. Netgear Orbi RBK50 Whole Home AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (Orbi Router RBR50 + Orbi Satellite RBS... - USD261This is a "package" (router and satellite) that makes the existing router redundant (useless)

5. Netgear Orbi RBK20 Whole Home AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System (Orbi WiFi Router RBR20 & One Satellite... - USD395 This is another package (a) that costs more when it should cost less and (b) also makes the existing router redundant.

Will not work:

6. Netgear Orbi Pro SRS60 AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Wallmount Satellite - USD452 Correct. This does not work.

Of these choices, I would pick #4. Better router and a satellite.  Then sell off the existing RBR20 or keep it for a spare.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Any Orbi satellite will integrate with your RBR20 router. (Residential Orbi's.  Not "Pro". Not "AX")

The RBR20 cannot be connected to another Orbi router as a satellite.  Never.

There is serious discussion on this forum about updating Orbi firmware.  As long as you are happy with the performance of the Orbi system, the general feeling is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Many people come to this forum because they got an email from Netgear, notice on their Orbi "app", or checked the web site and updated their firmware and are now "having problems."

This is a really awkward situation.  In general, ALL computer manufacturers advise that "best practices" is to keep firmware updated. (Apple, IBM, Google, etc. etc., including Netgear).  When we see all these people frustrated because their Orbi "was OK, and now it's not.", there is a feeling of, "why didn't they just leave well enough alone."

Speaking just for myself, when I learn that new firmware is available I typically wait at least 2-3 weeks to see what the concensus is before even considering a firmware update.  For version 2.5.1.8, I waited nearly 8 weeks.

"Clear as mud?"  Sorry.

Message 2 of 4
AshrafulHasan
Aspirant

Hi and thank you for the quick response.

I am new to this and the devices available in my country are limited. Returning is challenging. So I want to be absolutely sure before I buy.

The following devices are available and to my understanding I have segregated them into 2 groups - will worth with my existing Orbi and wont work. I have also added the price tag against each.

With the below and the fact that I will only need 1 sattelite, I should buy no 1, right? No 2 offers the same benefit but at a higher price. No idea why though.

Will work:

1. Netgear Orbi RBR20 AC2200 Tri-band Mesh WiFi Router with Smart Parental Controls - USD126, I have this device currently at home.

2. Netgear RBS40 Orbi Satellite Only for Orbi Routers - USD182

3. Netgear RBS50 Orbi Satellite Only for Orbi Routers - USD235

4. Netgear Orbi RBK50 Whole Home AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (Orbi Router RBR50 + Orbi Satellite RBS... - USD261

5. Netgear Orbi RBK20 Whole Home AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System (Orbi WiFi Router RBR20 & One Satellite... - USD395

Will not work:

6. Netgear Orbi Pro SRS60 AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Wallmount Satellite - USD452

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@AshrafulHasan wrote:

Will work:

1. Netgear Orbi RBR20 AC2200 Tri-band Mesh WiFi Router with Smart Parental Controls - USD126, I have this device currently at home. No.  This is another "Router".  You need a satellite.

2. Netgear RBS40 Orbi Satellite Only for Orbi Routers - USD182 Yes. This works.

3. Netgear RBS50 Orbi Satellite Only for Orbi Routers - USD235 Yes. This works.

4. Netgear Orbi RBK50 Whole Home AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (Orbi Router RBR50 + Orbi Satellite RBS... - USD261This is a "package" (router and satellite) that makes the existing router redundant (useless)

5. Netgear Orbi RBK20 Whole Home AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System (Orbi WiFi Router RBR20 & One Satellite... - USD395 This is another package (a) that costs more when it should cost less and (b) also makes the existing router redundant.

Will not work:

6. Netgear Orbi Pro SRS60 AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Wallmount Satellite - USD452 Correct. This does not work.

Of these choices, I would pick #4. Better router and a satellite.  Then sell off the existing RBR20 or keep it for a spare.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7